Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sergiobaschi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm looking for a clean and easy managed network storage solution, as I'm dissatisfied with my current network situation...

Today I have a D-Link router (645, I think), that really sucks. It drops in speed and connections, and the range is below what's acceptable.

My htpc (a Windows 7-machine) has a 4 TB external HDD connected to it, where all my media (i.e. movies and music) is. Unfortunately the htpc's connection to the router is absolutely worthless, so making a connection between the 4 TB disk and other devices (such as our laptops or iMac) is impossible.

As I see it, I have two options.
1: Buy the LaCie CloudBox 3 TB disk
2: Buy an Airport Extreme/Express and connect my 4 TB HDD to it

The only thing that is in favor of option #1 is the extra functionality that comes along, such as the mobile application etc.

I've got a 100/10 Mbit/s through the wall. The devices that are connected to the network are two desktops/htpc, four laptops and four iPhones. And most likely I'll buy an iPad within the next three months...

Unfortunately I can't connect neither the htpc nor the iMac via cable.

I have no experience what so ever of either the Extreme or Express and would gladly receive your comments.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
If you have the option of not adding a disk to your AirPort Extreme, then don't. The latest firmware versions have some erratic behavior that causes them to keep spinning up/down the disks every few minutes. Go with something dedicated, IMO.

Disclaimer: I use an AEBS+USB HD. I'm still on firmware 7.5.2 because its the only one that won't make it spin up/down compulsively. Asides from that, it works well.

Schorsch0815

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
1: Buy the LaCie CloudBox 3 TB disk

Dont! I have one. Makes hell of noise (I think its just never going into eco mode) and connection from the Mac to the NAS is random at best.

LaCieTech

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Schorsch0815, please call us about the noise your disk is making. If its audible over the phone it may not be normal and we should talk about replacing it. If it is a normal sound, its likely the fan. Try clearing space around the disk and lowering the ambient temperature around it if possible. The fans are designed to kick on at a minimum temperature so if its always on it may be too warm for the drive (like inside a cabinet, next to a heater, etc).

sergiobaschi, the Cloudbox is not our only NAS solution and its not the only one that supports the mobile MyNAS app. I would recommend you also call us to talk with our techs, give them your setup details and what you can and cannot work with and we'll suggest the best fitting NAS we make. There is no obligation to talk to us and we don't require that you already own a product in order to discuss them with us. Just tell the technician you get through to that you're calling about a pre-sales issue and want to discuss the various options.

Our number is 503.844.4500 (USA) or http://www.lacie.com/mystuff

~mn, LaCie

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
I don't have the most up-to-date revision of the Extreme, so I'm not experiencing what Menge is experiencing, but I've been running a HD off of mine for about a year or so now for media.

It works fine for watching media, although there's some lag opening files. The problems begin when you start manipulating and moving around multiple large files simultaneously, or accessing directories with a lot of files in them. It's pretty sluggish, can beachball frequently, and has actually crashed my finder 3 times (twice locking up my entire system forcing a hard reboot).

I blame this mostly on 802.11n since it works fine and without a problem through USB 3. If all you want to do is stream media around the house (I'm not sure how this will handle high bitrate 1080p stuff though) it should suffice.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
I found this thread as I was searching for LaCie Cloudbox. I am curious if any other than Schorsch0815 has used this product? I do note his concerns. I am considering a NAS solely for iTunes/media. I am happy with my backup and DAS options but I want a NAS so that my wife can access iTunes from devices and does not have to worry if I turned off my iMac, etc., when traveling. A 2TB unit would be perfect.

----------

I had a second question, and maybe LaCieTech can jump in here, will Time Machine/Capsule read the LaCie Cloudbox and back it up? I know that the Cloudbox can be used to make Time Machine backups but my interest is strictly for an iTunes NAS. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
Has anybody managed to have an experience worth sharing about the cloudbox by now?

LaCieTech

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
I found this thread as I was searching for LaCie Cloudbox. I am curious if any other than Schorsch0815 has used this product? I do note his concerns. I am considering a NAS solely for iTunes/media. I am happy with my backup and DAS options but I want a NAS so that my wife can access iTunes from devices and does not have to worry if I turned off my iMac, etc., when traveling. A 2TB unit would be perfect.

----------

I had a second question, and maybe LaCieTech can jump in here, will Time Machine/Capsule read the LaCie Cloudbox and back it up? I know that the Cloudbox can be used to make Time Machine backups but my interest is strictly for an iTunes NAS. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hi, Time Machine, to the best of my knowledge, can only backup TO an AFP share and not FROM one. However, the Cloudbox has build in backup features which can send its data to another location on the network or a USB disk connected to it. That may be a more suitable solution since the backup time will be reduced and if all you're using the disk for is an iTunes library you want as much bandwidth available to stream and not get eaten up by constantly backing up.

We can be reached at 503-844-4500 (USA) or http://www.lacie.com/mystuff - if you want to talk to a technician directly about your setup and needs. We are happy to help and advise on a product that will be suitable for you.

~mn, LaCie

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
I have given it at a go with the white 2TB cloudbox. Looks great and working fine so far.

trend53

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Can't connect remotely

I have a Cloudbox 3TB and for the most part it's working well. It does lose connection from time to time.

My problem is I can't connect remotely which is the main thing I want to use it for. It is connected to an Airport Extreme. Does anyone know what settings I need to connect remotely? I've already set up a LaCie MyNAS account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.