Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:08 AM   #1
Baklava
macrumors 6502

Worth buying 30" Cinema Display?

Hello everyone,

when I compare all the monitors I used so far, the old Cinema Displays were the best. No glossy screen, 16:10 (I hate 16:9), very colour accurate and good design (I had the 24" model). I'm thinking of getting the 30" used and somewhere between 600-700. Good idea? Or waste of money for old technology?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:00 AM   #2
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baklava View Post
Hello everyone,

when I compare all the monitors I used so far, the old Cinema Displays were the best. No glossy screen, 16:10 (I hate 16:9), very colour accurate and good design (I had the 24" model). I'm thinking of getting the 30" used and somewhere between 600-700. Good idea? Or waste of money for old technology?
I would go with the new TB display or a more recent ACD and get an anti-glare film for it if the glossyness is bothersome.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:05 PM   #3
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
I would go with the new TB display or a more recent ACD and get an anti-glare film for it if the glossyness is bothersome.
Take that a step further and wait for the release of the upcoming TBD which should adopt the reduced glare screen of the new iMac and have a USB3 hub.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:41 PM   #4
lixuelai
macrumors 6502a

30" IPS technology hasn't changed much. You should be happy with a 30" ACD. Find one of the newer ones as it has a newer revision panel.
lixuelai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Baklava
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
I tried the film. The image looks a bit blurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
30" IPS technology hasn't changed much. You should be happy with a 30" ACD. Find one of the newer ones as it has a newer revision panel.
Happy to hear that. As I said, I had best experiences with these old metallic displays by Apple. I am doing a lot of print work. Colour accuracy is so very important for me and these old displays did a very good job even without calibration.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:40 PM   #6
The-Pro
macrumors 65816

Definitely worth it. I have 5 30" ACD's. None have any issues. Only one of them, the one that was on daily for the last 5 years has a slightly yellow tint, sadly Otherwise they are absolutely great. Three of the others where used a lot too, just not that much, no problems. And the fifth one I bought just recently, 4 months ago. Figured it would be best to get one now, and maybe hardly use it until one of the old ones fail.

I also have a Dell U3011. Also a great screen. Very similar colour, USB hub and SD slot, different input ports and you can rotate and adjust the height. No where near as pretty or as thin as the 30" ACD.
2012 15" 2.6 i7 AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP, 2009 8C 2.26 MP, 2010 4c MP,2010+07 MM, 17" 2007 MBP,20" iMac G5,17" PB G4,4x30"CD,2x23" CD, G3's,G4's, 17"iMac g4,iMac G3 turquoise,macintoshes dating to 1985
The-Pro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:17 PM   #7
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
Take that a step further and wait for the release of the upcoming TBD which should adopt the reduced glare screen of the new iMac and have a USB3 hub.
Take that a step further and wait for the second revision of the upcoming TBD with retina display.
BornAgainMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice