Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Last week whilst snowboarding, I took out my GoPro HD Hero 2 and collected a few hour's footage each day.

I now have around 50Gb of footage in 720p/60fps and would like to edit it in iMovie '11.

I think this is a pretty simple request. What the Merry HELL am I meant to do?

I expected to be able to browse to my external 4tb hard-drive within iMovie and see it sitting there ready to edit. Apparently not.

I then clicked on 'import' on just ONE folder (it's divided into five, Monday-Friday) and it took two hours to 'import', then won't even turn up in the browser anyway (even I can see hideously large .mov copies of these files in Finder.

Why on EARTH should I be doing anything more than browsing to my footage on my external hard-drive and editing it straight into my film?

What am I meant to do?

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
iMovie can't cope with 60fps video. Don't use GoPro myself but google came up with this post:
http://www.newschoolers.com/ns/forums/readthread/thread_id/593005/

even I can see hideously large .mov copies of these files in Finder
iMovie will convert your video to Quicktime, using the Apple Intermediate Codec. This works out at about 10Gb per hour for Standard Definition video. What it is for HD video, I don't know, but it will be a lot more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.