Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Boise, ID
So my son's iTouch 4g got some bent pins on the dock connector. It will charge, but not sync. I also have an old 2nd gen Touch that has a cracked screen, does anyone know if I can take the dock connector out of the 2g and put it in the 4g, or are they not compatable? I've never taken one apart, and I'd like to find out if it's even possible before I start... thanks!

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Someone with more experience can probably give you a definite answer, but it looks like the dock connector is soldered onto the logic board, so it looks pretty much impossible.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
So my son's iTouch 4g got some bent pins on the dock connector. It will charge, but not sync. I also have an old 2nd gen Touch that has a cracked screen, does anyone know if I can take the dock connector out of the 2g and put it in the 4g, or are they not compatable? I've never taken one apart, and I'd like to find out if it's even possible before I start... thanks!

I've never done it on the iPod touch but I did a 30 pin dock connector swap on some iPod classic with some success. The dock connector assembly was just soldered at 2 point on either side of the connector to the PCB. It wasn't hard to solder it. The hard part was removing the old solder without melting other soldered components on the PCB. And it was also a little tricky to make sure all the pins of the connector were resting on the PCB after I soldered the connector in place.

zhris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Boise, ID
I watched the video posted above, and it looked like each pin had it's own solder point (and I don't even own a solder gun!). Thanks for the advice, it looks like it'll be easier just to replace it.

Thanks!

Firesign3394

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
Minnesota
I watched the video posted above, and it looked like each pin had it's own solder point (and I don't even own a solder gun!). Thanks for the advice, it looks like it'll be easier just to replace it.

Thanks!

You could use wifi sync with iTunes and continue charging the iPod with the cable if that still works.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
You could use wifi sync with iTunes and continue charging the iPod with the cable if that still works.

Wifi sync is a joke. Most of the time it refuses to find my device even after rebooting everything then I can just open iTunes at a random time and it will work but then if I open it again it will not see the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.