Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:20 PM   #1
redsoxfan320
macrumors member

Sprint iPhone on ATT? Still Not Possible?

Is it still not possible to use a Sprint iPhone on AT&T assuming that you can unlock the device? I know that I've read a while ago that it wasn't but I am just checking again.

Thanks.
redsoxfan320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Nathan21585
macrumors member

They run on different networks. So no it will never be possible.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:24 PM   #3
redsoxfan320
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan21585 View Post
They run on different networks. So no it will never be possible.
Well I understand that, but does that mean the sim card slot on Sprint and Verizon iPhone for that matter are dead?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:32 PM   #4
AutoUnion39
In Time-Out

I think sprint blocks it, unlike Verizon.
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:35 PM   #5
C DM
macrumors 604

If the device is unlocked (essentially its GSM side) then it would be possible to run it on essentially any GSM network that the phone supports (you won't get LTE though on those networks as the bands/frequencies they use won't be supported by the phone).
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan320 View Post
Well I understand that, but does that mean the sim card slot on Sprint and Verizon iPhone for that matter are dead?
If you you talking about the iPhone 5:

Verizon's SIM card slot is unlocked for use on any GSM network. It will only get HSPA+ on AT&T. It has different LTE bands than AT&T.

Sprint's SIM card slot is locked. Sprint will unlock it, but it will only work on GSM networks outside of the US. So, it won't work on AT&T.
Baggio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:48 PM   #7
redsoxfan320
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post
If you you talking about the iPhone 5:

Verizon's SIM card slot is unlocked for use on any GSM network. It will only get HSPA+ on AT&T. It has different LTE bands than AT&T.

Sprint's SIM card slot is locked. Sprint will unlock it, but it will only work on GSM networks outside of the US. So, it won't work on AT&T.
So an iPhone 5 from Verizon will work on ATT just no LTE. What about an iPhone 4S?

Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:55 PM   #8
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So an iPhone 5 from Verizon will work on ATT just no LTE. What about an iPhone 4S?

Thanks
I am not 100% sure about the 4S. I think it is similar to the Sprint iPhone 5, in that Verizon can unlock it, but it can only be used on GSM networks outside of the US.

If you need an AT&T phone, buy an AT&T phone. Not sure why anyone would buy a Verizon phone for AT&T unless you are from a European country and only plan to be in the US for a short time and want the iPhone 5 for LTE coverage in Europe.
Baggio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:51 AM   #9
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
If the device is unlocked (essentially its GSM side) then it would be possible to run it on essentially any GSM network that the phone supports (you won't get LTE though on those networks as the bands/frequencies they use won't be supported by the phone).
Yes, but VZW and Sprint are CDMA, so doesn't help OP. T-Mob is the only other GSM provider in the US, but it's 3G data is not compatible w/ ATT, only voice. You can still get 2G on an unlocked ATT iPhone w/ Tmob, but 2G! Yikes.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:06 AM   #10
scaredpoet
macrumors 601

Quote:

Thanks
The iPhone 4S is a different matter. At the time the 4S came out, Verizon wasn't actively trying to play nice with the government on net neutrality rules and spectrum issues. So they will only unlock the 4S for GSM carriers outside of the US.

Short answer: No, the 4S won't work on AT&T because Verizon treats the two phones differently.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Yes, but VZW and Sprint are CDMA,
In this case that doesn't matter. While those networks are CDMA, the iPhone 5 that Sprint/Verizon are selling can technically operate on both GSM and CDMA 3G networks. Sprint locks theirs for GSM, Verizon doesn't.

If you don't believe me, see for yourself:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/21/...m-3g-networks/

Quote:
T-Mob is the only other GSM provider in the US, but it's 3G data is not compatible w/ ATT, only voice.
I don't mean to sound rude, but in this case, I don't think you really understand what you're talking about here.

T-Mobile's network is a GSM/HSPA+ network, just like AT&T. If you put an AT&T iPhone on a T-Mobile network, voice will work fine. Data will also work, but in some areas the 3G network operates on different frequencies than the iPhone is equipped to listen for. They're working to change that, though, and over about 95% of their network, T-Mobile 3G is already working fine on iPhones.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/T-Mob...-Sandy_id36196

Other than the spectrum issue, which T-Mobile is working to mitigate, the 3G technology they and AT&T use are exactly the same.

Last edited by scaredpoet; Feb 2, 2013 at 08:12 AM.
scaredpoet is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone