Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Jonathanm1222
macrumors member

How to change registration and passwords?

I gave my old MacBook to my brother. I have a new MacBook Pro. Both the old and the new are registered in my name and have the same passwords. I don't want him to have access to my info., email etc.

Can I register the old one in his name and give him a new password so that he can set up his own email address? I want to separate these two computers. I appreciate anyone's advice.
Jonathanm1222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanm1222 View Post
I gave my old MacBook to my brother. I have a new MacBook Pro. Both the old and the new are registered in my name and have the same passwords. I don't want him to have access to my info., email etc.

Can I register the old one in his name and give him a new password so that he can set up his own email address? I want to separate these two computers. I appreciate anyone's advice.
Sure... just open System Preferences and go to Users & Groups. Click the plus sign at the lower left and make a new account for your brother. Now logout of your account and login to his. Go back to that same panel in Users & Groups and select your old account then click the minus sign at the lower left to remove your account. When asked if you want to save or delete the data, click that you want to delete all data. Done.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:45 AM   #3
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
What Weaselboy says and make sure it's an account with Administrator rights.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook