Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelfields

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
I just got my bumper in and I've put two tabs in the spot above the button (in the case), one in the corner spot, and two on the button itself and I can't get the sleep button to work.

I've also tried adding tape onto it and still nothing.

I'm not really sure what the problem is.

jraneses

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
I have the same problem on mine that I ordered a couple weeks ago. Considering trying a replacement to see if it has the same issue, but it'll be difficult as it was imported.

chrscap

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Try the case with no stickers, it works fine for me and easy to press. Note that if you add too many stickers (even 1), your button will be pressed and held down while the bumper is on. Each bumper is different.

jraneses

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
Try the case with no stickers, it works fine for me and easy to press. Note that if you add too many stickers (even 1), your button will be pressed and held down while the bumper is on. Each bumper is different.

It doesn't work without stickers, or with any combination of the stickers provided. I'm sure it's an alignment issue, but repeatedly taking the bumper on and off the phone to troubleshoot it is a pain, not to mention marring the phone and loosening the fit of the bumper in the process.

chrscap

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
I would contact seller and hope for a replacement if it doesn't work at all. Power Support including stickers indicates mistakes in build. Sucks but I got lucky, didn't need sticker and actually feel a click on power button like the volume buttons.

michaelfields

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
It's a design issue. Just the way it is.

Now I get why they aren't selling them in the US. As of right now this bumper seems to be a waste to me. I'm not even using it because if I do I can't use my sleep button unless I pack in so much tape that it makes the bumper bow out when it's on.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
I just got my bumper in and I've put two tabs in the spot above the button (in the case), one in the corner spot, and two on the button itself and I can't get the sleep button to work.

I've also tried adding tape onto it and still nothing.

I'm not really sure what the problem is.

Don't put any on the sides, just keep stacking it on the sleep button until it works. Mine took FOUR spacers on the sleep button before it worked perfectly.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
What works for me is to put the stickers on the actual button, not on the inside of the case.

Take the case off. There should be a little circular protrusion on the square that sits above the power button. If that is not there, you may need to add more stickers to the button.

Cut the clear stickers in tiny rectangles (the size of the button - doesnt have to be exact, just not too big) and put them on top of the power button. It took 2 for me.

When I put them inside the case, it did not work as well.

I think the problem is that the button on the iPhone 5 has a very low profile. I did not have any problems with the same case for the 4.

michaelfields

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
What works for me is to put the stickers on the actual button, not on the inside of the case.

Take the case off. There should be a little circular protrusion on the square that sits above the power button. If that is not there, you may need to add more stickers to the button.

Cut the clear stickers in tiny rectangles (the size of the button - doesnt have to be exact, just not too big) and put them on top of the power button. It took 2 for me.

When I put them inside the case, it did not work as well.

I think the problem is that the button on the iPhone 5 has a very low profile. I did not have any problems with the same case for the 4.

That was what I tried first after seeing it on here. Two cut in half, stacked on the button. Didn't work. Nothing worked except so much tape it bowed the case.

Also, took the tape off and it pulled the tabs off with it so those are gone. I'm going to try picking up some light adhesive tabs and cutting them to size and see if it works.

Even if it does I probably won't keep this bumper.

----------

Pics? If you don't want it, I can make you an offer.

I'm gonna try what I said above and if that works I'll see how I feel about it after a day or two. I really don't think I like it though. I'd be open to an offer.

I have the Mime HDT-C on the screen now so I'm not worried about anything besides more of the side peeling/chipping (my first iP5 had marks all over the side from literally nothing). I may just go with a matte back/side skin.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I'm gonna try what I said above and if that works I'll see how I feel about it after a day or two. I really don't think I like it though. I'd be open to an offer.

I actually hope it ends up working for you. Its a nice(expensive) case and I can understand the frustration of it not working out.

michaelfields

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
I actually hope it ends up working for you. Its a nice(expensive) case and I can understand the frustration of it not working out.

I appreciate that. My main thing that's making me think I won't keep it either way though is I just don't think I like adding anything to this phone that changes the look. I got the black bumper because it looks just like the phone but I still love the way the phone looks without it more.

We'll see though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.