Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:09 AM   #1
bilbo--baggins
macrumors 6502a

Warning: WD Black 4TB sticker peeling in Mac Pro

I recently installed a Western Digital Black 4TB drive in Bay 1 of my Mac Pro (early 2008). When swapping some drives around today I noticed one of the stickers has peeled off partially exposing a screw. It seems that these drives are thicker than most drives, and the label isn't recessed like most of them are. The drive seems to still work, but I suspect the label is to stop dust getting in.

Looking in the Mac Pro, it seems Bay 2 shouldn't have this issue (not sure about 3 or 4).

Just a warning - if you get one of these thicker drives probably safer to avoid Bay 1.

I suspect that if my drive now has problems the warranty will be invalid - which is quite annoying given how expensive these drives are, and part of my justification for spending that much was the 5 year warranty...
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:28 AM   #2
DanielCoffey
macrumors 65816

Report it to WD now, before you have an actual fault. Ask them to append a comment onto their record of your warranty saying you have discovered the issue now.
DanielCoffey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:37 AM   #3
bilbo--baggins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
Report it to WD now, before you have an actual fault. Ask them to append a comment onto their record of your warranty saying you have discovered the issue now.
Thanks for the reply. I have submitted a case to WD - I had the same idea, better to pre-empt a problem than try to return it later with a peeled off sticker.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro