Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Spikeywan
macrumors 6502

How to selectively read forums?

Is there any kind of app for the Mac and/or iPad for reading forums that allows you to select which forums and threads that you are interested in?

On another site, I'm interested in all the forums and threads, so I login, click on 'New Posts' and work my way through everything.

However on this and several other sites, there are a lot of forums that I'm not interested in at all, so it would be nice to have a 'New Posts' button that only checks for new posts in the forums I'm interested in, and the icing to the cake would be if I could tell it which threads I'm not interested in and have it exclude them from the results, too.

Is there anything that allows you to do this?
MacBook Pro, Retina, 2.3 GHz i7 Haswell, 16 Gb RAM, 512 Gb Flash, Mavericks.
Spikeywan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:37 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikeywan View Post
Is there any kind of app for the Mac and/or iPad for reading forums that allows you to select which forums and threads that you are interested in?

On another site, I'm interested in all the forums and threads, so I login, click on 'New Posts' and work my way through everything.

However on this and several other sites, there are a lot of forums that I'm not interested in at all, so it would be nice to have a 'New Posts' button that only checks for new posts in the forums I'm interested in, and the icing to the cake would be if I could tell it which threads I'm not interested in and have it exclude them from the results, too.

Is there anything that allows you to do this?
You can use Forum Spy which is linked at the top of forum pages, to track new posts as they occur. While viewing Forum Spy, click Preferences at the top left of the listing to select which forums you want to view.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCap 2013-02-02 at Sat, Feb 2,12.41.08 PM .PNG
Views:	14
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	394112
As for recent posts, you can modify the following, listing forums that you want to exclude, then save it in a bookmark.

Code:
http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?do=getdaily&exclude=1,4,6,8,11
To locate forum numbers, go to the Forum listing and mouse over a forum link. The number will appear in the Safari status bar at the bottom.
Name:  ScreenCap 2013-02-02 at Sat, Feb 2,12.29.58 PM .PNG
Views: 195
Size:  30.1 KB
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:39 PM   #3
jojoba
macrumors 65816

I think you can also achieve something like that with Tapatalk.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:00 AM   #4
Spikeywan
macrumors 6502

Thanks guys.
MacBook Pro, Retina, 2.3 GHz i7 Haswell, 16 Gb RAM, 512 Gb Flash, Mavericks.
Spikeywan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback