Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I'm setting up my parents with my prior MacBook Pro. They will share the MBP as the only family computer.

We've set up 2 user accounts - one for mom and dad. So each has their own settings, mail, contacts, etc, etc.

But what should I do about iTunes? They both have iPads. And up until now they have both been syncing their iPads to a single Windows PC.

Should I move their itunes library to only ONE of their accounts and have them continue to sync both iPads to that one itunes library? Or should they both sync to individual iTunes library under their own account.

Advice appreciated!

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Just locate the iTunes library on the HD outside of the user folder, then use Preferences to tell each user's iTunes where the Library is located.

Location is under the Advanced tab in Preferences.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Just locate the iTunes library on the HD outside of the user folder, then use Preferences to tell each user's iTunes where the Library is located.

Location is under the Advanced tab in Preferences.

Ooh - great idea. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks - I'll give it a shot.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
i have a simialr question (well kind of). My son has a 5Th gen iPod. I had hped to set him up on our old G4MDD and just let him go, but the 5th Gen iPod will only sync with an intel mac.

So todate he has synced with my iTunes and i have shared my music with him. He however wants some of his own CD's on his iPod and i would rather not have them in my iTunes collection. So i am not sure how to approach this, i could set him up with his own user ID on our Intel mac and just let him start his own collection of music, but he also likes some of the stuff that i have....

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
i have a simialr question (well kind of). My son has a 5Th gen iPod. I had hped to set him up on our old G4MDD and just let him go, but the 5th Gen iPod will only sync with an intel mac.

So todate he has synced with my iTunes and i have shared my music with him. He however wants some of his own CD's on his iPod and i would rather not have them in my iTunes collection. So i am not sure how to approach this, i could set him up with his own user ID on our Intel mac and just let him start his own collection of music, but he also likes some of the stuff that i have....

I share my iTunes library with my wife and two kids and I wish I had set the kids up with their own library. You can transfer music in your library to his, when its created, by burning it to a DVD and re-importing into his. This could also be achieved with a USB thumb drive and just click and drag the files to his library. There is also the software Senuti, which will allow music to be imported from iPods to iTunes. I think a trial version is free.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I share my iTunes library with my wife and two kids and I wish I had set the kids up with their own library. You can transfer music in your library to his, when its created, by burning it to a DVD and re-importing into his. This could also be achieved with a USB thumb drive and just click and drag the files to his library. There is also the software Senuti, which will allow music to be imported from iPods to iTunes. I think a trial version is free.

Thanks, that is the route im going to go, i will check out Senuti.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
So I finally got around to doing this and noticed a problem (I think). I put the single iTunes library (from old computer) into the Shared folder on the MBP. Then I pointed both user accounts iTunes to that same library.

It was my understanding that if one account adds an app or album to the library - the other account would be able to see it. But that didn't happen. I downloaded an app while User 1 was logged in. Then logged out and opened User 2's iTunes and it didn't show for them.

Both have the same Apple ITunes ID and both have "auto download new purchases" turned on.

Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.