Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:00 PM   #1
michaelfields
macrumors regular

No sleep button feedback Power Support iPhone 5 bumper

I just got my bumper in and I've put two tabs in the spot above the button (in the case), one in the corner spot, and two on the button itself and I can't get the sleep button to work.

I've also tried adding tape onto it and still nothing.

I'm not really sure what the problem is.
michaelfields is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:25 PM   #2
jraneses
macrumors newbie

I have the same problem on mine that I ordered a couple weeks ago. Considering trying a replacement to see if it has the same issue, but it'll be difficult as it was imported.
jraneses is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:17 PM   #3
chrscap
macrumors regular

Try the case with no stickers, it works fine for me and easy to press. Note that if you add too many stickers (even 1), your button will be pressed and held down while the bumper is on. Each bumper is different.
chrscap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:36 PM   #4
jraneses
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrscap View Post
Try the case with no stickers, it works fine for me and easy to press. Note that if you add too many stickers (even 1), your button will be pressed and held down while the bumper is on. Each bumper is different.
It doesn't work without stickers, or with any combination of the stickers provided. I'm sure it's an alignment issue, but repeatedly taking the bumper on and off the phone to troubleshoot it is a pain, not to mention marring the phone and loosening the fit of the bumper in the process.
jraneses is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:22 PM   #5
chrscap
macrumors regular

I would contact seller and hope for a replacement if it doesn't work at all. Power Support including stickers indicates mistakes in build. Sucks but I got lucky, didn't need sticker and actually feel a click on power button like the volume buttons.
chrscap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Batman89
macrumors regular

It's a design issue. Just the way it is.
Batman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:34 PM   #7
michaelfields
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman89 View Post
Now I get why they aren't selling them in the US. As of right now this bumper seems to be a waste to me. I'm not even using it because if I do I can't use my sleep button unless I pack in so much tape that it makes the bumper bow out when it's on.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:50 PM   #8
Radiating
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfields View Post
I just got my bumper in and I've put two tabs in the spot above the button (in the case), one in the corner spot, and two on the button itself and I can't get the sleep button to work.

I've also tried adding tape onto it and still nothing.

I'm not really sure what the problem is.
Don't put any on the sides, just keep stacking it on the sleep button until it works. Mine took FOUR spacers on the sleep button before it worked perfectly.
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:08 PM   #9
Grayburn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman89 View Post
Mine isn't like that, it works fine with one of those little stickers put exactly where instructed to.
Grayburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:26 AM   #10
iEnvy
macrumors 6502a

Pics? If you don't want it, I can make you an offer.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:54 AM   #11
lunarken
macrumors regular

im trying to sell this bumper in singapore and no buyers..
lunarken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:57 PM   #12
pocketdoc
macrumors 6502a

What works for me is to put the stickers on the actual button, not on the inside of the case.

Take the case off. There should be a little circular protrusion on the square that sits above the power button. If that is not there, you may need to add more stickers to the button.

Cut the clear stickers in tiny rectangles (the size of the button - doesnt have to be exact, just not too big) and put them on top of the power button. It took 2 for me.

When I put them inside the case, it did not work as well.

I think the problem is that the button on the iPhone 5 has a very low profile. I did not have any problems with the same case for the 4.
pocketdoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:24 AM   #13
michaelfields
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketdoc View Post
What works for me is to put the stickers on the actual button, not on the inside of the case.

Take the case off. There should be a little circular protrusion on the square that sits above the power button. If that is not there, you may need to add more stickers to the button.

Cut the clear stickers in tiny rectangles (the size of the button - doesnt have to be exact, just not too big) and put them on top of the power button. It took 2 for me.

When I put them inside the case, it did not work as well.

I think the problem is that the button on the iPhone 5 has a very low profile. I did not have any problems with the same case for the 4.
That was what I tried first after seeing it on here. Two cut in half, stacked on the button. Didn't work. Nothing worked except so much tape it bowed the case.

Also, took the tape off and it pulled the tabs off with it so those are gone. I'm going to try picking up some light adhesive tabs and cutting them to size and see if it works.

Even if it does I probably won't keep this bumper.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEnvy View Post
Pics? If you don't want it, I can make you an offer.
I'm gonna try what I said above and if that works I'll see how I feel about it after a day or two. I really don't think I like it though. I'd be open to an offer.

I have the Mime HDT-C on the screen now so I'm not worried about anything besides more of the side peeling/chipping (my first iP5 had marks all over the side from literally nothing). I may just go with a matte back/side skin.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:01 AM   #14
iEnvy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfields View Post
I'm gonna try what I said above and if that works I'll see how I feel about it after a day or two. I really don't think I like it though. I'd be open to an offer.
I actually hope it ends up working for you. Its a nice(expensive) case and I can understand the frustration of it not working out.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:40 PM   #15
michaelfields
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEnvy View Post
I actually hope it ends up working for you. Its a nice(expensive) case and I can understand the frustration of it not working out.
I appreciate that. My main thing that's making me think I won't keep it either way though is I just don't think I like adding anything to this phone that changes the look. I got the black bumper because it looks just like the phone but I still love the way the phone looks without it more.

We'll see though.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories