Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am a big apple fan when it comes to computer and even tablets, but recently I got the iphone 5...and at first I loved it, but then I became rather disappointed in it. Now I am not saying that the i5 isn't great, it is great for what it does, but the screen size and functionality of android really caught my eye.

Then I ran into a buddy with a note 2 and it seemed pretty amazing. I work in a biological lab, and it really seemed like such a device could really be useful.

I purchased a note II on ebay yesterday, and I am fixing to put my i5 up for sale.

For anyone here who owns the note or has made a similar switch...how do you like it? Do you regret your choice? Whats apps do you recommend, and is there anything you really miss about your iphone?

I owe a macbook pro and ipad 3rd gen. I may miss the integration, but dropbox should take care of photosync, and doubletwist can manage my itunes.

I really appreciate he advice!

-Blue

Donvald

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2013
The Note 2 can honestly function as a mini personal computer and with android, you can configure it how you like it. Its the best phone - by far - that I've ever owned.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I just moved from the Galaxy Nexus to Note II. Love it. At first the large size was overwhelming. But now I can't look at another phone this size is the best.

For sure root the phone immediately. Is very simple and easy to do. Install a good Touchwiz ROM like cleanROM, makes phone faster and more customization.

#1 reason to root, is to change the default grid pattern. Stock 4 x 4 is silly for such a large screen. 5 x 6 is very common and better.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Just keep them both for a few weeks before selling the iPhone 5. The most frustrating thing is thinking you are sold on the new phone and then decide to switch back. You usually end up losing a couple hundred.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I assume rooting and etc compatible on a mac?

I am a little worried with the size, honestly, but hopefully It would be too bad. I already ordered a flip cover case. Is the phone pocketable or do you prefer a holster? If so what is a good, affordable option?

I am excited for the phone, I worried a bit about the pixel density...but supposedly its not noticeable.

Donvald

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2013

I am a little worried with the size, honestly, but hopefully It would be too bad. I already ordered a flip cover case. Is the phone pocketable or do you prefer a holster? If so what is a good, affordable option?

I am excited for the phone, I worried a bit about the pixel density...but supposedly its not noticeable.

Pixel density isn't noticeable and to be honest, any HD screen on a mobile is good enough. Watching movies is clear and colours pop from the screen.

Its pocketable but if you go for the wrong sort of case it can bulk it out a lot. I go for the little cases that snap on the back, not the ideal choice for me as I like to have a case that unfolds so I can watch it on my desk at work.+ But the smaller cases keeps its profile slim and the phone pocketable.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Pixel density isn't noticeable and to be honest, any HD screen on a mobile is good enough. Watching movies is clear and colours pop from the screen.

Its pocketable but if you go for the wrong sort of case it can bulk it out a lot. I go for the little cases that snap on the back, not the ideal choice for me as I like to have a case that unfolds so I can watch it on my desk at work.+ But the smaller cases keeps its profile slim and the phone pocketable.

What about the flip cover case by Samsung? I ordered one of this put debating using a simple tpu case instead.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008

The rooting tools I used were for windows but you could use bootcamp or parallels/VMware fusion. In the span of two months I went from iPhone 5 to a Galaxy S3 to a Note 2. The size is shocking at first especially coming directly from an iPhone but if you stick with it you will get used to it. The phone looks normal to me now after just 3 weeks. The phone fits fine in every pair of pants the I have so no issues for me there. It depends on how deep the pockets are but if they aren't abnormally shallow you'll be fine. Don't worry about the pixel density. The screen is beautiful. Once you get used to the size you'll wonder how you ever were able to use a phone as small as the iPhone. The Note 2 is the best phone I've ever owned. I change phones about once every two months so I've owned a lot of phones. Also the battery life is amazing. You have to actually try to kill the battery to drain it in a day.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
The rooting tools I used were for windows but you could use bootcamp or parallels/VMware fusion. In the span of two months I went from iPhone 5 to a Galaxy S3 to a Note 2. The size is shocking at first especially coming directly from an iPhone but if you stick with it you will get used to it. The phone looks normal to me now after just 3 weeks. The phone fits fine in every pair of pants the I have so no issues for me there. It depends on how deep the pockets are but if they aren't abnormally shallow you'll be fine. Don't worry about the pixel density. The screen is beautiful. Once you get used to the size you'll wonder how you ever were able to use a phone as small as the iPhone. The Note 2 is the best phone I've ever owned. I change phones about once every two months so I've owned a lot of phones. Also the battery life is amazing. You have to actually try to kill the battery to drain it in a day.

http://galaxynote2root.com/galaxy-note-2-root/how-to-root-galaxy-note-2-on-mac-osx/

What about using this program for all my rooting and rom needs?

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
I am very glad that this website gives some of you a little hole in the wall to discuss your android devices. I am sure Android Central has a wealth of knowledge and well to do information about the aforementioned devices that you all love so much. :D

gnr319

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2009
I upgraded to the Note 2 back in November but had to go back to an iPhone 5 for work. If Android had better enterprise support, there'd be no question I'd be a full convert to Android.

The iPhone 5 is a great phone but I've reached a point where I don't just want a smartphone anymore, I want a mini computer and the Note 2 is exactly that. Comparisons between the two flagship devices are incommensurate in that regard. The Note 2 is capable of so much more.

That said, the main reason I wanted a Note 2 was because I didn't want to carry both a tablet and a phone. The Note 2 is a great but not perfect consolidation of those two devices, but personally, I was able to live happily with the compromises.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I would think the root method would work on all note 2s, assuming it doesn't change any radio specific setting. Root exploits usually don't....roms do though.

me too i got this very nice case from the Verizon store $32, perfect fit and good grip....plus has the kickstand :)

20121201_211557 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

20121201_211534 by Ceva321, on Flickr

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I am very glad that this website gives some of you a little hole in the wall to discuss your android devices. I am sure Android Central has a wealth of knowledge and well to do information about the aforementioned devices that you all love so much. :D

I am glad this "little hole in the wall" doesn't bother the disciples... Well, at least not too much. ;)

Michael

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I just moved from the Galaxy Nexus to Note II. Love it. At first the large size was overwhelming. But now I can't look at another phone this size is the best.

For sure root the phone immediately. Is very simple and easy to do. Install a good Touchwiz ROM like cleanROM, makes phone faster and more customization.

#1 reason to root, is to change the default grid pattern. Stock 4 x 4 is silly for such a large screen. 5 x 6 is very common and better.

Or you can just use another launcher to do that.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Just keep them both for a few weeks before selling the iPhone 5. The most frustrating thing is thinking you are sold on the new phone and then decide to switch back. You usually end up losing a couple hundred.

That's my advice too.
I bought the Note 2 at full retail and am using it along side my iPhone 5. Sometime next week I'm deciding on which one to keep. The other one is getting traded for a Droid DNA or etc.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That's my advice too.
I bought the Note 2 at full retail and am using it along side my iPhone 5. Sometime next week I'm deciding on which one to keep. The other one is getting traded for a Droid DNA or etc.

Up to this point what are you leaning towards? I'm waiting until IOS 7 and then making my decision...right now with the jailbreak I am very happy though.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Up to this point what are you leaning towards? I'm waiting until IOS 7 and then making my decision...right now with the jailbreak I am very happy though.

Typing on the Note 2 is horrible. I text and message way too much and the iPhone 5 I can bust out a text so easily. I tried using different keyboards on the Note 2 but it is too error prone.

I like the Note 2's feature set for sure. The multi-view is amazing once you do the root mod where you can add any app to the multi view feature. Battery life is pretty good too.

I am leaning iPhone 5.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Typing on the Note 2 is horrible. I text and message way too much and the iPhone 5 I can bust out a text so easily. I tried using different keyboards on the Note 2 but it is too error prone.

I like the Note 2's feature set for sure. The multi-view is amazing once you do the root mod where you can add any app to the multi view feature. Battery life is pretty good too.

I am leaning iPhone 5.

I had the same issue with typing on the s3. Everyone talks about how good it is, but I actually was looking for a keyboard exactly like the iPhone one. Maybe I have just used it so long, but I just type away and rely on autocorrect.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I had the same issue with typing on the s3. Everyone talks about how good it is, but I actually was looking for a keyboard exactly like the iPhone one. Maybe I have just used it so long, but I just type away and rely on autocorrect.

Ha, i hated typing on the iPhone. Swiftkey is sooo much better. Hec any Android keyboard ive tried is better. Swiftkey Flow is just awesome. Its got all the features of Swiftkey plus the features of Swype. Damn good keyboard. There are other good ones too. I find it hard to believe you cant find one better than the crappy iPhone keyboard.

Give Swiftkey flow a shot

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Ha, i hated typing on the iPhone. Swiftkey is sooo much better. Hec any Android keyboard ive tried is better. Swiftkey Flow is just awesome. Its got all the features of Swiftkey plus the features of Swype. Damn good keyboard. There are other good ones too. I find it hard to believe you cant find one better than the crappy iPhone keyboard.

Give Swiftkey flow a shot

I think it is all just preference. I do like swift key, but I can type so fast on the iPhone keyboard and nothing compares for me. I do have small hands so that may be why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.