Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hi, I found the compass in my iPad is wrong, usually by a quarter of a turn. This is annoying because sometimes it leads me completely in the wrong direction sometimes it is correct, but then it says recalibrate, and it goes wrong. Any ideas? Thanks

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Software error probably

It's most likely a software error in whatever compass app you're using. Try a different one. If it's a native iPad app it'll probably be resolved in the next update. Mine seems to work fine though.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010

It's most likely a software error in whatever compass app you're using. Try a different one. If it's a native iPad app it'll probably be resolved in the next update. Mine seems to work fine though.

It's the native Maps app, and it's been there for ages. When I eventually jailbroke it, I installed the iPhone's Compass app and I got the same problems. Restoring it didn't help at all.

----------

Check to see if it is set for true north or magnetic north.

Both give me problems

Kaiser99

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
In all seriousness if you have a smart case it will knock off your compass by more than you would think I was supprised when I noticed it on mine dropped the cover off and watched the compass realign put it back on and watch it move off again

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
In all seriousness if you have a smart case it will knock off your compass by more than you would think I was supprised when I noticed it on mine dropped the cover off and watched the compass realign put it back on and watch it move off again

I do have a case on the iPad with magnets...

The issue remains the same with or without the case though.

Cap41

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
You really need an external bluetooth or tethered antenna. I used the compass, airnav pro, sky charts, using the native antenna (Cell model) it was always off by 5-7 degrees. With external antenna both cell and wifi Ipads are bang on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.