Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
This is gonna make me look stupid, but I for some reason can not find the email app on my lumia 920. I searched and searched but I have no idea where my email app is. Any thoughts?

It's on the start screen and in the app, but it's not called "email". It's called "gmail" or "hotmail" or whatever you named your email account.

trvsglr

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
It's on the start screen and in the app, but it's not called "email". It's called "gmail" or "hotmail" or whatever you named your email account.

I looked and looked and found nothing that even said anything with mail in the app name. I was just at best buy getting a case and I asked the lady and she took my phone and went into my settings and hit sync mail and boom then all of a sudden a tile showed up on my start screen that said mail! Thank you for your response also!

jomarr

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
Thank you for your review.

I got an iPhone 5 last week and right now I don't know if I wanna keep it. I feel really really bored with it.

I tried one of the demo units of the 920 way back and was pretty impressed. I love the screen. Absolutely gorgeous. I love how fluid the OS is. I love the typing keyboard. I am prone to mistakes all the time with the iOS keyboard but with the WP8 keyboard, I type pretty dang good!

The camera for me is great and all but I wouldn't be using it that much.

Hmm.. I don't know whether to switch or not, Basically I love the 920 but the iTunes syncing is really good for me. If I could sync the WP8 with iTunes then it's definitely a plus.

Another thing is last.fm support. I am a heavy music listener and wants to keep track of my plays and such.. I know it's dorky but hey I kinda find it cool. They say that last.fm is terrible in Windows Phone.

I hope you could help me with this since I'm itching to get rid of my iPhone 5. :D Thanks!

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Thank you for your review.

I got an iPhone 5 last week and right now I don't know if I wanna keep it. I feel really really bored with it.

I tried one of the demo units of the 920 way back and was pretty impressed. I love the screen. Absolutely gorgeous. I love how fluid the OS is. I love the typing keyboard. I am prone to mistakes all the time with the iOS keyboard but with the WP8 keyboard, I type pretty dang good!

The camera for me is great and all but I wouldn't be using it that much.

Hmm.. I don't know whether to switch or not, Basically I love the 920 but the iTunes syncing is really good for me. If I could sync the WP8 with iTunes then it's definitely a plus.

Another thing is last.fm support. I am a heavy music listener and wants to keep track of my plays and such.. I know it's dorky but hey I kinda find it cool. They say that last.fm is terrible in Windows Phone.

I hope you could help me with this since I'm itching to get rid of my iPhone 5. :D Thanks!

Are you using Windows or OS X on your home computer/laptop? You can sync the 920 with your iTunes library through software called Windows Phone on Mac OS X very easily. It automatically detects your iTunes library and syncs everything across; pretty much just like iTunes. I'm not 100% sure how you sync it over Windows, but some quick research will tell you how.

As for music; the 920 comes with an awesome piece of software called Nokia Music. You can sync music all day long for free; I wrote about that in the original post. Im not sure about last.fm (I dont use it), and I guess thats something that you are going to have to decide on.

Overall, iOS still beats WP8 for sure with Apps, thats a given. But, WP8 is advancing very quickly and there are new releases literally every day. There is a small compromise with switching, but if you are as bored as iOS as I was, it's worth it.

jomarr

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
Are you using Windows or OS X on your home computer/laptop? You can sync the 920 with your iTunes library through software called Windows Phone on Mac OS X very easily. It automatically detects your iTunes library and syncs everything across; pretty much just like iTunes. I'm not 100% sure how you sync it over Windows, but some quick research will tell you how.

As for music; the 920 comes with an awesome piece of software called Nokia Music. You can sync music all day long for free; I wrote about that in the original post. Im not sure about last.fm (I dont use it), and I guess thats something that you are going to have to decide on.

Overall, iOS still beats WP8 for sure with Apps, thats a given. But, WP8 is advancing very quickly and there are new releases literally every day. There is a small compromise with switching, but if you are as bored as iOS as I was, it's worth it.

I'm not really an Apple Fan. I just register to these forums to get the help I need at times. I had an iPod Touch last year for a year.. I think that is why I'm tired of iOS already. I have my iPhone 5 and it has bore me after just a week.

I use Windows 7. I will try and research on that. Just googled last.fm support on Windows Phone and it seems like there is no problem with that.

So does this mean that the plays of my songs in my iTunes will be synced in my Windows Phone as well? Sorry for these irrelevant questions, I'm just a little OCD with my music and tracking etc. etc.

Can I sync just a certain playlist or a certain artist or album in my phone like in the iPhone or is there a need to manually drag and drop music? (Sorry for acting like a newb)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Did the 920 get the portico update. I got so sick of waiting for it on my HTC 8X I sold it this week as the bugs were just too much for me to deal with anymore.

Anyone encountered any genuine bugs with their 920's yet and if so what are they.

I'm in the market for a new phone and im swinging between

920 / BB z10 / Xperia Z

All quite different devices I know and all have their issues holding me back.

920 (software and hardware bugs from my previous 8X, and missing some apps like Instagram)
bb z10 (love the aesthetics, love the OS, but lack of apps could be a killer and I don't have patience for waiting months to do something on my phone)
Xperia Z (beautiful and big, but those plastic caps on the headphone and charging ports look like they may get damaged in time and the black version look like a finger smudge print magnet)

So please more genuine experiences with the 920, a few opinions on the camera (is it as good as they say) and such.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
The W8 app selection reminds me a lot of the Apple and Android apps we saw a few years ago. It is getting better for sure, but I think every platform kind of has to go through that "fart app stage."
And we can rest confidently with Apple's 2000+ flashlight apps... ;)
It's a beautiful device.
I'm already bored of iPhone 5 and I'm waiting for the next Lumia to upgrade.

That is one gorgeous device! I think everyone (HTC included) has beaten apple to the punch with these new designs. Where can Apple go that others haven't already been?

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly

You basically can sync with iTunes. MS put out an app for mac that loads up all your iTunes and iPhoto stuff and allows you to sync it to your phone. Your playlists, artists, photo albums and events will all show up there in the WP8 desktop program. It works surprisingly well, I didn't think I would use it at all but I use it often. No wireless syncing is kind of a bummer though.

On a side note, Spotify showed up in the WP8 app store today. Seems like every day one of the really popular iOS apps is showing up.

Another side note, the 920 loads apps faster than any iPhone or Android I've ever used. Most of the apps I have load instantly, I barely finish tapping and they're loaded up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.