Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:32 AM   #1
Feeex
macrumors newbie

Guys,

I've searched the internet high and low for a solution but can find nothing. So I'm hoping somebody here can help........

I recently bought a 13" MBP which I love dearly! However, a colleague in my newly formed company does not want to stray from his trusty Vaio laptop.

On my MBP I have installed and am running succesfully the latest Office for Mac 2011 with Outlook. However, we seem to have identified a significant short-coming of the new software. As we work with the same clients, we want to share contacts (and emails and calendars too) but the new Outlook will only export contacts (and other Outlook info) in the .olm format. To get it into Outlook 2010 for PC or even Apple Mail for that matter, the format needs to be .pst or .mbox.

Does anybody know of a way that we can export as .pst or convert .olm to .pst or .mbox so that we can share information across platforms? I have even looked for third party software but none seems to have included the new .olm format yet.

This seems like a huge oversight by Microsoft.........

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Just to add insult to injury, it appears that I cannot sync Outlook directly with my iPhone so am considering going back to Mail/iCal/AddressBook but the same issue applies, .olm files cannot be read by Mail..........!!

Last edited by MacDawg; Feb 16, 2011 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function to avoid consecutive posting
Feeex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:19 AM   #2
balamw

The simplest workaround is to use an IMAP4 server as a go-between.

You can add the IMAP4 server as a separate account in one e-mail client and then pick it up in another that uses the desired format.

http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/ doesn't seem to support OLM, but does seem to have added an IMAP4 server.

Usually folks want out of PST, and emailchemy works great for that.

EDIT: FWIW that's also where keeping your e-mail/contacts/calendar on the server makes a lo more sense that keeping it on your laptops. Microsoft Exchange and Google Apps (which can mimic Exchange mostly) make that a lot easier.

B

Last edited by balamw; Feb 16, 2011 at 07:28 AM.
balamw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Feeex
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response Balamw.

I understand that if you know about this issue before you start using Office 2011 for Mac there is a way round it, but it's too late now and I'm trying to find a way of sharing info with a colleague.

We are a very small company and as such do not use Exchange server or bother with keeping emails on a central server.
Feeex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 08:57 PM   #4
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeex View Post
We are a very small company and as such do not use Exchange server or bother with keeping emails on a central server.
Google Apps caters to businesses of all sizes and for small companies it costs $50/user/year. You've probably missed more than $100 in business by not keeping e-mail/contacts/calendar on a central server.

If you'd prefer to stick with a Microsoft based server you can get hosted Exchange for not much more. I've seen some for $10/user/month.

Migration "to the cloud" isn't hard. Add the new account to your e-mail client and/or device and copy items over to the new structure from within the client.

B
Old May 15, 2011, 07:56 PM   #5
clark1
macrumors newbie

I am reading through the forum in preparation for ordering first Apple computer. Outlook for PC, at least 2003 version, has the option of exporting to Vcard, .vcf file. When emailed, the opened attachment can be opened and saved to the receiving Outlook. Though I have not tried, the option to export to Vcard is there for Calendar as well. Are these options available for Mac Office and will exported files open and save for PC from Mac and vice versa?

Thanks,
Will
clark1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2014, 07:16 AM   #6
kathywillis
macrumors newbie

OLM to PST Converter is the best choice when it comes to migrating to MS Outlook from your existing Outlook for Mac with all the emails and mail components intact.

Read More:- http://www.filesrecoverytool.com/olm...converter.html
kathywillis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2014, 06:08 AM   #7
joshtaylor3112
macrumors newbie

Share Files from Mac Outlook 2011 OLM to MBOX/PST

If you want your Mac OLM mails in MBOX format, then itís quite easy, just use Drag and Drop method to get OLM files in MBOX format, directly you can drag any mails or folder from Mac outlook 2011 email client to your own Mac platform (any desired location of your PC), when the OLM files will drag from Outlook 2011 to PC then it will be automatically converted into MBOX format, after this you can import these MBOX files on your desiring MBOX supportive platforms.

Or if you are required to access your OLM mail data from Outlook 2011 to Windows Outlook (any edition of MS-Outlook i.e. 2013, 2010 etc.), you can perform this task via manually or with the use of a third party tool. The manual method is not trustworthy, somehow you can try any third party tool that helps you to convert your OLM files to PST format. Before using any tool, just as you have to share OLM database from Mac Outlook 2011 email client (from the actual location of OLM archive files) on your preferable location, then share this database with any of your preferable platform via mail or other known way. After receiving OLM mail data from one end, now its time for accessing these data on the Windows supportive PST format, just with the assistance of a third party tool you can convert your OLM files to the Windows Outlook PST format.

Here I am recommending a best solution that helps you for making this conversion accurately possible (OLM to PST conversion).

Source Link: http://outlook2011mactowindows.wordp...file-exporter/
joshtaylor3112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac