Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

viciousx23

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
First off, gotta give a BIG thanks unsanity77 for making this black dock happen!

However, seeing as I'm a complete noob to this, I don't exactly know to edit the following lines below so that my dock is darker. Could anyone guide me in the right direction here? :D

----
Patch 0xDC0AD to 0F 57 C0
Patch 0xDC0C8 to 0F 57 C0 90 90 90 90 90
Patch 0xDC0ED to 0F 57 C0 90 90 90 90 90
Patch 0xDC19F to 0F 57 C0 90 90 90 90 90
Patch 0xDC1C7 to 0F 57 C0 90 90 90 90 90
Patch 0xDC26D to 0F 57 C0
Patch 0xDC31D to 0F 57 C0 90 90 90 90 90

Patch 0xAC to 00 (so kernel doesn't attempt to decrypt what's already decrypted)
----

unsanity77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Just use the program downloaded from the first post in this thread, it automates the process so you don't have to edit the binary by hand anymore.

viciousx23

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Oh ok, gotcha. I mistakenly thought that by editing the above code into the Dock app I could get an even darker "true" black color as opposed to the zip file that you posted in the first post. Thanks for the clarification. :p

Oh and one more thing. Is there any way I could make the reflections so that it's crisper in detail instead of being half blurred out? If so, which file(s) do I have to edit for that to happen?

Last edited:

TheSacredSoul

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2010
Doesnt work for me. Still on this fugly dock. The dock restarts after i hit enter on the script but it comes back to this dock. On ML 10.8.2 on a MBA late 2010.

bqm1yDq.png

unsanity77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Doesnt work for me. Still on this fugly dock. The dock restarts after i hit enter on the script but it comes back to this dock. On ML 10.8.2 on a MBA late 2010.

In Terminal.app, type the following and press <enter>:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -bool NO

And then:
Code:
killall Dock

TheSacredSoul

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2010
In Terminal.app, type the following and press <enter>:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -bool NO

And then:
Code:
killall Dock

Fantastic! That worked! Thank you!

Could you please explain to me what was the problem? Was I using a different dock than the stock dock? Just for reference. :eek:

Teakuno

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
Victoria B.C. Canada
In the past you used a simaler terminal command or an app similar to Mountain Tweaks to change your dock to the 2d dock that is normally used only when you set the dock to appear on the side of the screen.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
YAY! I never thought there'd be a black dock in ML! Thanks much!

This is my most hoped for visual tweak. We have black menubar, but I was used to black dock from Lion (CandyBar). Hopefully you keep it updated for continued compatibility.

Is it safe to use? When updating OSX in future, could it break something or would it just revert to old dock?

Last edited:

unsanity77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
It would not break anything to update, you would just end up with the default dock.

Also, it is safe.

zambz

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
Really awesome app indeed. I'm sorry to ask, but is it possible to incorporate more colours and transparency alterations with this mod?

Keep up the great work!

unsanity77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Thank you. I'm sure glad people find it useful.

There might be a way to incorporate more colors and/or transparency. I looked into it a couple of weeks ago, and realized that I probably could, most likely by injecting a framework and overriding the entire functions rather than patching the code in them. It would require a fair bit of work though, but keep an eye out here over the next couple OS X updates and see how it progresses. I intend to get around to it sometime, definitely.

viciousx23

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Everything was working perfectly until today, when for some reason I noticed that my dock reflection was misaligned once I killed the dock. Does anyone have a fix to this?

***EDIT***
Never mind, I manually used TransDock X to hide the dock and undo it, and it fixed itself. Strange, but hey, whatever works! ;D

Also while I'm at it, is it possible to make my reflections less blurry by any chance? Thanks in advance. :D

Last edited:

moutian

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2004
Detroit
Originally I used the command line method to apply the mod in 10.8.2. After updating to 10.8.3, I tried the gui method, and I can confirm it works on 10.8.3. Great job!

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011

chaplinb

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
You sir, are a pro.

Thanks, this looks really awesome!

I can confirm the GUI Tool works 100% on Mountain Lion 10.8.3, and was precisely what I was looking for :D.

I can't thank you enough for making this tool free.

unsanity77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks, this looks really awesome!

I can confirm the GUI Tool works 100% on Mountain Lion 10.8.3, and was precisely what I was looking for :D.

I can't thank you enough for making this tool free.

Thank you all for your interest in the program. I have actually spent the last few weeks working really hard on adding some much-requested features here. I looked into another way of hooking into the Dock application, and it turned out to work quite nicely, and so I was able to do quite a lot with it. As it stands right now, the current form of the application will allow you to choose any color for your dock (from pink to green to purple -- and yes, black). You pick 5 different colors and it will form a gradient for your Dock. Additionally, you can choose different gradient themes for EACH SPACE in your OS X desktop, and the dock will change colors as you switch spaces.

I am planning on adding the ability to choose image files as well, as that can easily be done. Reflection opacity, icon tint overlays, etc. are all ideas in my head at the moment as well -- it just takes time to implement them. So they will be added to the program some time in the near future.

For now, my plan is to get this out there as quickly as possible, but I want it to be rock-solid stable. The problem with hooking into apps like this is it can cause stability issues and crashes, etc. and in a process like the Dock this will completely cripple your system. Which reflects badly on the developer, since it's my job to make sure it doesn't happen.

In the end, what this means is that I will be releasing a paid version of the app. I will continue to support the dockmod that is on this forum and release updates to it free of charge, but the new features I'm adding will be an entirely separate product for which I will charge a very modest fee. But, you will still be able to change your dock to black for free, forever.

1) Is there a way to reduce the icon reflections, but not remove them?

2) Can I change the dock color to a lighter black (dark gray) color, so that on black backgrounds it isn't so jet black?

3) Would love if you could include the white light indicators from KillaAarons release: http://killaaaron.deviantart.com/art/Nocturne-Theme-For-Mountain-Lion-326453358

Good feature requests. Yes, there is a way to reduce the icon reflections and I will look into adding that. I will not include the light indicators, however, as they are already available from killaaron.

Will you open source this code ever?

I've thought about this, and I mentioned before that I would if I stopped developing it. But the deal with that is that I'd only really be open-sourcing the method I use to patch, not exactly what I'm patching, and definitely not how I'm patching. It takes an incredible amount of reverse-engineering to come up with hooks such as this, and when they break on a new OS X release (which they are likely to do), it still requires intimate knowledge of how the hooked application works to know what to do and what functions to look at in order to fix it. So, basically, having the source to this app will not help you if you don't know how to go about finding where in the Dock process you need to patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.