Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Apple differentiates themselves by focusing on user experience and making their device simple to use, rather than by packing in the latest features and hardware.

Apple automatically has an advantage as far as being different is concerned, given that the iPhone doesn't run Android like THOUSANDS of other phones :p

Didn't Samsung show off Android Beam in an ad? (Something that lots of other smartphones have?) If they showed off S-Beam most people wouldn't know the difference :p

And showing off a feature like direct call is silly when there's a call button in the message window anyway. That did make me laugh a little bit. Talk about technology overkill.

Yup. Not all Samsung ads are good. Again, just speaking more about what sort of statements their respective ads say.

You'd be foolish to think Apple wouldn't advertise new features... if they had them. Look at their MacBook Retina campaign -- huge focus on the new retina screens.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Which means that if we still have to point back to the "old technology" to perform normally expected tasks that people do every day, the new technology isn't ready to replace it.

Who said anything about wireless charging replacing a USB port? :confused:

It's supplemental, just like LTE is supplemental on the iPhone. If you really don't want to use it, turn it off and stick to 3G. But it's there and certainly should be advertised.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Which means that if we still have to point back to the "old technology" to perform normally expected tasks that people do every day, the new technology isn't ready to replace it.

You mean like the plethora of different converter cables that Apple offers for connectivity and even for charging? You mean like the SuperDrive that Apple offers?

So introducing Thunderbolt connectivity, exorcising the optical drive and ethernet port for thinness/lightness, introducing MagSafe 2, etc. -- all these were mistakes that aren't ready to be replaced?

Fascinating! Yet, I don't see you complaining about Apple doing all that...

And this isn't about "Apple". :rolleyes:

It isn't about Apple, despite how much you try to make it.

Here. I'll even help illustrate my point:

iBp7fEI.png

qKgE6IQ.png

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Yup. Not all Samsung ads are good. Again, just speaking more about what sort of statements their respective ads say.

You'd be foolish to think Apple wouldn't advertise new features... if they had them. Look at their MacBook Retina campaign -- huge focus on the new retina screens.

Is Retina "new" at this point? I don't think so. Everyone is coming out with their high resolution offering these days.

A much higher resolution screen is a useful thing to advertise though and changes the experience people will have with the device.

Apple has advertised new features in the past, like Siri. I know Apple didn't invent Siri, but it was the first company to include an intelligent natural speech assistant in their device as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong).

iOS 6 wasn't a very big upgrade, which is probably why they didn't try to advertise any brand new OS features. It was more of a hardware upgrade this time around.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011

Retina Screen isn't a good argument it this. A retina screen is more beneficial than wireless charging.

A better example is noise cancellation or GLONASS as a campaign.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Retina Screen isn't a good argument it this. A retina screen is more beneficial than wireless charging.

You entirely missed the point of my post. The point was that if Apple had new features in the iPhone that made them stood apart from the competition, they would advertise it. Just like they do their retina displays in their MBP Retina campaigns.

The fact that their iPhone campaign shows nothing new compared to the competition says something.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You entirely missed the point of my post. The point was that if Apple had new features in the iPhone that made them stood apart from the competition, they would advertise it. Just like they do their retina displays in their MBP Retina campaigns.

The fact that their iPhone campaign shows nothing new compared to the competition says something.

It shows that they want to improve the iPhone rather than cram in hundreds of new features for the sake of being new, without thinking about how practical they are.

As I said in another thread, Samsung added a "double tap to top" gesture that only works in about three Samsung apps. They didn't care about whether or not that would benefit the user, they just wanted it on their spec sheet. What a half assed implementation that was.

I love the S3 and had use for a lot of the features, but some of the features they added did feel like they were added for the sake of it.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
To all you people who are saying "Oh, but it only takes 2 seconds to stick the charger in", it's called convenience. It's easier to put the phone on a mat than it is to plug in a charger, and when you're going to have to do either at least once every single day... Which one are you going to choose?

For me, my charger is right where the charging pad would be so calling that easier i just a laugher,.... for me anyways. When i think of what you posted, i just keep thinking how lazy one must be to call that "easier".

Really with the responses i see here about convienience, im surprised Bidets arent more popular so one doesnt even have to wipe their own ass anymore.

So ill just say again that for me, it is the price of the charging mat that would determine if id get one. $10, sure, $40-50...no way. Im just not that lazy that i need to spend $40 to save me 2 seconds one time per day and i have several micro USB chargers already.
Its a nice concept but it just isnt something that is a selling point for me.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It shows that they want to improve the iPhone rather than cram in hundreds of new features for the sake of being new, without thinking about how practical they are.

As I said in another thread, Samsung added a "double tap to top" gesture that only works in about three Samsung apps. They didn't care about whether or not that would benefit the user, they just wanted it on their spec sheet. What a half assed implementation that was.

I love the S3 and had use for a lot of the features, but some of the features they added did feel like they were added for the sake of it.

The conversation is taking a new direction; whether Samsung's new features are good or not. I don't own a S3, so I won't get too deep into it. No doubt some are better than others. The effort is there though, and some are novel ideas that, I think, are cool (multi-window, Smart Stay).

Not everything new Apple does is perfect nor a hit right away either (Passbook, Siri when it first came out, etc.).

You see all this as Apple simply focusing on informing people of basic functions, or improving the iPhone. Another way to see it is Apple not having anything new to show (which they would undoubtedly show if they did) and them catching up to the competition by their latest improvements. No problem if you don't see it that way.

I think that's a fair place to take my exit. Good convo, truly.

----------

For me, my charger is right where the charging pad would be so calling that easier i just a laugher,.... for me anyways. When i think of what you posted, i just keep thinking how lazy one must be to call that "easier".

Really with the responses i see here about convienience, im surprised Bidets arent more popular so one doesnt even have to wipe their own ass anymore.

So ill just say again that for me, it is the price of the charging mat that would determine if id get one. $10, sure, $40-50...no way. Im just not that lazy that i need to spend $40 to save me 2 seconds one time per day and i have several micro USB chargers already.

The Nexus Charging Orb is expected to sell for $59.99, which is insanely overpriced. If that turns out to be the case, I will not be purchasing until deals/price drops happen. There is certainly no rush for this convenience.

Heck, I might not even own the Nexus 4 for long either. My need for stock Android grows dimmer day by day, while the tradeoffs weigh heavier and heavier.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
The conversation is taking a new direction; whether Samsung's new features are good or not. I don't own a S3, so I won't get too deep into it. No doubt some are better than others. The effort is there though, and some are novel ideas that, I think, are cool (multi-window, Smart Stay).

Not everything new Apple does is perfect nor a hit right away either (Passbook, Siri when it first came out, etc.).

You see all this as Apple simply focusing on informing people of basic functions, or improving the iPhone. Another way to see it is Apple not having anything new to show (which they would undoubtedly show if they did) and them catching up to the competition by their latest improvements. No problem if you don't see it that way.

What they're showing is new though - new to the iPhone.

Apple has never been one to cater to pressure from customers or other companies. If they did, we would've had Flash a long time ago. They do what they want to do, at their own speed and in their own way. Not sure why anyone would want it any other way. Android manufacturers add features at the speed of light. There's no point in Apple doing the same thing.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

----------

The Nexus Charging Orb is expected to sell for $59.99, which is insanely overpriced. If that turns out to be the case, I will not be purchasing until deals/price drops happen. There is certainly no rush for this convenience.

Heck, I might not even own the Nexus 4 for long either. My need for stock Android grows dimmer day by day, while the tradeoffs weigh heavier and heavier.

Yeah that is too much just to have that and by the time they come out, the GS4 might be revealed. They are are slow to get it out.
Also about two or so years ago, didnt Apple or another company come out with a Charging mat for iPods and iPhones? I believe those were $99.
Must not have been a hot seller because i never seen a mention of them.

Last edited:

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
What they're showing is new though - new to the iPhone.

Apple has never been one to cater to pressure from customers or other companies. If they did, we would've had Flash a long time ago. They do what they want to do, at their own speed and in their own way. Not sure why anyone would want it any other way. Android manufacturers add features at the speed of light. There's no point in Apple doing the same thing.

True, when Jobs was running the show. Most def not true now.

Proof of this: 7" iPad Mini, Maps fiasco, speeding up product launches, dropping new products (ipad 3?) and now it appears Apple will be building a cheap, plastic iPhone.
If everything was hunky dory in Apples garden, do you honestly believe we'd be seeing this?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Proof of this: 7" iPad Mini, Maps fiasco, speeding up product launches, dropping new products (ipad 3?) and now it appears Apple will be building a cheap, plastic iPhone.
If everything was hunky dory in Apples garden, do you honestly believe we'd be seeing this?

They built two plastic phones before and if they are going to implement NFC, they need to go back to plastic or some type of ceramic or back to a glass back with plastic underneath.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

I think that they only sped up the iPad 4 launch because of lightning. Seems like they wanted all of their products to get onto the new connector.

Cheap, plastic iPhone are rumours.

Maps fiasco... if they were bowing to any kind of pressure we'd have Google Maps back as default by now.

7" iPad Mini - you may have a point with that.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
They built two plastic phones before and if they are going to implement NFC, they need to go back to plastic or some type of ceramic or back to a glass back with plastic underneath.

The current design can implement NFC without issue. Between the Apple logo, top and bottom glass parts, it isn't an issue. Apple won't go plastic for NFC. Apple will go plastic because they can't compete with Samsung in marketshare. This is Apple caving in and entering the race "to the bottom" as many on this board put it.

----------

I think that they only sped up the iPad 4 launch because of lightning. Seems like they wanted all of their products to get onto the new connector.

Cheap, plastic iPhone are rumours.

Maps fiasco... if they were bowing to any kind of pressure we'd have Google Maps back as default by now.

7" iPad Mini - you may have a point with that.

Maps was a 2 part affair. Apple pulled all Google maps, so users could only go only. Apple forces consumer to use Apple maps. Consumers tell Apple their product sucks. Tim Cook apologizes and allow Google apps back into the app store. Google apps again take up majority of top 10 spots in the app store.

Not sure, but this looks like Apple bowing down to consumer pressure? Well, the general public sees it this way, anyway.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It's folly to think Apple doesn't pay attention to consumers and journalists. To some degree, they do. They would love it to be a secret that they do. The Apple vs. Samsung trials revealed they pay quite close attention to competition, consumers, journalists.

I don't see how any company could become successful by not.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

How so? I'm using a macbook air right now, and I see no benefit to spending an additional $600 for a retina display. Will it make me a faster typist? Can I write code faster? Not at all, it's a cosmetic difference that enhances qualitative usability, not quantitative usability. Just like wireless charging.

If Apple can advertise the retina display, why not Nokia advertise wireless charging?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Then what is the mat replacing?

You leave the mat in your main charging spot, like in your room. If you need to charge it at work or somewhere else you can use the microusb cable (the mat comes with its own microusb so you can use the included one with the phone elsewhere). I don't understand why you are having such a hard time understanding this.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
How so? I'm using a macbook air right now, and I see no benefit to spending an additional $600 for a retina display. Will it make me a faster typist? Can I write code faster? Not at all, it's a cosmetic difference that enhances qualitative usability, not quantitative usability. Just like wireless charging.

If Apple can advertise the retina display, why not Nokia advertise wireless charging?

Because with a retina display you can see better detail and see work clearer, thus aiding graphic designers, videographers, desktop publishers, engineers w/ 3D models, etc. Of course you don't need retina to do all that, but it actually does help ensure better quality and accuracy.

Wireless charging aids what, people who are so lazy they need half a second?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Maps was a 2 part affair. Apple pulled all Google maps, so users could only go only. Apple forces consumer to use Apple maps. Consumers tell Apple their product sucks. Tim Cook apologizes and allow Google apps back into the app store. Google apps again take up majority of top 10 spots in the app store.

Not sure, but this looks like Apple bowing down to consumer pressure? Well, the general public sees it this way, anyway.

What makes you think they ever didn't allow Google Maps back anyway? Maybe it just wasn't ready?

They've never had a problem with allowing Google's apps before; Gmail, YouTube, Google Search, etc.

The apology was due to massive criticism, they didn't really have a choice on that :p

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Because with a retina display you can see better detail and see work clearer, thus aiding graphic designers, videographers, desktop publishers, engineers w/ 3D models, etc. Of course you don't need retina to do all that, but it actually does help ensure better quality and accuracy.

I think this is a case of "because the iPhone doesn't have it then it must be.....". Real designers and engineers don't do work on an iPhone.

Wireless charging is very useful whether you can see it or not. I myself would use it in the car so that I can just drop my phone into a holder that would automatically start charging it in case I want to call up Google maps by voice. Using charging cables is a hassle whatever device it is. With wireless charging, it is an elegant immediate one handed drop into the holder whereas charging cables take two hands and take some significant seconds to both attach and detach. Charging cables also get tangled easily in a car. The user experience of the wireless charging Andriod phones are much better than an iPhone because of this simplicity.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

What? You're telling me that work I've done isn't the best it could be, because my display wasn't hi-DPI? Does your comparison extend to iMac's, too? Because by your argument graphic designers, videographers, desktop publishers, and CAD engineers should avoid desktop computers because they won't be able to "see better detail and see work clearer".

Do you even read what you type?

Wireless charging, as I've said before, aids convenience. Seeing as everything is about convenience - or do you still enjoy using punch cards to program your computer - what's wrong with advertising it?

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008

Wireless charging can be pretty handy if you have any place you normally keep your phone where it is not always necessarily plugged in.. A place like this for me is at work where I spend much of the day at my desk but also take my phone if I get up for some reason. i don't always plug in my phone every time I sit down because I might have to get up a minute later.

Essentially, wireless charging will keep my phone better charged and with more convenience at my work than charging alone with just a cord. My phone would also have a greater charge so I'd be much less likely to need to use it while plugged into a cord later on too.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The current design can implement NFC without issue. Between the Apple logo, top and bottom glass parts, it isn't an issue. Apple won't go plastic for NFC. Apple will go plastic because they can't compete with Samsung in marketshare. This is Apple caving in and entering the race "to the bottom" as many on this board put it.

According to who? If you read up on NFC it says that it cant be around any metal for it to work because the signal is not real strong and why you have to be real close if not be touching phones together and the metal will interfere if there is any near by so i doubt the current design will work.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I think this is a case of "because the iPhone doesn't have it then it must be.....". Real designers and engineers don't do work on an iPhone.

Wireless charging is very useful whether you can see it or not. I myself would use it in the car so that I can just drop my phone into a holder that would automatically start charging it in case I want to call up Google maps by voice. Using charging cables is a hassle whatever device it is. With wireless charging, it is an elegant immediate one handed drop into the holder whereas charging cables take two hands and take some significant seconds to both attach and detach. Charging cables also get tangled easily in a car. The user experience of the wireless charging Andriod phones are much better than an iPhone because of this simplicity.

He was comparing Wireless charging to desktop retina displays, not the one on the iPhone.

It's not a hassle at all, what are you talking about? The amount of time it takes for me to plug my iPhone in, my laptop in, whatever it is, takes the same amount of time as setting it down and picking it back up, or drop my phone into a dock and taking it out. A dock would provide multimedia features that any wireless charging mat has yet to do, while a cord is better for data transfer if I needed to do that.

What? You're telling me that work I've done isn't the best it could be, because my display wasn't hi-DPI? Does your comparison extend to iMac's, too? Because by your argument graphic designers, videographers, desktop publishers, and CAD engineers should avoid desktop computers because they won't be able to "see better detail and see work clearer".

Do you even read what you type?

Wireless charging, as I've said before, aids convenience. Seeing as everything is about convenience - or do you still enjoy using punch cards to program your computer - what's wrong with advertising it?

I read what I type, but obviously you aren't.

1) I'm not saying the work couldn't be done as best as you can, but having done all 3 of the examples I've listed and being intermediately experienced with each, having a retina display is actually very helpful and handy.

2) Advertising wireless charging, as I said before in so many posts you keep ignoring, should be toned down. Businesses and companies are pushing wireless charging as a holy god feature, and it's not. Its a gimmick. Is it cool? Sure for like the first 30 minutes, but then it's just another feature. Advertise it as you wish, but it's the same as trying to highlight as a feature as highlighting noise cancellation or a panoramic mode or the endless silly features Samsung came up with (that aren't even new, they just pretend they are) as a god holy feature.

If I buy a phone and it has wireless charging, cool, maybe i'll even use it, but it should NOT be considered a key selling point, and people shouldn't buy phones just because it has wireless charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.