Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You can’t play touch screen games on a TV because you need to watch the touch screen to be sure you’re on the buttons. That is one of the things keeping me from getting the Wii U.
Agreed. I just don't see why so many say "look at games on iOS, let's put 'em on a TV!" It's two completely different control paradigms. I should check out the U, see what it really does. It looks pointless, but I haven't studied it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Weird. I was just thinking 2 weeks ago, " What if Apple bought Nintendo?" It's not gonna happen, but it would be cool if Nintendo would license their franchise games to the iOS platform.

Yep. A lot of folks believe that the classic stuff. Original Mario/super Mario, donkey kong etc would play just fine on iOS. And might encourage console sales as folks get a taste of the games on their iOS devices and want the more powerful stuff that can't play on them.

One could ask why Steam doesn't release anything in iOS for the same reasons. I'm sure there's some classic games that would play just fine. Wet the whistle and get folks aware of the system

----------

Like many, I don't believe gaming is in Apple's DNA. I think that on this one, they should partner with those who "know gaming".

In a way that is exactly what they have done. They don't write the games, just create hardware. As if the game developers can make a game that works from the hardware (and software) great. Have at it.

But gaming isn't Apples key focus so they won't design just for it.

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
In a way that is exactly what they have done. They don't write the games, just create hardware. As if the game developers can make a game that works from the hardware (and software) great. Have at it.

But gaming isn't Apples key focus so they won't design just for it.

iDevices are gimped in graphics hardware compared to dedicated consoles, but the A6 and A6X chips can put on a respectable show. No one argues that the graphics from Infinity Blade 2 or Lili are terrible. Apple has built up such a large community of developers, that they would be able to make a hobby out of more serious gaming.

I know I'm going to get the third degree for suggesting this, so let me first disclaim that I know nothing can really replace the form and function of a physical controller when it comes to some games. That said, it probably wouldn't be that difficult for Apple to write a touchscreen controller app for iPhone/iPod Touch that would link one of those devices with either an iPad or an AppleTV, and use the former as a touchscreen game controller. Build in the necessary APIs to let developers take advantage of the input, and you would have access to a very nice moderately powered gaming system that can be either portable (iPad) or living room (aTV).

Yeah, you aren't going to be playing the latest AAA titles in full HD with all the graphics settings maxxed, but I would imagine that developers would come up with some pretty cool new stuff, as well as porting some classics.

Edit: And the only thing I have to say about the gentleman giving the lecture referenced in the article is that I'm pretending he doesn't exist until the world finally gets to explore the Aperture Science Icebreaker Borealis.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Like many, I don't believe gaming is in Apple's DNA. I think that on this one, they should partner with those who "know gaming". Of all, Valve would be a prime candidate.

But in a way or another, they should invade the gaming market: so many people hold onto Windows only for gaming purposes. I am one... I use Mac for everything but I have a monster beast of a PC for gaming.

I don't think there is anything stopping a Shield Client for iOS or Mac happening. Use iDevices & androids out there to sell that new SteamBox console for them. Why fight something that could work for you?

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Agreed. I just don't see why so many say "look at games on iOS, let's put 'em on a TV!" It's two completely different control paradigms. I should check out the U, see what it really does. It looks pointless, but I haven't studied it.

And yet they do it the other way - there are games that start out on consoles and move to iOS, and sometimes they do an amazing job transferring control and gameplay, Joe Danger is a great example, so why is it so inconceivable that games designed for iOS would not transfer to the TV? Is it merely the controller, which I agree can't be a touch interface where you have to look at your controller and not the TV screen - but that's nothing that a new dedicated Apple game controller wouldn't solve.

Casual games are played by millions and millions of people - it's the market they would pursue, leaving the hard core gaming to console makers. Apple will never displace Sony or MS consoles - those two will fight it out for the next many years, and Nintendo will probably follow in the footsteps of Sega. It's the masses who don't own consoles, would never buy one that Apple should pursue - that's where I see an Apple play, and it only has to be a small extension from where they are already successful in the world of gaming.

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Why all the doubt and negativity towards this? Have people not seen how much of an impact mobile gaming on iDevices has made? And before anyone tries to degrade it, there are hundreds of games- many of them for core gamers, exclusives- along with early releases and great visuals.

They've got the user base, several games and they can simply add a more serious gaming experience to the Apple TV. The only reason I can think of to doubt this is because is hasn't happened yet!

Dolmacje

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
Land of Beers
Controller

I first would like to see what kind of controller they could surprise us with... then the hardware itself, if they go all crazy on this thing it will be at a cost!

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
The problem for Apple would not be the hardware, but the ecosystem. Just like they dominate with iTunes and a massive App Store, and it limits other entrants, Microsoft and Sony have massive ecosystems, of which the XBox is the best IMO. If you switch to an Apple game environment, you give up your circle of friends that you game with on which ever current console you use. You give up the backwards compatibility of older games that the consoles offer, even when they update hardware. I would not give up my friends, game library or "Gamerscore" and list of achievements for anything Apple may come out with. And that is coming from a pretty major Apple fan. Apple, I am sure, understands this challenge if they tried to enter this market, and knows it is rather prohibitive. The social network of gaming makes people very loyal. Very different than switching TV or Phone hardware.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I first would like to see what kind of controller they could surprise us with... then the hardware itself, if they go all crazy on this thing it will be at a cost!

Controller, yes, but the hardware itself, why? The hardware shouldn't need any upgrade at all - it's already powering devices that run iOS games, and that's where Apple would have its strongest play, as an extension to the world of existing iOS games. Why create something new? (at least for now) Leave the hardcore gaming to the game consoles, and continue doing what millions and millions of people enjoy already - gaming on iOS, but now on your television (with simply a new interface, the new Apple Game Controller, iGame).

...Table Top Racing

Downloaded it earlier today, played once on my iPad, once on my iPhone (at work) - can't wait till I get a chance to really spend some time with it, my first plays were really fun (great graphics on both iPhone and iPad versions!), many thanks for the referral (though that was the last thing I needed - I've got so many awesome games on my iPad I can't begin to spend enough time with them all!). Thanks, though!!

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
There is a huge quality difference between the vast majority of games on iOS and those designed for gaming consoles. Apple would have to develop a separate branding/licensing/approval mechanism for games if they want to compete with console gaming. Gamers aren't going to sift through hundreds of low quality apps they are happy to pay the $20-$60 for their games because they want the quality. Apple would need to get good enough graphics hardware into their iOS environment to attract developers, and create a market with a high enough QA process that gamers won't laugh at the idea.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
. Apple has built up such a large community of developers, that they would be able to make a hobby out of more serious gaming.

Classic Apple. They leave the 'serious gaming' to those who can presumably do it better.

. That said, it probably wouldn't be that difficult for Apple to write a touchscreen controller app for iPhone/iPod Touch that would link one of those devices with either an iPad or an AppleTV, and use the former as a touchscreen game controller.

It's already in the SDK as something that can be built into the apps. The Incident is an example that is using it.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Steam Founder Gabe Newell Says Apple Could Be Biggest Player in Games Market

With what, tons of cr..p from the app store but now on a tv? I'll stick with real gaming.

VoR

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Sounds like Valve are continuing their push away from Windows to me.

Gabe might be one of the most famous anti-win8'ers about, but I think a lot of this is down to the Windows store. Apple already have their own competing, locked-in eco system that I'm sure Gabe isn't a huge fan of either :)

Valve are continuing to do great things for gaming and should be supported by everyone. With the osx client, their linux client and their steam console plans, more and more publishers will be under pressure to move away from directx and produce portable, native games for all platforms - Very exciting!

Hell0W0rld

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2010
That would be horrible, dumping prices on 'normal'-games as well?
Fremium only titles for your apple-console.

Good for Apple. Bad for developers and gamers alike.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Valve are continuing to do great things for gaming and should be supported by everyone. With the osx client, their linux client and their steam console plans, more and more publishers will be under pressure to move away from directx and produce portable, native games for all platforms - Very exciting!

It is, but it's more work for us developers too :p.
But I love their push away from Windows because it feels like the start of a big shift in gaming.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Phone games are not even real games.

WTF is a "real" game? Given the complexity of games on iOS, I guess that means all Amiga, C64, Coleco and Intellivision weren't "real" games (let alone an Odyssey or heaven forbid an analog PONG machine). :rolleyes:

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
New York
I LOVE GABEN
saint-gaben.jpeg

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
WTF is a "real" game? Given the complexity of games on iOS, I guess that means all Amiga, C64, Coleco and Intellivision weren't "real" games (let alone an Odyssey or heaven forbid an analog PONG machine). :rolleyes:

A game that doesn't bore me after 5 min of playing. I'm not denying that mobile games have their place (I personally play them from time to time when waiting in line, etc), but they are not a replacement for computer games that actually have depth, or even possibly an e-sports following.

Mr. WilliamLondon, when I say I prefer "real" gaming it doesn't mean I declare myself superior, it just means that I like that type of gaming..

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Apple & Gaming: no... but partnering w/ Sony or Microsoft or even both to include their next generation consoles into an upcoming Apple TV: yes... and don't say I am crazy. Multiple set-ut-boxes, consoles, players, etc... This is crazy. Todays technology is more and more about merging multiple gadgets into a single one. And I see the upcoming Apple TV as a big opportunity. Maybe not with the first generations but if this device happens, it will be a multi-tasking-monster.

Apple has never actively catered to gaming. The kind of thing you're suggesting would be a completely different stance for them. They made the iphone. They sold it in large numbers with a basically fixed set of specs. Games just showed up due to its popularity. People already own the device, so you have a very low barrier of entry. They aren't buying a $300+ console solely to gain access to $40-60 games. Many of them would have the phone either way. A game might be $5-20. The purchasing commitment is just extremely low.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
Apple will never displace Sony or MS consoles - those two will fight it out for the next many years, and Nintendo will probably follow in the footsteps of Sega.

That's pretty funny. Was thinking the exact opposite to be true. The only thing keeping Sony and MS afloat in the console space is their huge pile of $$ reserves. That and the PS has Bluray for HD movies and both Sony and MS have copied motion control from Wii. Other than that they are largely irrelevant. Nintendo is raking in the $$ from only one thing, gaming. I hear a lot of talk about the next generation Xbox/PS but it's all vaporware at the moment. Nintendo is the only one already here.

Back on the Apple front, I do hope that they take a serious look at non-mobile gaming, whether it be for the Mac, TV, or both. I am tired of Macs capable of "almost" everything computing. Gaming is a part of computing for many. Whether they want to admit it or not is up to them. I don't mind paying a bit more for the same spec'ed hardware as a PC counterpart if it comes from Apple and games natively. I'm not buying a Mac Pro though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.