Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:38 PM   #1
philipandrews
macrumors member

iMessage only shows peoples numbers not names

I recently got the iPhone 4S synced it got everything moved over and now whenever I iMessage someone who I have stored in my contact list, it uses their number not their name. And the number is not how I have it inputed into my contact list either. It is like +1 (804) 555 3444. I am sure other people are having this issue. Hopefully someone has a solution. Thanks.
philipandrews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:21 PM   #2
bobafetts3
macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue.

Seems to be just with the iMessage contacts. I was planning on doing a full format when I make it home tonight to see if that fixes the issue or not.
bobafetts3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:43 PM   #3
DollaTwentyFive
macrumors Demi-God

Check the very bottom of your contact list. I was having this issue as well and it turned out that some of my contacts were stored twice. Once with their name - the proper way. The second time at the bottom of my contact list with just their number. As a result, it was showing up in iMessage as just the phone number. Maybe this is what's happening to you too?
DollaTwentyFive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 08:24 PM   #4
Ben52646
macrumors newbie

Here is the fix!!!

Okay, here is how you fix this problem:

STEP 1. First you have to dial *228 on your iPhone 4S. You should note that *228 is a Verizon over-the-air programming number.

STEP 2. Wait for sometime until the system responds, then you have to press “1″ to “Program or activate your phone”.

STEP 3. After sometime the system will say, “Settings updated”. Then you have to wait until the call disconnects.

STEP 4. Now double click the Home Button of your iPhone 4S to open the Task Manager.

STEP 5. Now close Phone, Message, and Contacts Applications on your iPhone 4S.

STEP 6. After waiting for five minutes, open the Message App on your iPhone 4S to check the fix.

That’s it. In this way you can fix iOS 5.0.1 contact bug on your iPhone 4S. If you are not able to fix this issue after using the above steps then again you have to close the Message App and restart your iPhone 4S. It is expected that soon Apple will release iOS 5.0.2 to fix this issue.
Ben52646 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:26 AM   #5
ronbuckles
macrumors newbie

Found a solution

My 4s started doing this last week on a trip to NYC. I had added contacts from a map lookup that include the "+ 1" plus area code and number. None of my other contacts had included the "+1". It seems as soon as I did that, it made all the rest of the contact numbers not usable. I removed all the new "+1" telephone numbers and turned off all apps and did the *228 option 1 reboot like above and everything went back to normal. Good luck folks...

Last edited by ronbuckles; Feb 8, 2012 at 09:43 AM.
ronbuckles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Courtney2903
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollaTwentyFive View Post
Check the very bottom of your contact list. I was having this issue as well and it turned out that some of my contacts were stored twice. Once with their name - the proper way. The second time at the bottom of my contact list with just their number. As a result, it was showing up in iMessage as just the phone number. Maybe this is what's happening to you too?
Absolutely awesome! Thanks heaps. I had been searching everywhere for a solution and this finally fixed it!!! Genius!
Courtney2903 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:26 AM   #7
DollaTwentyFive
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney2903 View Post
Absolutely awesome! Thanks heaps. I had been searching everywhere for a solution and this finally fixed it!!! Genius!
Glad to help - a year later
DollaTwentyFive is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier