Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

missraffix3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
So I was just charging my computer and when the battery was full, I removed the charger. However, the charger was still lit up! It even remained lit up for a few seconds when I unplugged the charger from the wall. I have no idea what's going on. Has this ever happened to anyone? Or does anybody know how to fix it so it won't happen again?

Nov 28, 2010
located
It has happened to me with several chargers, it seems to be a normal behaviour.

PS: Why do you remove the charging cable after the battery has been charged, unless you need the mobility?

missraffix3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
PS: Why do you remove the charging cable after the battery has been charged, unless you need the mobility?

I heard that with lithium ion batteries it's best to keep them going through the cycle of being charged then draining. It keeps them working longer.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I heard that with lithium ion batteries it's best to keep them going through the cycle of being charged then draining. It keeps them working longer.

Modern Macs use batteries not bound to that ancient method anymore.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

missraffix3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013

My computer or charger...? Either one, no thanks. Both are pricy to replace. Plus I'm testing the charger again now and it may have just been a weird fluke.

----------

Read the guide I linked to, it should help you understand your battery better and not wear it down unnecessarily.

Yeah, I read some of it. Like about the 1,000 full charging cycles and how to check my battery status.

----------

Read the guide I linked to, it should help you understand your battery better and not wear it down unnecessarily.

Also, I never let it fully drain before I charge it, just so we're clear. I tend to charge it when it gets to about 25% (red bar) or when the alert pops up.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY

Girlfriend used to do this, her battery is crap now. 400-500 cycles and most of them were stationary, at a desk. She was unplugging it when charged for no reason because she thought the MacBook would overcharge itself. :(

missraffix3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Girlfriend used to do this, her battery is crap now. 400-500 cycles and most of them were stationary, at a desk. She was unplugging it when charged for no reason because she thought the MacBook would overcharge itself. :(

That's what I thought too, but like I said, I never let it fully drain to 0% before charging it. So not many full cycles were completed.

skinny*k

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
California
@ missraffix3, Is your charger made by Apple, or is it a clone? The green LED means that full power is being delivered, and the non-Apple chargers do not communicate with the MacBook's charging system, so they always deliver full power. The Apple charger adjusts to what the MacBook needs, and only delivers full power when its needed. The Apple charger is better, but an 'always on' green LED on a non-Apple charger is nothing to worry about. If it is an Apple charger, I suggest taking it and your laptop to the Genius Bar to see what's wrong.

@ Everyone, If saving battery cycles means anything to you, it is better to run your MacBooks from the charger whenever you can, and when you do need to run off of the battery, go ahead and use the battery until it runs down, so that you'll always do a FULL recharge. The LiPo batteries aren't harmed by partial recharges, but every recharge cycle counts, even if its only 10%.

The MacBook will shut-down before the battery is drawn down below its safety limit.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
That's how long it takes for the electrons at one end of the cable to reach the other end. So even when you unplug it some charge remains. Perfectly normal.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
That's how long it takes for the electrons at one end of the cable to reach the other end. So even when you unplug it some charge remains. Perfectly normal.

Did you seriously think that through?

It has nothing to do with speed. There are capacitors inside of the assembly. These capacitors hold charge, hence light after unplugging it.

Ugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.