Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
What is the difference between those two? Both in the store have the same price, but the seller could not tell if there are some differences

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
I was wondering the same thing...other than connections no difference at all? thx

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
The thunderbolt one supports thunderbolt devices in pass thru (means plugging a thunderbolt hard disk in the back of the screen for example).

The display port version does not support this.

both plug into the same port on your mac (Thunderbolt is same as Displayport for screens etc - hence why older DP to DVI adaptors etc work find in modern thunderbolt equipped macs - like mine :) )

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
What is the difference between those two? Both in the store have the same price, but the seller could not tell if there are some differences

The Thunderbolt display has Gigabit Ethernet, FireWire and USB 2. The Cinema Display has only USB 2.

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
the only reason to get a led cinema instead of a TB display now is because your mac is 2010 or earlier and doesn't have the thunderbolt port.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Tell that to Apple. Apple Care is only for 3 years. ;)

In 4-5 years you can see technology like FW, Display Port, USB2 or TB come...and go. :eek:

firmansolutions

macrumors member
May 31, 2010
go for the Thunderbolt

Its great being able to leave your external / backup drives connected via Firewire to your display. This means you just connect power and the Thunderbolt cable to your Macbook and Time Machines and / or CCC will kick in automatically. Doesnt matter if your Macbook is only Mini display.

Simon Jamez

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Liverpool - England
Thunderbolt Display - Serial Number

Hi Everyone. I took my ThunderBolt Display back to the apple store after one month as there where Pixel anomalies on the screen. They said the only way to repair it would be to fit a new LCD Panel.

So i got my Display back this morning but when I go into System Report under ThunderBolt Display the serial number is different from the one displayed before i sent it into Apple.

Could this be because the serial number is built into the LCD panel?. I thought the serial Number is usually stored on some kind of PCB OR Logic Board inside the display?

Does anyone have any ideas why the serial Number might have changed. I hope its the same one i sent in as when it came back to me there where chip's/small chunks scraped into the Aluminium base stand as if they had used a workbench clamp and its been to tight :-(

The serial number under the base stand is the previous one so it look like it is my stand.

Thanks Guys for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.