Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RetroGamerVX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Hi all, I wondered if you could help me, having a little trouble here :eek:(

I've picked up an emac from a house clearance place at a market today for £5 because the seller thought it was an 'old tv' (I didn't tell him any different)

Anyway, when booted, it had no os on it, but has a mac osx install disc in it's drive. (10.5.4, aht versiopn 3a152). On booting (nice screen after initial problems), it said that the software could not be installed on the machine. I've since erased the drive and formatted it, but it still won't take it. I've done a video of it but here is a picture of the error log: (in my facebook group) http://www.facebook.com/groups/330119565983/10151499859590984/?notif_t=group_comment

photo.php

And here is the video of me trying the system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KD5Hwtmq_k, please leave any comments/advice you wish :eek:)

Best regards,

Steve:(

Last edited:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I don't see a video. Also, could you upload the picture to Macrumors instead of Facebook? I don't have an account so I can't see it. What is the processor speed?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi all, I wondered if you could help me, having a little trouble here :eek:(

I've picked up an emac from a house clearance place at a market today for £5 because the seller thought it was an 'old tv' (I didn't tell him any different)

Anyway, when booted, it had no os on it, but has a mac osx install disc in it's drive. (10.5.4, aht versiopn 3a152). On booting (nice screen after initial problems), it said that the software could not be installed on the machine. I've since erased the drive and formatted it, but it still won't take it. I've done a video of it but here is a picture of the error log: (in my facebook group) http://www.facebook.com/groups/330119565983/10151499859590984/?notif_t=group_comment

And here is the video of me trying the system, please leave any comments/advice you wish :eek:)

Best regards,

Steve:(
Do you have a screenshot of the log where it shows Progress and Errors? All this shows is the errors, but the progress log will show us WHERE the errors occured. Right now, based on this, all we know is that Folder Manager has refused to make a folder with UID0.

RetroGamerVX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
I don't see a video. Also, could you upload the picture to Macrumors instead of Facebook? I don't have an account so I can't see it. What is the processor speed?

My appologies, for the picture, I can't seem to upload it, which is why I've linked to the group :eek:( I've put the link in to the video though now :eek:)

Best regards

Steve

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
you saying its an old emac with a 10.5 install disk suggests the reason for failure could be its processor speed.

Perhaps you could post the model number (off the back) and maybe then some light could be shed.

Its possible if its processor is not clocked high enough that it needs a Tiger install disk (10.4) instead. (had this with an old MDD G4 once).

RetroGamerVX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
you saying its an old emac with a 10.5 install disk suggests the reason for failure could be its processor speed.

Perhaps you could post the model number (off the back) and maybe then some light could be shed.

Its possible if its processor is not clocked high enough that it needs a Tiger install disk (10.4) instead. (had this with an old MDD G4 once).

System profiler is reporting it as a 1.25ghz with 1gb memory :eek:)

Steve

----------

Do you have a screenshot of the log where it shows Progress and Errors? All this shows is the errors, but the progress log will show us WHERE the errors occured. Right now, based on this, all we know is that Folder Manager has refused to make a folder with UID0.

I've just managed to work out how to do that, hang on, I'll get it you :eek:)

Steve

RetroGamerVX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
System profiler is reporting it as a 1.25ghz with 1gb memory :eek:)

Steve

----------

I've just managed to work out how to do that, hang on, I'll get it you :eek:)

Steve

Ok, here is the full log, I've put it on Flickr so you can all see it if you wish :eek:) http://www.flickr.com/photos/68699634@N06/8439347296/in/photostream/lightbox/

----------

This is the full progress/error log, now put onto Flickr so everybody can see it if they wish :eek:) http://www.flickr.com/photos/68699634@N06/8439347296/in/photostream/lightbox/
Best regards

steve

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
could it simply be that the OS X disk is a specific machine one (as in it came with a different mac) and therefore it will not install on any other mac system?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
could it simply be that the OS X disk is a specific machine one (as in it came with a different mac) and therefore it will not install on any other mac system?
That would be my guess at this point. The FB link he has in the first post shows a picture of the install disk. It's not a retail Leopard disk, but it also does not identify which machine it's to be used on.

Could be that whomever had this Mac last maybe borrowed the disk from someone else thinking they could install it on this Mac, but not realizing that those discs are machine specific. Maybe, just a guess.

If this disk is for this Mac, then it could be that the drive is bad.

OP, I know you said you reformatted the drive (somewhere you mentioned that I think). What happens if you run Disk Utility (you can access it via the installer) and do a Repair Disk? Does it pop up any errors? Are you sure this drive is good?

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA

I'll second what he said.

Is the install disk a grey colored disk with no pictures, or is it a disk with a picture of a Leopard? If it is a grey colored disk, it is a disk specific to a particular (other mac) and won't work on that mac.

I had one of those puppies a while back. If your capacitors are ok, there are nice machines. Your eMac needs OS X 10.3 at a min, but will run 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard...but you will need the retail installation DVDs to install it.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is the install disk a grey colored disk with no pictures, or is it a disk with a picture of a Leopard? If it is a grey colored disk, it is a disk specific to a particular (other mac) and won't work on that mac.

No eMac was sold with 10.5.x Leopard. The OP definitely needs a retail disc to install Leopard.

Good references about operating systems included with Macs:
PowerPC Macs: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2191
Intel Macs: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159

Edit: just noticed the post above mine. Oops.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
No PowerPC Macs came with Leopard, so if it is a grey disk, it will not work.

And not to be pedantic, the retail disks have the pictures of the Leopard on them (for 10.5) or the black and something big X on it for 10.4 Tiger...definitely are *not* grey disks.

I actually still have the original 10.3 Panther disks that came with my eMac, and I picked up a set of install CD's (CD's! about 9 of them...) for 10.4 for the eMac that I still have.

Now that I am in this "reply box" I can't see where you are from, but I remember from yesterday (I think) that you were in a foreign country. Shipping them might be prohibitively expensive...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.