Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanogirl21

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2011
Midwest United States
Do you guys think it’s necessary to have an IPHONE IPAD AND IPOD? At one point in time I did have both. However, I noticed that I always defaulted back to the iPhone for everything. The iPad was great for games and was lovely for searching the web when I had internet connection. Unfortunately, 80% of the time I did not have an internet connection so I couldn’t take advantage of this feature. As far as the iPod. I have had the nano and I always lose it, find it, and lose it again. I have had both iPod touch and iPod nanos. Since I would lose it many of times I just started putting select playlist on my phone. The only time I really listened to the iPod was when I was in the car and when I was in the gym. I noticed a very short drop (3%-ish) in battery life since I put music on my phone.

Right now I have an 16GB iPhone and I have around 3GB worth of free space. I have 170 songs and 181 applications on it. My actual itunes library has just over 5,000 songs. I am getting a new phone soon. Do you guys think the 32GB or 64GB would fit my needs best? Since I personally don’t think it’s necessary to have an IPHONE IPAD AND IPOD or any combination of the three. I am curious to hear that you guys have to say on the topic.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I see no point in an iPhone and iPod, but I can see the use for an iPad and iPhone/iPod.

An iPod is basically a nerfed iPhone, so there's no benefit to having both!

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I see no point in an iPhone and iPod, but I can see the use for an iPad and iPhone/iPod.

Some people don't like to go jogging with their iPhone.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

I have no problem taking mine out, I have an armband. Fair play to them though!

If the only reason somebody buys an iPod as well as an iPhone is for jogging though, it would surely make more sense to get a shuffle due to its' portability :p

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I have no problem taking mine out, I have an armband. Fair play to them though!

If the only reason somebody buys an iPod as well as an iPhone is for jogging though, it would surely make more sense to get a shuffle due to its' portability :p

Right, I only have a Shuffle, since my Nano 3rd Gen died, and I pretty much only use it for jogging.

I've never liked the armbands much, it always felt like I was getting my blood pressure taken at the doctor's office while wearing one.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California

This. I have a nano because I couldn't be bothered with my iphone at the gym.

iPads (or other tablets) are a great alternative to textbooks, for students like myself. It's much more convenient to have ebooks/pdfs stored instead lugging the weight around. I'm planning to make this purchase soon.

Last edited:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i first bought an 80 GB ipod classic years ago that i obviously used for music. then, 2 years or so ago, i got an ipod touch 4 64 GB as my first real apple product to replace my old classic. i liked it so much, i ended up deciding to get an iphone 4 used to replace my blackberry. i have since got an iphone 5 to replace that. i also liked the abilities to browse forums and keep my documents handy in icloud, to a sprung for an ipad mini.

the way i see it, i use my touch and classic as strictly music devices. my iphone i use primarily for messaging, phone calls and emails. my ipad sort of replaced my netbook for browsing in bed, watching amazon prime videos, spreadsheets for doing my bills, keeping my calendars in order and other work. each one has its own purpose yet they could all do them if needed and it helps me keep organized by syncing together.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Right, I only have a Shuffle, since my Nano 3rd Gen died, and I pretty much only use it for jogging.

I've never liked the armbands much, it always felt like I was getting my blood pressure taken at the doctor's office while wearing one.

I know what you mean, it makes my arm ache sometimes and I have to loosen it :(

Interestingly enough, the arm band I bought for my Galaxy S3 fits my iPhone with case PERFECTLY. It's like it was made for it :D

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I have an iphone because I need it, being the only phone I have now.

An iPod classic because it has a huge hard disk and I have a huge collection of music and audiobooks and the iPod mostly stays in my car, and it is relatively cheap compared with phone and iPad and I couldn't fit all my music and audiobooks on them anyway.

I have iPads because the phone screen is too small for all the things I do on iPads ... And I only use the phone for more than calls, messages, mail when I'm out with only that.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I currently have an iPhone 5 and iPad mini. I could see having an iPod for the sake of jogging. I'm actually purchasing a new car in the coming months and thinking about getting an iPod just to load music on and keep plugged into the car audio system. Although, I don't see the point in having an iPod to use other than those two reasons.

And you mentioned going to a larger capacity iPhone, I'm in the same situation. I have about 3.2GB or so left on my iPhone and I believe when the iPhone 5S or whatever it'll be called is released, I'm probably gonna jump up to the 32GB.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
There's absolutely no point in someone owning an iPod touch with an iPhone. iPod nanos are still useful for the gym though and the classic because of its storage.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
iPhone & iPad combo is great. Dont see the use in owning iPod touch and iPhone though.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Unfortunately, 80% of the time I did not have an internet connection so I couldn’t take advantage of this feature.

Ur iPad prob can be solved by getting one with cellular capability, but then that will be another $50/mo(?)

As for an iPod, the other fellas already mentioned.

Since getting an iPhone, my iPod just sits there. It was my intention from day#1 to unify the 2 devices so when it happened, objective achieved. If my old iPod can be WIFI-Sync, maybe I'd leave it permanently hooked up in car.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Do you guys think it’s necessary to have an IPHONE IPAD AND IPOD?
Highly subjective matter. They all serve different functions for me. If you don't think its necessary then don't own all three. You have to do what works for you. Polling others with differing needs/wants won't provide you with relevant opinions.

Sure there is. My iPods live in my car and attached to stereo systems in the home. I don't have to deal with connecting and disconnecting my iPhone every time I want to listen to music in those places.

"I don't see any benefit" != "There is no benefit"

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I currently have an iPhone 5 and iPad mini. I could see having an iPod for the sake of jogging. I'm actually purchasing a new car in the coming months and thinking about getting an iPod just to load music on and keep plugged into the car audio system.

Bluetooth audio is quickly making this unnecessary in cars. Make sure your car can't play audio over bluetooth before you go through the expense of buying an extra iPod.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I have an ipad and iphone. I don't even use my laptop anymore. it stays connected tie the tv via hdmi for movie viewing

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
If you have a laptop I don't even think anything else is necessary except an iphone.

I have a RMBP15 and its sufficient enough for in bed, on the couch and in the toilet. Larger screen, better multitasking, better apps makes it a more productive machine than a tablet. I am only missing a tablet for the times I am on the road and I need to carry my laptop for longer periods.

The iphone is a device that you ALWAYS have with you and so its a no brainer. Therefore an iphone with a larger display (4.7-5") would be optimum.

dnelms

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
McGee's Crossroads, NC

Maybe an Touch iPod is a duplicate, but my 80gb Classic that plugs into my car and plays thru the head unit, means I can get by with the 16gb iPhone. In turn, I use Spotify and Pandora to stream thru the bluetooth connection in my car. Each to his/her own, but I have the 80GB Classic, a iPad original and an iPhone 5. Each has it's purpose for me.

Last edited:

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I have an iPhone, iPad and iPod Nano.

iPhone, with me all the time, I don't store any music on it so its basically used for its primary function.

iPod Nano 5G, used for running/gym and hooked up to stereo at home and in car.

iPad, has taken centre stage when it comes to media consumption (used to be my mbp) internet, youtube etc oh and I love gaming on it!

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Do you guys think it’s necessary to have an IPHONE IPAD AND IPOD? At one point in time I did have both. However, I noticed that I always defaulted back to the iPhone for everything. The iPad was great for games and was lovely for searching the web when I had internet connection. Unfortunately, 80% of the time I did not have an internet connection so I couldn’t take advantage of this feature. As far as the iPod. I have had the nano and I always lose it, find it, and lose it again. I have had both iPod touch and iPod nanos. Since I would lose it many of times I just started putting select playlist on my phone. The only time I really listened to the iPod was when I was in the car and when I was in the gym. I noticed a very short drop (3%-ish) in battery life since I put music on my phone.

Right now I have an 16GB iPhone and I have around 3GB worth of free space. I have 170 songs and 181 applications on it. My actual itunes library has just over 5,000 songs. I am getting a new phone soon. Do you guys think the 32GB or 64GB would fit my needs best? Since I personally don’t think it’s necessary to have an IPHONE IPAD AND IPOD or any combination of the three. I am curious to hear that you guys have to say on the topic.

Yes it is. I use my phone as a phone and for apps, my ipod touch is almost 20Gs full of music so my 32G ipod touch is just for music. And I have an ipad as a laptop i can take with me, plus its more fun to play games or surf the web when im not at my computer on a bigger screen. I do have a mac pro as well.

I wouldnt want to waste all my phone space with music, plus if you are using it a lot for music, you will kill the battery wehn it comes time to use it as a phone or for apps.

tradis

Suspended
Jan 31, 2013
Santa Ana, CA
Once I got my iPhone, I stopped using my iPod, but my iPad hasn't gone so far as to replace my iPhone. So I think all three is too much, but the two are just right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.