Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Hey,

I would like to buy a iPhone, but the prices of the iPhone 5 are too high for me...
So I was wondering if the iPhone 4 is still good and will keep good for the next 1-2 years?

Any help would be appreaciated! :)

Sorry for my bad English,

Thomas

Last edited:

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Hey,

I would like to buy a iPhone, but the prices of the iPhone 5 are too high for me...
So I was wondering if the iPhone is still good and will keep good for the next 1-2 years?

Thomas

If possible, look for the 4S.

ScruffyS

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Vermont, Usa
That one will cost me €200 more...
Is it really that much better?

Wellllll, I'll start with performance, they tossed the old A4 chip and used the newer A5 dual core, they upped the camera in the back from a 5mp to an 8mp.. So it can now record at 1080p instead of 720p. Better graphics card and it has a bluetooth 4.0 instead of the 2.1 in the nonS.
Beyond that the S has siri, it'll be supported longer and they got rid of that little crack in the edge (I know it's designed that way.. but it bugged me)

I guess you have to ask what you need it for. If you want to shoot video, take pictures or play some midrange-hardcore gaming.. or if you're lonely and need someone to talk to. go for the 4S. If you just need a phone to limp you through and still be very functional.. go with the 4. I don't really mean limp you through in terms that it's a bad phone. It isn't. It's just a confusing time to buy anything right now.. since the 5S may or may not be coming out soon.
That's just me .02

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Wellllll, I'll start with performance, they tossed the old A4 chip and used the newer A5 dual core, they upped the camera in the back from a 5mp to an 8mp.. So it can now record at 1080p instead of 720p. Better graphics card and it has a bluetooth 4.0 instead of the 2.1 in the nonS.
Beyond that the S has siri, it'll be supported longer and they got rid of that little crack in the edge (I know it's designed that way.. but it bugged me)

I guess you have to ask what you need it for. If you want to shoot video, take pictures or play some midrange-hardcore gaming.. or if you're lonely and need someone to talk to. go for the 4S. If you just need a phone to limp you through and still be very functional.. go with the 4. I don't really mean limp you through in terms that it's a bad phone. It isn't. It's just a confusing time to buy anything right now.. since the 5S may or may not be coming out soon.
That's just me .02

Thanks for the long reaction! :)
Sounds like the S is woth it for me.

Will the prices of the 5 drop when the 5S will be released?
If so, drop to 4S prices?

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Hey,

So I was wondering if the iPhone is still good and will keep good for the next 1-2 years?

Thomas

You've left too many variables in your question. What do you want out of the phone? What do you mean by 'will keep good for the next 1-2 years'? Software wise? Functionality wise?

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
You've left too many variables in your question. What do you want out of the phone? What do you mean by 'will keep good for the next 1-2 years'? Software wise? Functionality wise?

You are right, sorry.
I want to do all standard things with it, like listening to music, browsing, some gaming, make a picture sometimes, talk to friends with whatapp and other apps etc.
I mean with "keep good for the next 1-2 years", will it get all new software updates, will new games keep running smooth.

If you need to know more, feel free to aks! ;)

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
You are right, sorry.
I want to do all standard things with it, like listening to music, browsing, some gaming, make a picture sometimes, talk to friends with whatapp and other apps etc.
I mean with "keep good for the next 1-2 years", will it get all new software updates, will new games keep running smooth.

The phone should suffice for the short term. iOS 7 is expected to run on the iPhone 4, but in a limited fashion. The iPhone 4S may be more expensive, but if you want a phone with at least another two years of software support you can't buy the low tier product.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
The 4 is slow to run some new Apps, and the camera in the 4S is way better. If that is the only one you can afford now, go ahead an get it. Another option for you might be getting a newer iPod Touch and keep a low cost phone for phone calls. If you can only afford the 4 now, get it and when the newer one comes out later this year, you can always sell it and get a newer model 4S, 5, etc.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
The phone should suffice for the short term. iOS 7 is expected to run on the iPhone 4, but in a limited fashion. The iPhone 4S may be more expensive, but if you want a phone with at least another two years of software support you can't buy the low tier product.

So if I want to keep playing new games and get software updates for the next 1-2 years the 4S can do that and the 4 not?
Or do I understand that wrong?

----------

The 4 is slow to run some new Apps, and the camera in the 4S is way better. If that is the only one you can afford now, go ahead an get it. Another option for you might be getting a newer iPod Touch and keep a low cost phone for phone calls. If you can only afford the 4 now, get it and when the newer one comes out later this year, you can always sell it and get a newer model 4S, 5, etc.

Can I use Whatsapp and sush apps everywhere I am on iPod Touch too?
If so, that would be a nice alternative...

----------

Will the price of the 5 drop a lot when the 5S will be released?

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
----------

[/COLOR]

Can I use Whatsapp and sush apps everywhere I am on iPod Touch too?
If so, that would be a nice alternative...

----------

Will the price of the 5 drop a lot when the 5S will be released?

i don't think you can use whatsapp on itouch. i tried it before it says u can only use it on a phone. there is also a note on the app page, says "whatsapp is a telephony application and as such ipod or ipad are NOT supported devices"

-------

obviously the price of 5 will drop when 5S comes out, if u wanna know by approx. how much, hv a look at the price difference between 4s n 5 at the store. (in AU, it's $120, not really that much to me. plus u can't get models with more than 16gb memory) if u wanna buy it right now, u might wanna go for 4s, reasons were pretty much listed by previous repliers. plus, reception is better on 4s. at least in my case it was.

Last edited:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
That one will cost me €200 more...
Is it really that much better?

The 4S is much better then the 4... It has a dual core processor, a much better antenna system, much better rear camera and it will be supported longer by Apple with software updates

----------

You are right, sorry.

The choice is obvious, get the 4S, MUCH better rear camera, MUCH better graphics chip then the iPhone 4 and a dual core processor which helps with multitasking alot, better cell service and reception with the 4S and longer software support by Apple for the 4S

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The 4 is for people who have stopped upgrading, meaning they already have everything they need and what they have now will cover them for the next 2 years, or beyond, if the person's needs doesn't expand.

You don't sound like that person, so I say at least a 4s.

The thing to remember is, Software Upgrade = wants more power from your hardware (which is fixed). Use that to make ur decision. why do you need software upgrade? does the new software provides you a new feature you MUST have?

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Thanks for all the reactions!
It really helps. :)

The thing to remember is, Software Upgrade = wants more power from your hardware (which is fixed). Use that to make ur decision. why do you need software upgrade? does the new software provides you a new feature you MUST have?

That's a good point...
Most updates are useless.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Are all apps still running smooth on the iPhone 4?
If so, for how long will this be do you think, are apps getting "bigger" fast?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Are all apps still running smooth on the iPhone 4?
If so, for how long will this be do you think, are apps getting "bigger" fast?

Many apps are taking advantage of the better hardware in the 4S, and now the 5. I know some people experience issues with certain games now on the iPhone 4, and I even noticed a major difference in gameplay from my 4S to my 5.

If you want software updates for the next few years, as well as games to run well, I don't think the 4 is even an option. I would definitely get the 4S, at least.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Many apps are taking advantage of the better hardware in the 4S, and now the 5. I know some people experience issues with certain games now on the iPhone 4, and I even noticed a major difference in gameplay from my 4S to my 5.

If you want software updates for the next few years, as well as games to run well, I don't think the 4 is even an option. I would definitely get the 4S, at least.

Thanks for the reaction!
after some more thinking about the iPhone, I think I don't need to get all the updates.
Most updates don't add much and are unnecessary for me.

But I like to play games on my iPhone sometimes...
So then the 4S is the only choice, hearing people get issues with apps on the 4.

More comments are still welcome! ;)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
At this point, I'd say more apps are already "optimized" for 5 and 4s. It's a shame one cannot get an old version of apps.

Get the 4s, it's about another usd$100, then ur only 1 generation behind.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
you can always buy a Google nexus, it ain't no iphone but its a great phone and also very cheap.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
This guy clearly isn't in the USA, so his phone isn't subsided, he pays full price.

The 4 is fine I think for basic apps, light gaming, and general every day use. Some of you talk like its not even useable anymore, I think its better than lots of mid range android phones. And I am an S3 user, I have a 4 as a work phone. It does its job very well.

Beyond that, get a 4S or a 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.