Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:51 PM   #1
slapple
macrumors 6502

Cannot install latest ATI Catalyst driver in W7 on MBP

I have a 2011 MBP with the ATI Radeon HD 6770M. I have Boot Camp installed with Windows 7 64-bit.

Up until today, I was just using the latest Boot Camp drivers, which include an ATI Radeon driver dated 1/4/2011. But then I got a couple of BSODs in Windows 7 while just browsing with Firefox. The crashes were seemingly related to the video drivers, so I thought I should update to the latest ATI Catalyst drivers.

I went to the ATI web site, and it told me to download the AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification Tool. I installed that, and it said: "Your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter."

Seems like some people have seen that message before, and others have suggested to just download the latest drivers and install them. So I downloaded this and installed it: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/13-1_vis...d_ccc_whql.exe

The installation seemed to go well, but then even after rebooting, Device Manager said the ATI Radeon HD 6770M driver was dated 1/4/2011. So the driver never got updated. I uninstalled that driver, then re-ran the ATI Catalyst installation program, and it still installed the 1/4/2011 driver.

Why can't I get the latest driver installed?

EDIT:

After spending a few hours uninstalling and reinstalling video drivers and then doing a repair on my Boot Camp drivers, I finally got the latest Catalyst drivers installed and working. You need the mobility version which you can download from http://www.guru3d.com/files_get/amd_...ownload,3.html

Last edited by slapple; Feb 3, 2013 at 01:37 AM. Reason: got it working
slapple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:08 AM   #2
MaximizedAction
macrumors newbie

Awesome! The update worked perfectly without any bsods thus far.

Thank you so much!
MaximizedAction is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac