Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Of course, I only have the base model. Maybe you 12 core people have fan RPMs that are so high that I would have lost my entire arm, or even my torso.

System specs in sig.

Same speeds as you, though the PCI-e fan idles at around 1200-1500 RPM because of the RAID controller. Still suck my finger in it, didn't do anything. Before I had time to take my finger out (without breaking the fan blades, since the rotor was still trying to turn)- the machine clicked off. I was rather surprised to see that the SMC killed the power after such a short threshold.

I'm confused as to why the EU regulations apply to the Mac Pro (even though I can't be bothered to read up on what the Mac Pro is infringing upon). Can't Apple just ship an Apple-branded lock on the back of the EU Mac Pro, and consider the entire case a giant fan guard? You have to unlock the lock before you can lift the latch to open the system. Put a blurb about this in a manual somewhere.

-SC

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
Recently several countries introduced a requirement that even internal fans need to have grills on them to prevent you from hurting your wittle fingers.

The regulation covers more than just fan grills, and regulation isn't particularly written for "All cases, except when some posters on the internet or a company thinks it might be silly, then its fine". The safety regulations want protections for electronic devices - and the Mac Pro is an electronic device.

Question: When in the vicinity of the Mac Pro, do you often fear for your safety and the safety of those around you in light of the lack of fan guards?

No, but I do worry about power to ports and the like, which are also covered by the regulation, and I do unplug the damned thing when I go about its internals.

Question2: Are you satisfied European governments are protecting customers from this product by making it illegal to sell it there? Should they introduce those requirements here in the US?

The didn't make it illegal to sell it there. They made it illegal to sale without required safety features. There's a difference. And no, I'm not satisfied - neither the U.S. government nor most of the EU has strong enough consumer protection laws.

Question3: Is it not clearly Apple's fault they are not in compliance

Yes it is. Apple is a large company with a substantial legal department. Regulatory compliance is something they handle quite well (what do you think all those little logos are on the back of your iPhone?). It is their fault that they can't be bothered to update the Mac Pro to comply with the law.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I don't like sacrificing quality for safety and green standards- but then "Kiss" was a quality nightclub, wasn't it?

Apple is a large company with a substantial legal department. Regulatory compliance is something they handle quite well (what do you think all those little logos are on the back of your iPhone?). It is their fault that they can't be bothered to update the Mac Pro to comply with the law.

Any big company loves regulation because it locks out competition. Their own lawyers helped write the standards in some fields, and compliance only means keep doing what they have always done.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
The regulation covers more than just fan grills, and regulation isn't particularly written for "All cases, except when some posters on the internet or a company thinks it might be silly, then its fine". The safety regulations want protections for electronic devices - and the Mac Pro is an electronic device.

So is the iron that my wife uses for my shirts. Guess what, it gets freaking HOT and I could BURN MYSELF!

Where is the EU on this?? MANY CHILDREN WILL DIE!

slughead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
So is the iron that my wife uses for my shirts. Guess what, it gets freaking HOT and I could BURN MYSELF!

WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN! Those pint-sized computer junkies will lose their fingers in Apple's death trap. Look how easy it is to open the case, clearly it's designed to devour the digits of the young!

Any big company loves regulation because it locks out competition. Their own lawyers helped write the standards in some fields, and compliance only means keep doing what they have always done.

Nonsense! Big companies hate regulation, that's why the politicians they buy write so few of them!

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007

There are likely a number of regulations regarding irons, the maximum temperature they reach, and safety cutoffs for things like electrical shorts within the device.

Have you bothered to check?

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
There are likely a number of regulations regarding irons, the maximum temperature they reach, and safety cutoffs for things like electrical shorts within the device.

Have you bothered to check?

Right over your head.....

Item 1) plugs into wall, uses electricity. Creates a hazard in which anyone who touches it for more than a fraction of a second may be permanently harmed.

Item 2) plugs into wall, uses electricity. Creates a hazard in which if you purposefully stick your finger into an area not available during general use you may feel a slight bit of discomfort, and perhaps even get a little bitty red mark on your finger.

Which item is safer? Which item is being banned?

Nanny state, bunch of idiots running the show. Wussification of the world.

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
Right over your head.....

Item 1) plugs into wall, uses electricity. Creates a hazard in which anyone who touches it for more than a fraction of a second may be permanently harmed.

Item 2) plugs into wall, uses electricity. Creates a hazard in which if you purposefully stick your finger into an area not available during general use you may feel a slight bit of discomfort, and perhaps even get a little bitty red mark on your finger.

Which item is safer? Which item is being banned?

The Mac Pro isn't being banned. Apple is choosing not to update its current Mac Pro stocks to adhere to regulations that came out quite some time ago.

That is worlds away from being banned.

Nanny state, bunch of idiots running the show. Wussification of the world.

:rolleyes:

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
The Mac Pro isn't being banned. Apple is choosing not to update its current Mac Pro stocks to adhere to regulations that came out quite some time ago.

:rolleyes:

Umm, they can't sell them without a redesign because of this STUPID nanny state rule.

That is a ban, pure and simple. I'm amazed that there people stupid enough to support this.

I strongly suggest you rent Brad Stine's "Put a helmet on" - you need it.

FluJunkie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2007
Umm, they can't sell them without a redesign because of this STUPID nanny state rule.

That is a ban, pure and simple. I'm amazed that there people stupid enough to support this.

I only take media recommendations with people who can express themselves with a modicum of respect.

JonBook Pro

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
I only take media recommendations with people who can express themselves with a modicum of respect.

I agree. Get over yourself, pprior.

Apple is in the wrong on this. They've had plenty of time to comply with regulations.

What a joke the Mac Pro has become.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Flujunkie - facts don't agree with you, eh? A ban is not being able sell a product. Well that's what is going on, hence you're wrong.

Jonbook - I don't disagree that the mac pro has become a joke. I'm with you 100%. But it's not a joke because the fans will allow you to touch them when running.

Anyone who honestly believes we need the gov't to keep us from being harmed by computer fans has grown up a girlie man, end of story.

girly-man-republican.jpg

slughead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
Flujunkie - facts don't agree with you, eh? A ban is not being able sell a product. Well that's what is going on, hence you're wrong.

Don't be ridiculous! Clearly it's Apple's fault the EU enacted idiotic legislation that requires Apple to pay 100's of thousands in retooling and new inventory! It's not a ban, it's just making it illegal to sell!

It's just like if I were to tell you to move your car because I'm going to park my dump truck in front of your house for no reason, you don't move it, and I slam into it--CLEARLY YOUR FAULT

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Flujunkie - facts don't agree with you, eh? A ban is not being able sell a product. Well that's what is going on, hence you're wrong....

Don't be ridiculous! Clearly it's Apple's fault the EU enacted idiotic legislation that requires Apple to pay 100's of thousands in retooling and new inventory! It's not a ban, it's just making it illegal to sell!

Actually, the EU is not telling Apple that they can't sell the Mac Pro. They are saying that Apple can't import more Mac Pros. Apple is free to sell whatever stock they have - and they were free to bring in more inventory prior to the deadline.

And no... this is not a "ban". EU has a standard in place. A company is free to meet that standard, or not participate in the market. Other companies have, presumably, decided to participate - with at least some of their models. Part of the issue is that Apple only makes one tower - so if they decide not to modify it it is very obvious. We don't how many models of Dell, for instance, were also withdrawn from the EU for precisely the same reason. But if Dell removed 2 or 3 or even 6 models from the EU - would we (on an Apple focussed forum) even notice.

----

All by itself - this news can be spun either positively or negatively. Regardless it means that this form factor of the Mac Pro is about done. Apple did not see any point in spending any money to get it recertified. (BTW - it may have only cost a couple of dollars to fix the issue, but the recertification process might be very expensive.)

This may mean that they are abandoning a Pro tower altogether... bad news, I think. Or it may mean that have a whole new form factor that is better than the old Mac Pro and that will blow our socks off.

Or it means they are about to release a Pro solution that meets nobody's needs, except that it looks phenomenal, and sucks wind.

That email from Tim Cook seems to indicate that we are looking at either the 2nd or 3rd option.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

I think you should consult the dictionary and educate yourself on the meaning of words such as "ban" before calling people "stupid". :rolleyes:

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
And they also smartly use things like legislation to hide behind ;) In the end it's all about making law work for you. If you can hide behind it then why not do so? You get to blame somebody else which moves the focus away. In this case very useful considering all the rumours of Apple dropping the entire Mac Pro line up.

Let's not forget that this regulation isn't something that came out of the blue. They've probably known it for months and thus have had enough time to address it but they choose not to. Why would they do that? For 2 obvious reasons: there is a new Mac Pro coming which they've been working on for months or they are dropping the entire Mac Pro line up.

This is simply politics and marketing for the advanced, has little to do with EU regulation. The regulation they are pointing at is merely a convenience.

If we talk about which part of the world is a nanny then things seem to depend on how you look at it (take a look at warning messages on various products in the USA and compare them to the ones in say the EU or Malaysia). Basically every government does some nannying and for the most part we civilians also expect them to do so. Doing any comparing is like tic tac toe...pointless.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
I think you should consult the dictionary and educate yourself on the meaning of words such as "ban" before calling people "stupid". :rolleyes:

Ok mr Smartie pants:

transitive verb
archaic : curse
: to prohibit especially by legal means <ban discrimination>; also : to prohibit the use, performance, or distribution of <ban a book> <ban a pesticide>
: bar 3c <banned from the U.N.>

What part of "prohibit by legal means the distribution of" does not apply here?

The EU is prohibiting the distribution of these products due to their sissy girl rules after a certain date. Yes, apple can change to meet their rules, but then it's not the same product, now is it? The BOTTOM LINE is the there is a LEGAL RESTRICTION on the mac pro as it currently exists, and that, Mr. Semantics, is a FREAKING BAN.

You now may return to your girly man life.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
They're effectively banning it - you can choose to sell them, but be prepared for the EU to slap you with a disproportionately large fine. They have to fund themselves somehow.

I presume they're also banning the sale of TVs? Since if I open my plasma TV, there are 4 fans with no grills on the inside (shock horror).

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

That's exactly a ban. Exactly.

The regulation disallows the importation of electronics with internal fans not having grills. That is a ban on importing electronics with internal fans not having grills.

Actually, the EU is not telling Apple that they can't sell the Mac Pro. They are saying that Apple can't import more Mac Pros. Apple is free to sell whatever stock they have - and they were free to bring in more inventory prior to the deadline.

It is not a ban on possession of a Mac Pro. It is not a ban on sale of a Mac Pro. But it is a ban on importation of a Mac Pro. A ban on importation is still a ban.

Whether or not it is a positive thing can be a matter of opinion, but this is definitely a ban.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
Whether or not it is a positive thing can be a matter of opinion, but this is definitely a ban.

It's not an opinion! If one mentally disabled computer repair tech is saved a moments discomfort, it's worth banning the Mac Pro in an entire continent!

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
That's exactly a ban. Exactly.

The regulation disallows the importation of electronics with internal fans not having grills. That is a ban on importing electronics with internal fans not having grills.

It is not a ban on possession of a Mac Pro. It is not a ban on sale of a Mac Pro. But it is a ban on importation of a Mac Pro. A ban on importation is still a ban.

It's ok, it's just one of the effects of too much estrogen in the water supply....

UGLY-FAG.jpg

Thank goodness the safety of the superficial epithelial layers of mac pro users everyone is finally being protected!!

Now, about those pesky car engines....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.