Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dakmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
I have a 2007 mac mini 10.4.11 with a AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x86) internal card. I have turned my mac mini into an airport base station and have connected various PCs, WII, cell phone to my mac mini wireless network (internet sharing). My H&R tax program 2012 won't launch due to my OS being so old. I'm looking to replace my old mac mini with a new one. Does the new 2012 OS 10.8 mac mini have the same capability as my old one regarding turning it into an airport base station?

dakmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
thanks

It's still the same in 10.8

thanks. At least I'm not crazy. the lady that is supposed to be an apple tech rep at Best Buys swore I'm not doing what I'm doing regarding airport and my old mac and certainly not the new mac. probably wanted to sell me an airport base station.

My old mac is connected to my samsung tv/monitor via PC in in which I think is a serial cable. I see the back of the new mac only has HDMI which may be a problem because I don't see HDMI on my old flat panel TV/Monitor.

That $55 tax software is snowballing into an expensive proposition. Maybe a new mac laptop.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Your old monitor is most likely VGA - you can get an adapter: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/B/mini-displayport-to-vga-adapter?fnode=51

Regarding wifi, will your ISP not give you a wireless router? Most of them do in the uk. It's worth asking at least, it'll mean you won't need your mac on when you're doing something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.