Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cndnrick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
I just bought my first Apple computer this past week - a brand new Macbook Pro 13.3". I completely love it so far.

As a traditional PC user, I usually adjust the power settings in my laptops so that when I put the lid down the computer simply turns off the monitor but keeps running, this way I could have the lid down all day while I'm out but my downloads could keep running.

I don't seem to see this option on the Mac power settings. Is there another way to adjust what happens to my MacBook Pro when I shut the lid? Is it safe for the computer to change this setting?

Also, a couple of quick related questions:
- what is the best bittorrent client for Mac?
- is there a website which goes over the different states (eg: sleep) that a Mac can be in? what is the best state to leave it in all day in terms of being good for the computer?

Otaillon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2009
Québec
I just bought my first Apple computer this past week - a brand new Macbook Pro 13.3". I completely love it so far.

As a traditional PC user, I usually adjust the power settings in my laptops so that when I put the lid down the computer simply turns off the monitor but keeps running, this way I could have the lid down all day while I'm out but my downloads could keep running.

I don't seem to see this option on the Mac power settings. Is there another way to adjust what happens to my MacBook Pro when I shut the lid? Is it safe for the computer to change this setting?

- is there a website which goes over the different states (eg: sleep) that a Mac can be in? what is the best state to leave it in all day in terms of being good for the computer?

I would like to know the answers as well! Personally I use Transmission wich is very simple, but there's also a beta for uTorrent

Reapur

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010

You can't do it, unless you connect the computer to an external display, and you must have the magsafe connecter plugged into the power or the computer will goto sleep.

2high2aim

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
SoCal
I havent really downloaded any torrents but I do do some video processing and just leave it open but would be really nice if I could close the lid and let it do its thing

Cephas Atheos

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Yarra valley, Victoria
How to fix this problem (Macbook Pro only)

G'day everyone,

This is my first post after a long, long time reading. I'm sorry it's such a long post, but I want Apple to see this and understand why their design sucks.

I had the same problem as the OP. In my case, I am 80% bedridden due to spinal problems, and it is a royal PITA to try and keep the Macbook working when I place it on the floor vertically. I have to open out the display and make it look like an inverted 'V'.

Needless to say, this is extremely damaging to the computer if I happen to pick it up by the display, and/or if I hit some keys while lifting it, or trip over it in the dark, or... so I have to pinch the corner of the plinth in order to pick it up.

This stresses the hell out of the frame, my arm, my shoulder, and my wife, who doesn't understand why my horrifically expensive new computer can't just be shut down like all my other laptops.

So. Here's how you fix it. It will take approximately 3-5 minutes, and can easily be reversed. You will need a good quality miniature Philips screwdriver (or jeweller's driver),and a square of double-sided sticky tape.

THis fix will result in the loss of the ability to check your battery status by pressing the hidden button. Since I've never, ever, used that "feature", I can live without it. The ability to close the cover without trashing all your connections heavily outweighs any conceivable use of the little lights!

The problem for all of us users is that Apple in its Infinite Wisdom (tm) have placed a magnet under the left-hand edge of the display, and a Hall Effect sensor in the thin film cable between the LEDs and the connector. Very cute. So the fix is to eliminate the sensor. I tried eliminating the magnet, and I have some glass in my eye and a disfigured display, still with the magnet in it. So the Hall Effect sensor is much easier to disable.

There's a short version for gurus, and a longer, blow-by-blow version for gurus-in-training.

The short/guru version is :

1) Pop off the backshell, unplug the battery indicator connector (you'll see it next to the audio out jack), stick it to the motherboard in a safe spot using the double-sided adhesive, and replace the backshell.
2) Tadaa! (or insert your own sound effect...)

If you're not sure how to complete the one-step process, but you're reasonably good with fine tools (and you can pull something apart and put it back together without having "leftovers"), here's a step-by-step guide for gurus-in-training...

What you'll need to do is :
1) Completely shut down the system. Don't just put it to sleep, shut it down.
2) Flip the Macbook on its back, and remove and keep the 10 cover screws.
3) Carefully lift off the cover/base plate, and place the screws in it so you don't lose them.
4) Locate the connector closest to the corner of the motherboard where the audio jack is, and unplug it. Use the double-sided tape to stick the little connector to the motherboard so it won't move around.
5) Replace the cover, making sure the disconnected cable doesn't get squished against the motherboard or short anything out.
6) There are 3 long screws and 7 short ones. The 3 long screws go in the rightmost three screw holes near the back of the laptop (where the display hinge is).
7) Tadaa, etc.
8) Now you can restart, and safely close the cover without aborting everything you've done for the last 5 hours.
9) You're welcome!

If you'd like photos to help, feel free to ask, and I'll post some to help out. It's truly not that difficult to find the right connector, but if you do need help, I'll take some photos and post them here.

I hope this helps everyone in the same position as all of us!

Cheers,
Pete

P.S. There are two alternatives, if you simply MUST keep the battery lights. One : place a slug of stainless steel on top of the sensor. This will prevent it from detecting the magnet's field well enough to trigger. Two : desolder the sensor. Much better, but needs serious soldering skill.

Toby Ziegler

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Gallifrey
Sure, you could do that and likely void your warranty.

Or you could get something like Caffeine or NoSleep and fix it on the software side.

Caffeine is in the Mac App Store and NoSleep can be picked up here.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
G'day everyone,

This is my first post after a long, long time reading. I'm sorry it's such a long post, but I want Apple to see this and understand why their design sucks.

Given you're a vendor you should know that this is not an Apple owned forum. So your diatribe may be better suited by a complaint direct to them.

Cephas Atheos

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Yarra valley, Victoria
Or you could get something like Caffeine or NoSleep and fix it on the software side.
That's the first thing I tried. Caffeine wasn't built for my OS revision then (this is my first Apple computer, and I was 20 years out of date with UNIX at that time), and NoSleep crashed the OS.

When I eventually upgraded to 10.6, nothing was available that worked for a couple of weeks (remember, I'm new to the Mac, so I didn't know where to look, and many of my searches ended up at years-outdated sites), then when it was downloadable and working, I'd upgraded to 10.7, and it stopped working again.

So from my perspective as an ex-hardware guru, I felt less compunction making the hardware work the way I expected and demanded, than to bring myself up to speed on the nuances of installing and building source packages that crashed the next time the OS updated! I know it's not the developers' fault, that's not my point.

But thanks for the interest. If I can get my head around Cocoa, I might be able to do something for the community software-wise, but I'm still climbing the learning ladder!

Cheers,
Pete

Cephas Atheos

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Yarra valley, Victoria
Given you're a vendor you should know that this is not an Apple owned forum. So your diatribe may be better suited by a complaint direct to them.
Hmm. I had no idea I was a "Vendor". Simply because I was asked for a "Business name" when registering here, I put in the name of my audio restoration (i.e. non-Apple-related) business. Now I'm an Apple vendor? Woo hoo! I thought it was much harder to break into that market? :D

My "diatribe", as you so quaintly hiss it, is the opinion of someone with a severe physical disability, that results in my relying on some basic, elementary, logic on the part of people and companies who design and build computers - that is, computers for use by someone other than themselves.

This is not evident in my Macbook Pro - which, by the way, I wouldn't give up for all the coffee in Samsung's boardroom right now. - This computer, quite bizarrely (for a modern computing device), instantly shuts down all communications when the lid is closed, with no notification that this would happen, as there are no manuals that come with said laptop that explain what all the buttons and hidden magnets are "for". Nor does it have a delete key. WTF? But that's another "diatribe".

I really enjoy the technology that I have sitting on my lower stomach and leaning back against my legs right now. I enjoy the engineering skills that have gone into the hardware, I enjoy the fact that I can now dip into the underlying OS with a few key presses and do stuff I haven't done for over 20 years with UNIX, and I enjoy the incredible level of support I get from Apple.

What I dislike are things like the lack of manuals for new users, especially new Windows users who are trying to figure all the buttons out (they aren't documented on the shipped computer, you have to google them!!!), the fact that I need to make a support call to figure out what the little power button does (since it's not documented anywhere I could find it in the first 4 months I owned it), and I really dislike the fact that this computer, unlike 99% of the laptops on the market today, doesn't allow a new user to configure what happens when he closes the lid. Nor, by the way, is that little factoid mentioned anywhere online, in any reviews, or in any documentation, which of course, doesn't actually exist.

There are many things I enjoy about the computer, the support people, and the community. There are some things I don't. When I mention the things I don't enjoy, that is not a "diatribe". That is an opinion. I could do a diatribe, but the sun is shining, the birds are singing, the cat's asleep on the wicker chair, and I have to keep learning how to make NS disable the lid button.

----------

Holly crap mate. Surely there is something more "elegant?"
I kind of agree and disagree...

I agree that there should be a Preferences item for the lid closing behaviour. That's both elegant and expected!

I disagree, because all the software alternatives break down each time Apple pushes out an upgrade to the OS. So I upgrade, forget that it's likely to break at least one thing that I've come to rely on, continue my work, then -poof- I close the lid, expecting not to lose my connections.

So for me, as an ex-hardware guru, the, er, "least inelegant" solution was to pop the connector. Problem "solved". Specially since I've never used the battery lights in my whole ownership of the most lovely laptop in the world.

I wonder if Apple will name a device after me?:eek:

When you hear "yecannahandamanagranderspanner", think of me. Inelegant, and proud!

Cheers mate!
-Pete in Melbourne

Redwyvern

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
Yonkers, NY
This is what I use

You can Google for the app NoSleep. It allows you to close the lid without sleeping, therefore keeping your internet connection alive, and your download... downloading! I believe I got it from MacUpdate website, and yes, best of all, it was free!

I hope this helps.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I use caffeine, I reckon it'll knacker your macbook if you use it too much though

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Set the computer to turn the screen off after x amount of minutes, what's it matter to you if the lid is up or down, the screen on or off if you're not even in the room in the first place?

I use transmission for torrents, simple, trouble free, ad free, and very low on resources.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Set the computer to turn the screen off after x amount of minutes, what's it matter to you if the lid is up or down, the screen on or off if you're not even in the room in the first place?

I use transmission for torrents, simple, trouble free, ad free, and very low on resources.

I agree, the only thing I would worry about is leaving the display on for that many hours, but with screen/energy savers it will just turn off anyway, seems better just to leave it open on your desk or whatnot. Can anyone shed some light on why they prefer to do this?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Shift-Option-Eject to sleep your display without sleeping the computer.

Use the power button instead of the eject button if that's what's on the keyboard.

Beecker

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
Michigan

I'm not sure if anyone as told you. Its a program call "no sleep".

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37991/nosleep

I have it on my brand new MBP and just grabbed it a few days ago and works perfectly. You can set it to stay awake when plugged in and on battery which I don't recommend. Hope it helps.

ALSO... In you're power settings turn off when your "Computer Sleep". When you have No Sleep installed and you shut you're lid your screen still turns off. If your sleep is still set, it will kick your internet and everything else as well.

Last edited:

DT39

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
I'm using InsomniaX a fair bit it's up to date works with mountain lion just fine! :D

Cephas Atheos

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Yarra valley, Victoria
I'd like to express my gratitude to everyone who's suggested different software to fix the problem.

It's great to see that there are so many different solutions around to address the design shortcoming! There is an amazing developer community!

Of course, now that I've popped the connector, I don't need any software at all. The Macbook works just the way I need!

But I'm sure there are plenty of other users who don't want to dig into their machine, so keep the ideas coming! There's no such thing as too many alternatives!

Cheers,
Pete

Toby Ziegler

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Gallifrey
I'd like to express my gratitude to everyone who's suggested different software to fix the problem.

It's great to see that there are so many different solutions around to address the design shortcoming! There is an amazing developer community!

Of course, now that I've popped the connector, I don't need any software at all. The Macbook works just the way I need!

But I'm sure there are plenty of other users who don't want to dig into their machine, so keep the ideas coming! There's no such thing as too many alternatives!

Cheers,
Pete

I'm sorry, but if ever there was an appropriate time to invoke Apple's "you're using it wrong" response, this would be it. You're advocating warranty busting hardware changes to solve an issue that's easily fixed with a freely downloadable tweak. It's not a shortcoming that the computer sleeps when closed since the fans are blocked when the lid is closed. The computer is working as designed and intended.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
When I need to do something like that, I just turn the brightness all the way down on the display and leave it open... why not? Probably improves cooling.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
When I need to do something like that, I just turn the brightness all the way down on the display and leave it open... why not? Probably improves cooling.

This is what i do when air playing a tv show or something to my tv. Now if only we could get a little "airplay this video" button like in iOS so we don't have the mirror the entire freaking screen. Takes up more cpu to do the whole screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.