Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTyler82

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Amongst playing games, and social networking, I use it to read. I have over-active sweat glands in my palms, and a nice case on an iPad, allows me to read without ruining a book.

LightOnAHill

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I use it for lots of things.

For fun:
Web surfing, reading, forum posting
Facebook
Games sometimes...
Music to my jambox :cool:
Photos sometimes

For work (I use it a lot at work, which is why I bought it) -- attorney:
Second window on the code or a case so I can work on the pleadings next to it on the 11" Air

Showing the client a document in court - I have all my client files 100% digital and on my law firm dropbox account, so they can read the doc while I continue working on my laptop in court

I use the mini in court to read my notes when I'm making oral argument before a judge or jury, and I can type on it pretty quick so for short notes ill use the mini. If I need to take serious notes, I whip out the Air cause I used to work as a medical transcriptionist so I can type close to 200 words per minute and get everything that is said word for word.

The mini fits in my suit jacket pocket, so for simple hearings ill roll into court with only the mini in my suit jacket, and literally have my whole law firm there accessible

I send faxes from my mini using metro fax, which can fax directly from dropbox, so that's sweet. I can prep the doc on the laptop, save it, and then fax it right there on the ipad. I also receive faxes and can save them right into the right folder on the mini

I use signeasy to be able to sign documents on the mini. I had a client sign the representation contract yesterday using their finger on the ipad. Very powerful tool here. I could get a doc faxed to me, I can review it and then sign it and fax it right back all on the mini

Of course I can do all the same on my iPhone 5 64, were I to have to. Essentially I could bust into court with just my cell phone and still have everything I need.

The iPhone dictation button and the mini dictation button makes it easy to dictate notes into the client case notes word document

I use documents to go on both the iPhone and mini because it syncs well with dropbox

Photobucket is good too

I use scanning software on the mini and iPhone to take documents and make them PDF when I'm away from my main scanner in my office...

I could go on, but I think I got the idea across.

The ipad mini is this litigator's dream tool!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Laundry list:

media consumption
spreadsheet, word doc, PowerPoint editing
Dropbox
Google Drive
email
web browsing
viewing textbooks
calendar
messaging
signing my timesheets for my various internships, jobs, etc.
playing games
camera, video calling

I only use my MacBook Air for long coding sessions and working in VMs.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
There are so many threads about this topic.
Anyway, I use my iPad for checking tweets, FB, reading news/sports, watching movies, and play some games. :apple:

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
things i do with my ipad. check security cameras and review footage, compose music, remote into my windows desktop, log into my 4tb server for whatever i need, shoot reference footage for motion analysis, make free worldwide calls, video chat with family, use ipad as a remote fader bank for my DAW workstation, watch netflix, stream video wirelessly to tv, edit video, shoot time lapse high def movies, take language lessons, and about 100 more things.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I use it 60% for the web and the rest is for playing games. I was thinking of getting a MBP but I seriously doubt I would use it. I also use the iPad to fall asleep. I run relax melodies and listen to sounds of ocean waves. I now sleep like a baby. :)

miltonbull

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Sweden
Web browsing, Netflix, spotify with air play. Tweeting, Fb, games, reading, mail, small notes. I'm a light user and don't really need a computer any longer. iPad mini and a iPhone 5 is all I need in my life. Using Dropbox for some file storage.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
My personal iPad:
Reading email, browsing the web, playing music, catching up on TV etc, a few games, light photography, reading books/magazines, reading/viewing class materials, journaling, making travel plans, video chats with the family, organizing a recipe database to replace scads of photocopies, cards etc

And so on. I also have an older iPad that is my home remote that controls my Apple TV, Nest, lights etc.

My work iPad.
Reading emails, chatting with other units filming at different locations, reading scripts, viewing location photos and videos, shooting and organizing hair and makeup shots for continuity notes, writing up call sheets, viewfinder, logging shot details, filming and editing on the fly behind the scenes bits, showing shot renders to the actors for stunt scenes and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.