Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Is the ipad 4 any good for taking on holiday/travelling? I know the mini is lighter but the compromise is a smaller screen.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've taken my iPad 1 traveling (along with my MBP) and it was fine. I think the mini is better suited for traveling since its smaller but that doesn't mean the regular sized iPad is poor at traveling

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I love iPad for travelling ... Just that in a slim and light STM shoulder bag with a credit card and some cash when I'm in cities and it is excellent for GPS in my car on a hoverbar. Anyone who finds that heavy to carry is in urgent need of a gym subscription!

If I want to travel lighter I just take the iPhone. But I prefer to read, in cafes etc, on the ipad4. I could not now trade the minor weight difference of iPad mini for non-retina screen ... Not for text-based things anyway.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I see people on their minis on the train. Do people do that on their full sized iPads?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I see people on their minis on the train. Do people do that on their full sized iPads?

I've seen people, though its more of an exception. I see more folks with a 7" tablet (kindle fire, mini, nook etc)

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I've seen people, though its more of an exception. I see more folks with a 7" tablet (kindle fire, mini, nook etc)

So I'm curious where do people use their minis vs their full iPads?

I've heard of people using their full iPads in outdoor work.

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
ipad goes everywhere

On short trips I often take only my iPad 3. It went to Europe twice and worked fantastically on local wifi. Recently I traveled stateside for a month and took both the ipad and my Macbook Pro; the Pro stayed on a desktop and the ipad went everywhere else (including the living room of the place where I stayed). I also take a bluetooth keyboard if I'm going to type docs.

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
Admittedly I don't travel much, but my wife used her iPad 2 on flights to Phoenix and back to Wisconsin for movies, reading and music. While we were flying and while we were there I saw several people with full size iPads and a few minis (this was in November so there weren't a ton of Minis out yet). Of course there were also a few android tablets and kindle fires etc.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
I have an iPad 3 that I use exclusively for travel. It is fantastic for reading on flights and watching movies as well. My wife uses it when I'm not traveling and I am using my macbook pro. I see people with iPad's on the train in Boston everyday. I personally use my iPhone 5 to read on the train instead because I only have to go 4 stops but if my commute was longer I would absolutely use my iPad commuting.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Any iPad (1-4 or Mini) are great for travel. I get a smart cover or stand case and use it propped up in an airplane. The only issue when flying is the overhead lights if they don't shut them off generally there is bad glare on the screen and I have to turn up the brightness.

I find myself using my MacBook Pro only on the table at the hotel and I use my iPad when lounging around and take it with me during the day.

I really think this is what makes the iPad so popular is its excellent portability!

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

You do realize that the iPad has been out for nearly three years and the Mini is a relatively new product? So, yes, people all over the world have been using their "full-size" iPads on trains, planes and wherever since they were introduced. Hell, people use their notebooks on trains so why would it be surprising that a hand-holdable, portable device is used everywhere?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.