Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Can't say I disagree with the complaints about how MS marketed their free space, but 48gb out of 64gb isn't the end of the world for me, it's virtually the same as my wife's 64gb Macbook air, well I'm getting the 128gb version so that's much better. If anything I'll enjoy the freedom the microSD card, USB 3.0 port, display port, etc give me.

Yeah it's another MS marketing fail but remove the recovery, uninstall the 2 gig Office trial, and tweak the page file and you're back down to 20 gb used. Most of my 64 GB iPad is filled by photos and movies - stuff I can offload to the SD card on a Pro.

Not that MS isn't faultless here - they too have for years overcharged for just about everything - and now they too are caught in a market where you can get competing product that works like MS products for free or significantly less than what MS charges.

I think MS needs to fully change their entire business model if they want to survive long term. It might sound drastic, but the same thing is happening in other industries where the once mighty leaders have ended up withering away because they didn't change.

I wouldn't say they overcharged - just different ways of monetization. But the fact they're creating their own computer hw shows they are tweaking their business model. Before this they were content to let OEM's put out cheap junk as long as they paid the licensing fee.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah it's another MS marketing fail but remove the recovery, uninstall the 2 gig Office trial, and tweak the page file and you're back down to 20 gb used. Most of my 64 GB iPad is filled by photos and movies - stuff I can offload to the SD card on a Pro.

I wouldn't say they overcharged - just different ways of monetization. But the fact they're creating their own computer hw shows they are tweaking their business model. Before this they were content to let OEM's put out cheap junk as long as they paid the licensing fee.

Yep, just a bit of work by the consumer and they are back at the 48ish gb every other 64gb laptop and desktop is at. A similar but smaller uproar happened with the Clovertrail windows tablets, but it was the same non issue. I even had a 32GB full windows 8 Pro tablet for a bit, with hard drive management and the microSD slot it wasn't an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.