Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:50 AM   #1
Borjan
macrumors regular

Thumbs up Problems with your iPad Mini 'unable to connect' to Wi-Fi? Its your 2.4 Ghz antenna

This thread is just to help out those who are having issues. I'm not the first to identify this (although I realised it on my own) but I'm putting this up in a nice and clear place so people can find this info easily.

It will go something like this. You cannot connect to a wifi network (even if it is unsecured), unless you are about 10cm away from the router. You have tried 6.0.2, you have restored settings, you are even using an Airport base station... nothing works.

But if you check further, I reckon you will find you can connect to 5ghz networks properly, but not 2.4ghz networks unless right up close.

You need to get your iPad switched out for a new one. Go to the Apple Store and explain the situation. I really doubt software can fix this. My replacement worked just fine.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:59 PM   #2
MacSince'85
macrumors member

Similar experience for me

Two days ago I awoke to an iPad mini that was no longer able to join my Wi-Fi network (it could see it, however). If I was within 10 ft of my AirPort Extreme it could join just fine but not any further. I tested it on the Wi-Fi at the gym where I could not get it to join as well. After two calls to Apple Service (the first was a disconnect after a good 30 minutes of conversation and no callback received ) they are mailing me a body bag - I mean box - and a replacement will be issued.
MacSince'85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:10 PM   #3
JPNFRK7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borjan View Post
This thread is just to help out those who are having issues. I'm not the first to identify this (although I realised it on my own) but I'm putting this up in a nice and clear place so people can find this info easily.

It will go something like this. You cannot connect to a wifi network (even if it is unsecured), unless you are about 10cm away from the router. You have tried 6.0.2, you have restored settings, you are even using an Airport base station... nothing works.

But if you check further, I reckon you will find you can connect to 5ghz networks properly, but not 2.4ghz networks unless right up close.

You need to get your iPad switched out for a new one. Go to the Apple Store and explain the situation. I really doubt software can fix this. My replacement worked just fine.
I know this is probably the best thing to do but I am nervous about doing this because my ipad worked on the networks for about 1.5 months before it had problems. Im afraid it will just happen again if I exchange it for a new one. I also have a skin on my ipad that I dont want to loose.
JPNFRK7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:13 PM   #4
MacSince'85
macrumors member

You likely have no other option

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPNFRK7 View Post
I know this is probably the best thing to do but I am nervous about doing this because my ipad worked on the networks for about 1.5 months before it had problems. Im afraid it will just happen again if I exchange it for a new one. I also have a skin on my ipad that I dont want to loose.
Sorry to hear you are having similar problems. Mine was at 2 months when the Wi-Fi broke.

First try installing the latest iOS (6.1) to see if that solves your problem (it didn't for me).

Second, verify that it will not connect to any other Wi-Fi network (McDonalds or some other public hotspot works fine for this). Be sure to try resetting your network settings (Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings) as well. If your are still not getting Wi-Fi connection then it is time to do the following:

Sync it with iTunes (be sure to sync EVERYTHING) back it up to your computer with iTunes (iCloud Backup too if you want to be extra safe) then wipe it clean with Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings.

If it still will not connect to Wi-Fi then I am afraid you have no other choice but to have it replaced (you might be able to re-use the skin if you are careful removing it).

Best wishes for a speedy solution.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:07 PM   #5
JPNFRK7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSince'85 View Post
Sorry to hear you are having similar problems. Mine was at 2 months when the Wi-Fi broke.

First try installing the latest iOS (6.1) to see if that solves your problem (it didn't for me).

Second, verify that it will not connect to any other Wi-Fi network (McDonalds or some other public hotspot works fine for this). Be sure to try resetting your network settings (Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings) as well. If your are still not getting Wi-Fi connection then it is time to do the following:

Sync it with iTunes (be sure to sync EVERYTHING) back it up to your computer with iTunes (iCloud Backup too if you want to be extra safe) then wipe it clean with Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings.

If it still will not connect to Wi-Fi then I am afraid you have no other choice but to have it replaced (you might be able to re-use the skin if you are careful removing it).

Best wishes for a speedy solution.
Thanks for all the advice, but I have tried all of this in every single way I could countless times and unfortunately I cannot get it to connect. I made a appointment with Apple for tomorrow at 11:00AM PST so I will update here on how my experience goes. Im not going to try to reuse the skin, Ill just go naked for a while just to make sure that it doesn't happen again. Do you know if my original warranty goes on with the new replacement or does it get downgraded to the 90 Day warranty?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:17 PM   #6
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, but I have tried all of this in every single way I could countless times and unfortunately I cannot get it to connect. I made a appointment with Apple for tomorrow at 11:00AM PST so I will update here on how my experience goes. Im not going to try to reuse the skin, Ill just go naked for a while just to make sure that it doesn't happen again. Do you know if my original warranty goes on with the new replacement or does it get downgraded to the 90 Day warranty?

Good luck tomorrow. Your warranty of 1 year transfers to the new device.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:43 PM   #7
JPNFRK7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Good luck tomorrow. Your warranty of 1 year transfers to the new device.
Thank you again. Ill definitely tell you how it goes (hopefully well) the only thing I worry about is if they are going to have a 64gb black ipad mini for replacement. Not many get the 64 so they might not stock as many. I dont know we shall see.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:33 AM   #8
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Thank you again. Ill definitely tell you how it goes (hopefully well) the only thing I worry about is if they are going to have a 64gb black ipad mini for replacement. Not many get the 64 so they might not stock as many. I dont know we shall see.
They should have plenty for replacements. I've only ran across one item that my Apple Store didn't have as a replacement and that was my 2 TB Time Capsule. Of course they ordered one and I had my replacement within a week.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:31 PM   #9
JPNFRK7
macrumors 6502

Just got back from Apple Store and restoring now. I have a strong wifi connection to both my 2.4 and 5 ghz channels and I am very pleased with the Apple Store experience. Walked in early, told them what was wrong, they couldn't get it to connect to the apple store wifi, Genius walks back out with new ipad, and I got out of the store 15mins before I was scheduled for. Hopefully this doesn't happen again and I am in the clear now.

I also have a question: Why is it that whenever I setup my iPad as "new" instead of restoring, it deletes my backup of the iPad? Luckily I made a backup of the backup but why is it doing this?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:22 PM   #10
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I also have a question: Why is it that whenever I setup my iPad as "new" instead of restoring, it deletes my backup of the iPad? Luckily I made a backup of the backup but why is it doing this?
Are you referring to in iTunes? If you restored as new, how do you know it deleted the backup?

(In all of my restoring whether it's from iCloud or iTunes, I've never seen any backups delete on their own. Of course I could be wrong and I've just never noticed it.)
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:28 PM   #11
JPNFRK7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Are you referring to in iTunes? If you restored as new, how do you know it deleted the backup?

(In all of my restoring whether it's from iCloud or iTunes, I've never seen any backups delete on their own. Of course I could be wrong and I've just never noticed it.)
Yes in iTunes. For some reason, I will backup the iPad/ restore and choose setup as new iPad in iTunes/ after I went to troubleshoot the wifi problem on a clean state I came back to restore from backup and it only read "iPad" in stead of the iPads custom name. I went into the backups folder on my Mac and it showed the backup for my iPad had been modified right after I restored. Luckily my iPhone backup is very similar to my iPad backup and I was able to get some things back. I guess I will have to take a backup of the backup before I restore so that I can get my stuff back.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:56 PM   #12
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Yes in iTunes. For some reason, I will backup the iPad/ restore and choose setup as new iPad in iTunes/ after I went to troubleshoot the wifi problem on a clean state I came back to restore from backup and it only read "iPad" in stead of the iPads custom name. I went into the backups folder on my Mac and it showed the backup for my iPad had been modified right after I restored. Luckily my iPhone backup is very similar to my iPad backup and I was able to get some things back. I guess I will have to take a backup of the backup before I restore so that I can get my stuff back.
Just use iCloud instead. Every time I've set up a new device, I've always had to go back to iCloud and delete my old backups as they had never been deleted and were taking up space.

Good thinking on using your iPhone backup. I still think it's odd though that the settings can't be restored when using an iPhone backup though.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:09 AM   #13
JPNFRK7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Just use iCloud instead. Every time I've set up a new device, I've always had to go back to iCloud and delete my old backups as they had never been deleted and were taking up space.

Good thinking on using your iPhone backup. I still think it's odd though that the settings can't be restored when using an iPhone backup though.
That is kind of annoying but it did save me from having to add all of my accounts back to certain apps (facebook, gmail, etc). I now take a backup of everything and put it on my external hard drive.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:21 AM   #14
MacSince'85
macrumors member

Quote:

When restoring, the Settings app says that it will backup the device after the restore is completed. So I am assuming that if something went wrong with the restore (incomplete, etc.) then it will overwrite your original backup with the new one. I think it does the same for setting up as a new device if you allow iCloud to back it up it will backup in the current state (clean install with no apps or settings) which would overwrite your original backup. So the trick would be to not have it set to backup to iCloud until you get everything restored the way you want it. iCloud Backup is not really a backup, it is more of an instant flash shot of the current state of the device to allow a restore if needed.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:59 AM   #15
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
When restoring, the Settings app says that it will backup the device after the restore is completed. So I am assuming that if something went wrong with the restore (incomplete, etc.) then it will overwrite your original backup with the new one. I think it does the same for setting up as a new device if you allow iCloud to back it up it will backup in the current state (clean install with no apps or settings) which would overwrite your original backup. So the trick would be to not have it set to backup to iCloud until you get everything restored the way you want it. iCloud Backup is not really a backup, it is more of an instant flash shot of the current state of the device to allow a restore if needed.
iCloud is just as much of a backup as iTunes. iCloud backs up all of the data on the device including photos and videos.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:53 AM   #16
MacSince'85
macrumors member

Quote:
iCloud is just as much of a backup as iTunes. iCloud backs up all of the data on the device including photos and videos.
I understand that iCloud is just as much of a backup as iTunes, I was just making the distinction between it and something such as TimeMachine that keeps a sequential backup. What happens is that iCloud Restore automatically (read not an option to change) performs a backup when it completes which introduces the chance of wiping out a perfectly good backup if you are not careful.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:40 PM   #17
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Add me to the cant-connect to Wi-FI.

I managed before, but reliability was bad.
Tried all the tricks to get it to work, and now does not connect at all.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:59 PM   #18
JPNFRK7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post

Take it to Apple they should take care of you. Just be sure to make a backup of your iPad before going. My replacement is still working great.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:13 PM   #19
MacSince'85
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post

If you tried an erase and reset and also tried updating to iOS 6.1 and you cannot get it to connect to ANY Wi-Fi hotspot then it is probably a hardware failure so call Apple Care or take it into an Apple Store. Just be aware that you will be given a refurbished item as replacement (in most situations) no matter what the Apple rep tells you.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:50 PM   #20
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Thanks guys, turned out to be my wireless router. It was a little too old and had difficulty with the latest protocols in the mini.
I think I also used WEP, instead of WAP2, a preferred security.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:15 PM   #21
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

On mine I can connect to the 2.4ghz band fine but 5ghz does not work. Any solutions? I use a netgear router
Thetonyk123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:21 PM   #22
JPNFRK7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetonyk123 View Post
On mine I can connect to the 2.4ghz band fine but 5ghz does not work. Any solutions? I use a netgear router
Luckily my Apple Store had both 2.4 and 5.0 ghz wifi and it was super simple to get the problem to replicate. I showed the genius that it wouldn't connect to 2.4ghz wifi and then switched over to 5.0ghz wifi and showed him how slow it was. He said Ill be right back, 2mins later walked out with a white box and handed me my replacement. Super simple process and they got me in early and out of there 15 mins before my appointment was supposed to start. Now I know this wont happen to everyone but just go in and explain the problem, show them the problem, they will probably ask to erase the device, try it again, and if problem still persists replace it.

BTW: I tried all of the solutions that I could find online and none of them worked for me.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:49 PM   #23
MacSince'85
macrumors member

2.4 ghz vs 5.0 ghz

Quote:
Luckily my Apple Store had both 2.4 and 5.0 ghz wifi and it was super simple to get the problem to replicate. I showed the genius that it wouldn't connect to 2.4ghz wifi and then switched over to 5.0ghz wifi and showed him how slow it was. He said Ill be right back, 2mins later walked out with a white box and handed me my replacement. Super simple process and they got me in early and out of there 15 mins before my appointment was supposed to start. Now I know this wont happen to everyone but just go in and explain the problem, show them the problem, they will probably ask to erase the device, try it again, and if problem still persists replace it.

BTW: I tried all of the solutions that I could find online and none of them worked for me.
Sorry, but I am not very informed on this matter. How do you tell it a hotspot is running 2.4 or 5.0 ghz? I know my Wi-Fi antenna died but I was never able to test which one it was before I sent it in for replacement.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:17 PM   #24
JPNFRK7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sorry, but I am not very informed on this matter. How do you tell it a hotspot is running 2.4 or 5.0 ghz? I know my Wi-Fi antenna died but I was never able to test which one it was before I sent it in for replacement.
Is your router dual band? If so this can be harder. If it is only a single band, it is probably a 2.4ghz. Look online for your router and look at the specs online, it will say if your router is a dual band or not. If it is a dual band, figure out how to log into the router and look at the settings for each band. It should say which one is which. Most routers that people use are single and 2.4 and they are the most compatible with everything that we use.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:21 PM   #25
MacSince'85
macrumors member

Quote:
Is your router dual band? If so this can be harder. If it is only a single band, it is probably a 2.4ghz. Look online for your router and look at the specs online, it will say if your router is a dual band or not. If it is a dual band, figure out how to log into the router and look at the settings for each band. It should say which one is which. Most routers that people use are single and 2.4 and they are the most compatible with everything that we use.
My router (AirPort Extreme White gumdrop style) is only 2.4 ghz. I was just wondering if there is a way to know what another hotspot is running at so I can test my devices on both frequencies to verify proper functioning.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting