Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardinal724

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Hey guys,

Has anyone here ever used the Open Asset Import library (Assimp) in order to import 3D models into XCode?

I've having a very difficult time figuring out how to build the library and then link it with my existing XCode project.

The website for Assimp says to use the program CMake and offers this graphic as an instruction: ( http://assimp.sourceforge.net/lib_html/cmake_build.html )
but it's vague (at least to me) and can't get it to work right.

So if you've downloaded Assimp, if you would be able to give me a clear step-by-step set of instructions of exactly what it is I need to do, that would really be doing me a *huge* favor.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
What do you mean "import 3D models into Xcode"? Do you want to add assets to a specific app, or make it so that the app can use the asset library?

As for making the library on OS X, cmake might be slightly better than configure. I think the cmake system can make an OS X framework that can be imported into the Xcode build process.

cardinal724

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
I merely meant to say that I plan on using the Assimp library to import 3DS or .obj files into my current xcode project.

At Starfox: Thank you for your link! I've downloaded the files but just have one more quick question. In order to integrate this with my existing XCode project can I simply copy the code files in the folder 'code' into my project or is there something else I have to do as well?

Last edited:

Starfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
I merely meant to say that I plan on using the Assimp library to import 3DS or .obj files into my current xcode project.

At Starfox: Thank you for your link! I've downloaded the files but just have one more quick question. In order to integrate this with my existing XCode project can I simply copy the code files in the folder 'code' into my project or is there something else I have to do as well?

Build the library via Xcode and it'll give you a .a file that you can link with your main project.

cardinal724

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Build the library via Xcode and it'll give you a .a file that you can link with your main project.

Okay, I guess the reason I'm confused still is because the package seems like it has already been built. There are just a lot of files so I don't know how I'd go about building it in XCode. I had trouble understanding the CMake and Install files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.