Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

childoftheko4n

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
So, I returned from my 6 month stay in Madrid, Spain. I'm back home in my beloved apartment (Amsterdam). I, therefore, purchased myself a new desk. A very nice teak oak table. Treated with some oil for good protection and it'll be good for years to come! Expensive but worth it ( I hope.. )

What do you see?

- 15" MacBook Pro Retina 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM , 512GB SSD.
- 27" Thunderbolt Display
- Hercules XPS101 Speakers
- Magic Trackpad & Apple Wireless Keyboard
- iPad Mini 32GB Wifi White
- iPhone 5 32Gb White
- Rain mStand
- Desk (160cm x 90 cm)

What you don't see?

- Airport Expresses
- Time Capsule 2TB

Pictures taken with the iPhone and with the iPad Mini.

View attachment 394213
View attachment 394214
Taken with the iPhone.

View attachment 394215
View attachment 394216
Taken with the iPad Mini.

Previously, I had this. (But I so do hated the constant cleaning of that damned glass)

View attachment 394217

I have to ask, where is this desk from?!

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
My last update, no big news :apple:

Attachments

• DSC_0174.jpg
    DSC_0174.jpg
    932 KB · Views: 979

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Is it pretty sturdy? I've considered getting the Galant originally, but if this setup is pretty durable, I'll take it. :)

When I first put it together I was a little skeptical whether or not it would be sturdy enough. But after I put everything on it, the weight made it a lot more sturdy. I would love to be able to find a SOLID wood black tabletop of the same dimensions, but I cant fine one anywhere. I would use the same legs.

This does the job though.

P.S. If anyone thinks they know where I could get a solid black tabletop with custom dimensions, let me know...

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
When I first put it together I was a little skeptical whether or not it would be sturdy enough. But after I put everything on it, the weight made it a lot more sturdy. I would love to be able to find a SOLID wood black tabletop of the same dimensions, but I cant fine one anywhere. I would use the same legs.

This does the job though.

P.S. If anyone thinks they know where I could get a solid black tabletop with custom dimensions, let me know...
Have you considered one of IKEA's solid pine wood table tops? They seem pretty nice. I'm sure you'll be able to saw & sand it to your liking. ;)

I see desks that I like and ask, where can one get one? This looks really nice and warm.

TFIVEM

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2011
Was tired of not being able to use my entire ikea desk as a full workspace after installing it our closet. As an alternative, I built a custom floating desk and storage shelf last night. Walls are chalkboard for doodles and notes.

imagevgj.jpg

taken with an abused 4S​

Whats here:
  • Built Mac Pro
  • Dual 23" HD Apple Cinema Displays
  • Cintiq 21UX (slides off wall on left)
  • 2011 Macbook Pro
  • Rain Design M Stand
  • K800 Backlit Keyboard
  • MX revolution... on the left :)

contemplating adding a 20" ACD on the right wall mounted, to be used with a 360, or just add a DVI multi switch to one of the 23".

herzleid

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Barcelona (Spain)
Was tired of not being able to use my entire ikea desk as a full workspace after installing it our closet. As an alternative, I built a custom floating desk and storage shelf last night. Walls are chalkboard for doodles and notes.

taken with an abused 4S​

Whats here:
  • Built Mac Pro
  • 2011 Macbook Pro
  • Rain Design M Stand
  • K800 Backlit Keyboard

contemplating adding a 20" ACD on the right wall mounted, to be used with a 360, or just add a DVI multi switch to one of the 23".

Wow! Spectacular!!! :eek:

Gonephishin77

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
After being a long time lurker to this website after seeing that beautiful closet display I have to post that is Exactly what I'm looking to do as Far as beauty and simplicity that I would like to achieve thanks for sharing actually gorgeous Set up.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012

taken with an abused 4S​

Whats here:
  • Built Mac Pro
  • 2011 Macbook Pro
  • Rain Design M Stand
  • K800 Backlit Keyboard

why did you want your work desk in your closet?

TFIVEM

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2011
Wow! Spectacular!!! :eek:

Thanks!

After being a long time lurker to this website after seeing that beautiful closet display I have to post that is Exactly what I'm looking to do as Far as beauty and simplicity that I would like to achieve thanks for sharing actually gorgeous Set up.

Thats really kind of you to say, Thank you!

why did you want your work desk in your closet?

It wasn't necessarily my desired desk location, but my setup took up a good majority of the basement, which in return really impacted our media room when we had people over. This keeps all of my work out of sight, which can be refreshing to turn things off. It was just a compromise that i tried to make the best of. So far, Im happy with it.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors

taken with an abused 4S​

Whats here:
  • Built Mac Pro
  • 2011 Macbook Pro
  • Rain Design M Stand
  • K800 Backlit Keyboard

looks factory bought. fantastic work. looks great.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri

-snip-

Whats here:
  • Built Mac Pro
  • 2011 Macbook Pro
  • Rain Design M Stand
  • K800 Backlit Keyboard

That looks fantastic!

My wife is claustrophobic, so she would hate it, but I would LOVE a setup like that. I have a decent sized home office and I love it, but I kind of like the minimalist setups as well! :p

I do a lot of digital photo post processing and a setup like that (no windows, easy to make lighting accurate) would be perfect. I'd probably install a track of lights directly above the desk using daylight-temp bulbs, close the door, no windows; it'd be perfect!

I have a big walk-in closet, but my wife would KILL me if I turned it into a workstation/office. Where would she fit all of her shoes, after all! The other issue, for me anyway, is the local fire codes don't allow outlets in closets, even a walk in. In fact, the light switch for the closet can't even be IN the closet (it's just outside the closet by the door), all you can have is a small light fixture. So I'd need to find some way to attractively run an extension cord of some sort...

Warhawk15

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
Just got my new Asus 24inch full hd led monitor! :)
Also got the apple keyboard and the bookarc.
Included is my black deathadder mouse, 2012 macbook pro, and my alessandro ms1 headphones...still need to buy speakers.

And yes, I'm using it on a dresser, it sucks!
Can't wait till I get a good desk, probably from Ikea.

Attachments

• DSCF3004.JPG
    DSCF3004.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 210
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.