Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:51 AM   #26
supak111
macrumors newbie

Yea I dont get it either, shouldn't matter to them what device we use to use up our 3gb of data iphone/ipad same ****
supak111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:46 AM   #27
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a

They care because if everyone was using data only simcards for their iphones they wouldn't make any money on their call minutes. Which are their cash cows.
surjavarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:19 AM   #28
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loodydo View Post
I can confirm that this works well on Verizon. Don't even have to mess with apn settings. I chopped an ipad sim down to size, poped it in my iphone5, and it has worked like a charm for 2 months now. Hard to do better than 10$ a month iphone5 data only plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supak111 View Post
As I've said before it works on ATT iPhone 5 just change APN settings. Its just that LTE only works a day or 2, after a few days they kick you down to 4G.
So it seems like the best route to get a data-only iPhone looks like this:
iPhone 5 -> Verizon iPad Mini NanoSIM in a Verizon iPhone 5
iPhone 4/4S -> AT&T iPad MicroSIM in an AT&T iPhone
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:09 AM   #29
KoukiFC3S
macrumors 6502a

Should work just fine with a Verizon iPad mini sim.
KoukiFC3S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:44 PM   #30
617aircav
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHirsch999 View Post
How about getting an iPod touch and a mifi instead of an iPhone?
And how is that equivalent to what the op is trying to do? He wants an iPhone 5 and not an iPod touch. They are different.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
They care because if everyone was using data only simcards for their iphones they wouldn't make any money on their call minutes. Which are their cash cows.
Wrong. The cash cow is now data. That's why data prices have gone up with these new plans from att and Verizon.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:29 PM   #31
Firestrife
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Firestrife
They have hearing impaired data only plans, but I wouldn't know about how to get one.
Firestrife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:57 PM   #32
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

This would be an awesome setup for the tech savvy member of a family that has one of those Share Everything plans. The SIM would be added to the plan for $10/month as an iPad and you could use Talkatone or Skype.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:12 AM   #33
Turnpike
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loodydo View Post
I can confirm that this works well on Verizon. Don't even have to mess with apn settings. I chopped an ipad sim down to size, poped it in my iphone5, and it has worked like a charm for 2 months now. Hard to do better than 10$ a month iphone5 data only plan.
Does this data come at a 4G LTE speed?
Turnpike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:33 PM   #34
ronkuba
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike View Post
Does this data come at a 4G LTE speed?
Yes, LTE works!
ronkuba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:50 PM   #35
VolceOntra
macrumors regular

So do we need to activate the Sim on an iPad first prior to using it with the iPhone (ATT)?
VolceOntra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:53 PM   #36
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
iPad Mini?
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:44 PM   #37
ronkuba
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolceOntra View Post
So do we need to activate the Sim on an iPad first prior to using it with the iPhone (ATT)?
Yes, on verizon I activated the ipad first. Should be the same with att but I heard att shuts off LTE
ronkuba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 01:54 PM   #38
NewAnger
Banned

I don't have an iPad but I do have a Nexus 7 activated on both AT&T and T-Mobile.

To get the AT&T sim card to work on my iPhone 4S, i went to unlockit.co.nz on my phone and installed the AT&T APN for broadband. Try that out and see what happens.
NewAnger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 07:56 PM   #39
supak111
macrumors newbie

You don't need an iPad to sign up. For AT.T you can Sign Up for an iPad plan and activate the SIM at:

---https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/---

You then put that sim in your iphone and download the APN setting.

PS you need to have an IMEI number from any LTE iPad when signing up!! You are tricking at.t into thinking you are using an LTE iPad but you really aren't. Wont let you sign up if you try to use your iPhones IMEI of course. Easy way to get an LTE iPad IMEI is from a display model iPad at apple store.

DO NOT use the IMEI from an older non LTE iPad, if you do at.t will sign you up for a 4g, non LTE plan.

Last edited by supak111; Mar 7, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:06 PM   #40
willpower101
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rritterson
Yes, the sim will work if cut and sanded. No, AT&T will not like it and your service will eventually be cut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I understand AT&T's stand regarding unlimited but why would they care if you have a 3gb data plan for the iPad and use it instead on an iPhone?
They don't care.

ritterson and other fanboys are just making **** up to scare people. You get used to seeing that sort of mentality around grey areas which use exploits that aren't technically illegal, or even against TOS.

After you note that plenty of people, including myself, have been doing this since back BEFORE the unlimited data plan disappeared, you'll realized that it's totally legit.

Most of the time, at&t employees give me the reaction, "Damn, which I could do that.", "Neat!", or some similar prose. The rest just blank stare and say, "uhm, ok."
Old Jul 16, 2013, 01:59 PM   #41
supak111
macrumors newbie

PS. I just switch to an android phone and using a ipad sim in android gives you LTE all the time, even after you restart the phone. Phone connects to LTE right away, and not to 4g like iPhone 5 does after you restart the iPhone.

I get slightly slower LTE speeds with my HTC One then I did on my iPhone 5 but I'm not sure if that's because I used that hacked iPhone carrier update. Hacked carrier update might have bumped the speeds up. At my house I would get 35mbps download on iPhone 5 hacked carrier update, HTC One usually tops out at 25mbps in the same location in my house around the same time of the day.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone