Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know this is an insanely n00bish question but I've never figured out how to turn the Num Lock on....I have a Apple wireless keyboard.
There is no Num Lock key on the Apple Wireless Keyboard.
if you use the apple wireless keyboard, in OS X, there is no num lock. the number keypad on the right is on number all the time.
There is no number keypad on the Apple Wireless Keyboard... only the Wired Keyboard.

anishr28

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2008
i never got the answer to the problem......

Well thats strange....my keypad has never worked from day 1 then...I've never had much use for it so I haven't complained....its strange because my =/*-+ and volume/eject keys all work....its just the numbers that dont work...if I happen to hit "0" on the keypad my comp freezes for a bit....I don't know what is going on

hey....... i never got the answer to ur prob abt the +-* keys working on the numpad but the numeric keys not working at all.............. the screen freezes over and thats it..... i have tried this out with a number of applications including text edit and word for mac..... and by the way.....the numpad works fine for another account on the same mac but not on my account......... i have also tried universal access and thats no help at all........please help......... :confused: regards..

i have an imac 2007 2.0 ghz 20" intel core 2 duo

crystalack

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
hey....... i never got the answer to ur prob abt the +-* keys working on the numpad but the numeric keys not working at all.............. the screen freezes over and thats it..... i have tried this out with a number of applications including text edit and word for mac..... and by the way.....the numpad works fine for another account on the same mac but not on my account......... i have also tried universal access and thats no help at all........please help......... :confused: regards..

i have an imac 2007 2.0 ghz 20" intel core 2 duo

i am having this exact problem with my computer. the num lock was on, but one day it just turned off and i have no clue how to turn it back on.
i have read this entire thread and none of the things you've said works :[
my keyboard looks like this:

2rxw5ds.jpg

Wikinerd

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
i am having this exact problem with my computer. the num lock was on, but one day it just turned off and i have no clue how to turn it back on.
i have read this entire thread and none of the things you've said works :[
my keyboard looks like this:

The new keyboard is basically the same as the old one... cept the caps lock which has an anti-jab measure (you need to press and hold to turn it on)

1. if you are in windows, press "clear" once. that should be the same key as a real num lock in windows

2. if you are in Mac OS X, try pressing the "alt/option" key 5 times in quick sucession

crystalack

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
The new keyboard is basically the same as the old one... cept the caps lock which has an anti-jab measure (you need to press and hold to turn it on)

1. if you are in windows, press "clear" once. that should be the same key as a real num lock in windows

2. if you are in Mac OS X, try pressing the "alt/option" key 5 times in quick sucession

that didn't work ...

Wikinerd

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
that didn't work ...

Well there's another way to do the same thing,... not sure if this works if pressing alt/option five times doesnt work...

Go to System Preferences,
Under Universal Access, find the "Mouse and Trackpad" tab
Under "for difficulties using the mouse"
make sure that Mouse Keys are turned off

crystalack

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
Well there's another way to do the same thing,... not sure if this works if pressing alt/option five times doesnt work...

Go to System Preferences,
Under Universal Access, find the "Mouse and Trackpad" tab
Under "for difficulties using the mouse"
make sure that Mouse Keys are turned off

yupp those don't work ...

Scriffle

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2008
Solution - Use the Microsoft OnScreen Keybaord.

To enable the keypad to work in Windows, all that needs to happen is you press the Numlock key.
Since there isn't one on the apple keyboard, use the OnScreen Keybaord and click the Numlock key with your mouse.
Your Keypad should now generate Numbers instead of arrow key commands.
Works fine for me.
Instruction for finding the OnScreen Keybaord are here
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsxp/usingkeyboard.aspx
Cheers
Scriffle

crystalack

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
To enable the keypad to work in Windows, all that needs to happen is you press the Numlock key.
Since there isn't one on the apple keyboard, use the OnScreen Keybaord and click the Numlock key with your mouse.
Your Keypad should now generate Numbers instead of arrow key commands.
Works fine for me.
Instruction for finding the OnScreen Keybaord are here
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsxp/usingkeyboard.aspx
Cheers
Scriffle

lets make this clear, i'm using a MAC OS X computer ... running on version 10.5.5
the above keyboard came with it!

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
In Bootcamp/Parallels/Fusion, I have successfully used the "Clear" key by itself (no onscreen keyboard, never knew of one) to activate NumLock. Otherwise, on Mac OS X, NumLock is always on and I don't think can be disabled, as apparent by the key only displaying "Clear" (on newer keyboards/versions of OS X). Only the older keyboards have the light for it, but just because there is no light on the more recent ones does not mean it isn't working. It does.

If you are using Apple's Wireless Aluminum keyboard, there is no numpad and therefor no need for a numlock key.

Proof: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1216

crystalack

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
In Bootcamp/Parallels/Fusion, I have successfully used the "Clear" key by itself (no onscreen keyboard, never knew of one) to activate NumLock. Otherwise, on Mac OS X, NumLock is always on and I don't think can be disabled, as apparent by the key only displaying "Clear" (on newer keyboards/versions of OS X). Only the older keyboards have the light for it, but just because there is no light on the more recent ones does not mean it isn't working. It does.

If you are using Apple's Wireless Aluminum keyboard, there is no numpad and therefor no need for a numlock key.

Proof: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1216

maybe it's just my keyboard? it's still not working, the clear button.

dcabaracol

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2009
Numlock Solution to Apple Wireless Keyboard (Office Excel for Mac)

Guys,

I've seen that this thread have come a long way. To solve the NumLock Problem if using Microsoft Excel, just do:

Press <SHIFT>+<CLEAR> altogether to toggle between turning On and Off the NUMLOCK for Office Excel for Mac.

Do let me know if this works for you.

Cheers,
Dione

heldschi

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2009
Hello forum members,

possible I have the solution about the numbers problem, as have forum member MBM007,
please go to system in the systemmenu then go to universal entry or so (I am not sure because I read the program in an other language) bleu round sign with a person inside. op this menu than go to mouse and the first you see put them on out. now must be everything normal, by me it is working also for my wireless blue tooth keyboard with have also many problems before.

YESSS!!!!! I WORKED THANK YOU SOOO MUCH I SEARCHED IN THE INTERNET FOR LIKE 1:30 HOURS!!!!!!! :cool:

dijango999

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
dijango999

hai friends
there is a solution for this mater
follow me
first go to system preference > universal accss> Mouse on that window just turn off the mouse keys
so if iam right pls give me the feedback so every one bye take care

crystalack

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
hai friends
there is a solution for this mater
follow me
first go to system preference > universal accss> Mouse on that window just turn off the mouse keys
so if iam right pls give me the feedback so every one bye take care

THAT WORKED! -- THANK GOD, AND THANK YOU

CrapMACuser

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Num lock

I have a problem too - my num lock needs to be on so that i can type. Its just happened today. When you turn it off nothing happens when you type. Please help someone!

drmacsa

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
easy solution!!!

just press shift and clear, and the num lock will work. so mac so easy :)

frojive

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
keypad in Quark

I found a thread on here that talked about the clear key also works as a numlock.

My keypad works every were but in Quark. Actually it stopped working just a few minutes ago. I think I accidentally hit some type of key command that caused it to change. The 4,8, and 9 work. If I hold down the shift key all the keypad works as normal.

Can anyone tell me what I did, and how to fix it?

Linnintek

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
Problem solved

Hello forum members,

possible I have the solution about the numbers problem, as have forum member MBM007,
please go to system in the systemmenu then go to universal entry or so (I am not sure because I read the program in an other language) bleu round sign with a person inside. op this menu than go to mouse and the first you see put them on out. now must be everything normal, by me it is working also for my wireless blue tooth keyboard with have also many problems before.

I use music composition software and the non functioning num. Pad a been more than a pain in the butt for the last few years, the problem I had on 2 machines and both keyboards is now solved thanks to this chap, it is indeed sys. Prefs/universal/mouse/mouse keys - turn off mouse keys and like magic the num. Pad works, what a major flaw in the os. And there is nothing to tell you this in help "my numerical key pad doesn't work" - "turn the num. Lock off!" !!!!

chaundra81

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
replying to apple keyboard post

:)

Hello,

I was wondering the same thing about the apple keyboard and it does not have a num lock button. it is a clear button and that is what toggles the on and off option for the number pad. It also does not have any light, so you have to try the numbers to see if you have it on or not!

Hope this helped simple and right to the point!!
good luck!

swulf205

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
number pad fix (hopefully for you)

on my keyboard there is no num lock or lights if you go into the system preference and then universal access and click the mouse there is a spot to uncheck it says mouse keys on/off to use the side numbers as numbers or it says you can it f6 (5x) it should change it also. Hope this helps you because it was driving me nuts too. Good Luck

DenVog

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
California
NumLock App Project

Like some of you, I recently had to ditch my Apple extended keyboard, and was really missing the number pad. I started a NumLock project in an attempt to bring it back as an app, where you can use a menu item, or customizable hotkey combination.

If it sounds useful to you, I'd greatly appreciate your backing and help to spread the word. Click the Facebook and Twitter buttons on the Kickstarter page, or include the link when using your social media platform of choice. A couple clicks make a HUGE difference.

Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.