Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
What's special about sunday? And why jailbreak it anyway?
sundays is the day the new jb will prob come out.
Nope, I pay for apps.

The ethical and moral approach.
You kids don't know anything. *Many like me jb for the tweaks to make my device work the way I want to. Also, you can see many people excited for the jb for the tweaks. From NCsettings to about 20 or so more tweaks that I will install on my device. There is nothing unethical or immoral about jb. If you guys/gals don't know what it means to jb then don't just blurb out and comment about something you don't know.
Okay, so how do you pirate apps without jailbreaking?
ATM the app to download pirated apps is shut down and still a lot of people want to jb to get their tweaks. And yes, there is a way to pirate apps now w/out being jailbroken, is run by a chinese company.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I don't own an iPod, but my iPhone and iPad mini will be getting some added functionality this Sunday. :)

And, as one who's jailbroken phones in the past and certainly will this time around as well, I can tell you I have never pirated a single app. That is NOT the main reason for jailbreaking. Great improvements to the UI, massive customization and some really great functional improvements and tweaks as well.

For instance: if someone tries to unlock my phone unsuccessfully, it will take a picture of them and e-mail it to me with their location. Brilliant idea, and frankly I'm amazed Apple hasn't done this yet. Plus, quick access to settings, swiping across the keyboard to move the cursor back and forth, weather in the lock screen, widgets, custom icons, layouts, etc....nested folders, multi-page folders, custom folder icons, etc.....and the list goes on and on.

Last edited:

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
The ethical and moral approach.

Narrow minded is thinking everyone who JB's their devices do it for free apps.
Some of us do it to bring iOS up to the level of Android, windows 8 and not BB. Apple should be embarrassed that BB surpassed them. :(

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Okay, so how do you pirate apps without jailbreaking?

You can pirate by simply by having a developer certificate.

People jailbreak for the ability to have other tweaks to their phone. Please educate yourself next time. You have absolutely no idea what your talking about.

slowsupra

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2013
Still on the fence, I will probably do it just to mess around but when a new update comes out I'll just wipe and go back. Seeing all the "first app you will install" lists there is nothing in there that I really want that much. I just came from an android phone and rarely used the toggles so SBsettings and those are "meh" in my book. It would be nice to have em but I have yet to miss them. I don't like a cluttered lockscreen (especially when it's just the notifications) and I have yet to see a theme that is worth using like android themes they all look like they were made by a teenager and not a team of highly paid artists. I think activator so I can get an easy way to turn on the flashlight is the only thing I really really want.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Still on the fence, I will probably do it just to mess around but when a new update comes out I'll just wipe and go back. Seeing all the "first app you will install" lists there is nothing in there that I really want that much. I just came from an android phone and rarely used the toggles so SBsettings and those are "meh" in my book. It would be nice to have em but I have yet to miss them. I don't like a cluttered lockscreen (especially when it's just the notifications) and I have yet to see a theme that is worth using like android themes they all look like they were made by a teenager and not a team of highly paid artists. I think activator so I can get an easy way to turn on the flashlight is the only thing I really really want.

Coming from android and being new to jailbreaking my guess is that you will get hooked soon enough. JB is so much more than the odd apps/tweaks on the first install post...

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Nope, I pay for apps.

So ignorant it's beyond belief.

1. You no longer need to jailbreak to install cracked IPA's.

2. Installous is no longer available meaning pirating of apps is a lot more difficult and will be less widespread.

3. People jailbreak to fill in the gaps Apple won't bother to do or won't entertain giving us.

4. Why are you so against jail breaking with your obvious limited understanding and knowledge of it?

slowsupra

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2013
Coming from android and being new to jailbreaking my guess is that you will get hooked soon enough. JB is so much more than the odd apps/tweaks on the first install post...

Well I had a 3g and a 3gs both were jailbroken but that was back when you needed to do it for multitasking and a few other things that have been worked into iOS. I am sure you're right though I'll try it and than used to having 4 or 5 things and update to 6.1.2 or whatever and get reminded how much I miss it.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Why are you here in the jailbreak section then?

Just happen to see the title while browsing.
I answered the OP's question. I would think they wanted a mix of opinions rather than a circle jerk of jailbreakers.

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Nope, I pay for apps.

I'm going to feed the self-righteous troll. Proclaim it on the mountain tops that you don't jailbreak! If that helps you feel like a good person without doing anything, good for you.

To join in the chorus, you know nothing of jailbreaking. Many jailbreak just to see the filesystem. Some just want the live icons or widgets. Others like little tweaks to change how iOS works, and the rest download apps that weren't accepted into the app store because of the rules. Pirated apps are NOT endorsed by those that make Cydia. You have to manually add a repo to get a pirating tool, which Cydia explicitly advises against. Also, installous just shut down recently.

Continue to stand on your moral high ground, while the rest of us enjoy tweaking our iOS devices. :cool:

indiekicks

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2012
Yep, ASAP.

Oh, and pirating apps is the farthest thing from my mind. I'm in it for the tweaks and the customizing! :cool:

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I am going to jailbreak my iPhone, iPad mini, and iPad but the thread is asking about iPod and I'm in no hurry to jailbreak my iPod touch.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I am going to jailbreak my iPhone, iPad mini, and iPad but the thread is asking about iPod and I'm in no hurry to jailbreak my iPod touch.

Oh yes...... I'm jailbreaking 3 Iphone 5's (wife, daughter and mine), one 3GS, 3 Ipad 2's and 1 Itouch! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.