Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristenanne77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
QUESTION 1::confused:
I have a minimac and two laptops. if I buy Logic pro 9 for $199 , would I be able to install on all three macs? I could not find any information on this at the online apple store:apple:.

QUESTION 2::confused:
I have already bought/downloaded Mainstage (which comes with ALL the gigs of loops for Garageband) for 30 bucks, which is a DEAL SUPREME:D, but I have all these loops only on the minimac.
Is there a way to put the loops on the laptops also?

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
Logic Studio license agreement wrote:
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on one Apple-branded desktop computer and one Apple-branded laptop computer so long as both computers are owned and used by you. You may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original.

kristenanne77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Thanks.
That helps with one of my laptops at least:(. (my other is a backup but i like to keep them both as near identical as possible).

In the part of the agreement where it says it says (i don't know how to use the fancy quote boxes):
<<<You may make one copy of the Apple Software in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original.>>>

:confused:How would I make a hard disk backup of the downloaded software which includes all of the copyright info and other stuff (I REALLY believe in hard disk backup copies!)

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
FWIW, i made DMG backups of all my dvd's - for two reasons.

1. so i have backups.
2. so if i have to re-install, it doesnt take all day. installing from the dvd's takes forever.

Another way to look at it - it's $200 for legit copy of this software now. I bought v5, the upgrade to 6, then to 7, and finally the upgrade to 9. Getting another free-and-clear copy for $200 is the bargain of the century.

kristenanne77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
So then all I would have to do is save the dmg file to a backup hard drive or some type of storage media? Thats it?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on one Apple-branded desktop computer and one Apple-branded laptop computer

Where did you get that license agreement? It soulds like the license from the old version of Logic, not the $200 app store version. AFAIK, you can install the app store version on every mac that you own - see the help menu in the app store

Use applications on multiple Macs

After you purchase an application, you can install it free of charge on every Mac you own. There are several techniques you can use.

Install a purchased application on another Mac

On the other Mac, find the application in App Store, click Buy or Free, and then provide the Apple ID you used to purchase the application.

Copy the application from one Mac to another Mac. When you open the copied application on the other Mac, enter the Apple ID used to purchase it.

Open App Store on the other Mac, and then log in using the Apple ID used to make the purchase.

Click Purchases in the toolbar to list applications purchased. Any application that has an INSTALL option was purchased using the Apple ID, but not installed on the Mac you’re using. Click INSTALL to download and install the application.

kristenanne77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Thanks for the info:)

Will get it this week.

The only thing I hate is ....... the learning curve:(!!!!!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Yeah, the app store is very different from software that you purchase on disk. The upside is that the apps are tied to your iTunes account and can be used on all your computers.

The downside is that you don't really "own" the software; you could sell your disk-based software to someone else if you no longer use it. Can't do that with the app store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.