Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:00 PM   #1
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

1.73GB of "Other" in iPhone 4S?

Hello everyone. I have been trying to clean up my iPhone 4S and decrease the amount of unnecessary apps and information on there. I have deleted or removed all the kids' apps, all the photos, all music...etc. What would be taking up 1.73GB of space that I can't seem to locate?

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:15 PM   #2
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Hello everyone. I have been trying to clean up my iPhone 4S and decrease the amount of unnecessary apps and information on there. I have deleted or removed all the kids' apps, all the photos, all music...etc. What would be taking up 1.73GB of space that I can't seem to locate?
iOS itself, for starters:

Quote:
The storage media in your Apple product, like all storage devices, uses some of its capacity for formatting, so actual capacity available for applications and files will be less. In addition, other factors, such as pre-installed systems or other software and media, will also use part of the available storage capacity.
Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2419

Also, pictures and/or videos contained in Messages.app conversations, regardless of whether or not they've been deleted. I'm sure there are other things that contribute to this 'Other' category but that's a start.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:19 PM   #3
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
iOS itself, for starters:

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2419

Also, pictures and/or videos contained in Messages.app conversations, regardless of whether or not they've been deleted. I'm sure there are other things that contribute to this 'Other' category but that's a start.
I didn't even consider that the bar would reflect the storage space used for the OS. And the pictures in messages is another thing that I didn't consider. Thanks for responding!

Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:12 PM   #4
C DM
macrumors G5

You could given PhoneClean a try to see if helps free up any more space: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7...ur-ios-device/.

Also, it looks like as of iOS 6.1 Apple might have finally resolved the issue with storing images from the Messages app.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:37 PM   #5
ajiphone
macrumors newbie

It's normal.

In a nutshell, it's programs necessary for the iphone to run.

Last edited by ajiphone; Feb 1, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
ajiphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:30 PM   #6
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiphone View Post
In a nutshell, it's programs necessary for the iphone to run.
Is that stuff really all necessary? Could any of it (at least some, if not most) simply be some temp/cache stuff that might not actually be needed perhaps?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:31 AM   #7
cheesyappleuser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Is that stuff really all necessary? Could any of it (at least some, if not most) simply be some temp/cache stuff that might not actually be needed perhaps?
Not really. The OS doesn't appear there, you can see that the available space usually gets lower once you update the OS. That's where the OS space is discounted.

I have no idea of what "Other" might be, but you should restore your phone if you want it fixed.
cheesyappleuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:13 PM   #8
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroCst View Post
Not really. The OS doesn't appear there, you can see that the available space usually gets lower once you update the OS. That's where the OS space is discounted.

I have no idea of what "Other" might be, but you should restore your phone if you want it fixed.
Well it does seem like there's at least some space (sometimes a bit and other times quite a lot) that is being used for temp/cache/etc. type of things that can be freed up using an app like the one mentioned earlier.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:52 PM   #9
cheesyappleuser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Well it does seem like there's at least some space (sometimes a bit and other times quite a lot) that is being used for temp/cache/etc. type of things that can be freed up using an app like the one mentioned earlier.
The best option is to reset it. It does take a while, and the best way to get the maximum results is by backing up everything through iFunbox, which takes quite a while. Don't forget to backup using iTunes however, just to prevent anything you might not be able to backup otherwise.
I'm going to do it because of a problem I had (SAM unlock tickets), so you're not alone
cheesyappleuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:45 PM   #10
King Luis
macrumors 6502

what apps do you have installed? there are some that take up 500mb. example is this week's free game. the space shooter game. you might not think a app can take a lot of space but they can. some apps will go online to get everything, others will have everything built in the app and will take up the space. hook up your phone to itunes, go to the app screen and sort by size, you'll see it add up. the rest will be emails and ios its self.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 01:34 PM   #11
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
"kkkkkkkk ....ok" - iphone4s16gb
r2shyyou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:42 PM   #12
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
what apps do you have installed? there are some that take up 500mb. example is this week's free game. the space shooter game. you might not think a app can take a lot of space but they can. some apps will go online to get everything, others will have everything built in the app and will take up the space. hook up your phone to itunes, go to the app screen and sort by size, you'll see it add up. the rest will be emails and ios its self.
I checked the app sizes and that is something I checked before realizing that the size of the app most likely wouldn't be reflected in the "other" category. I know caches and other data can be, I just couldn't seem to locate it.

Instead of resetting the phone though, I re-synced certain apps and made sure to limit the amount of apps that require excess information to be stored on the device.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
Because when someone explicitly asks about the 'Other' category on their phone that's taking up space, it's not uncommon for others to respond with something unrelated, such as 'Apps'.
I'm pretty sure that question is just the signature line and not intended to be a response to this particular thread.

Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:50 PM   #13
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
I/m pretty sure that question is just the signature line and not intended to be a response to this particular thread.
I'm more than "pretty sure" about that, actually. But oh the irony of it...

Anyway, if you want to ensure that your 'Other' data is as small as it can reasonably be, the only way is to restore your phone as new.

Before I restored my phone as new about a week ago, I had over 6GB of 'Other' data (yes, you read that right: 6GB). Now I have just under 1GB.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting