Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeeyung76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
I am trying to get a dualshock sixaxis ps3 controller to work on my imac running osx10.8.2. unfortunately, all the instructions i've found require you to "turn bluetooth off" as one of the final steps. however, my mac won't let me do that, presumably because if i turn my devices off, my mouse and keyboard won't work, and i won't be able to turn bluetooth back on. does anyone know any workarounds for this? PLEASE AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
I am trying to get a dualshock sixaxis ps3 controller to work on my imac running osx10.8.2. unfortunately, all the instructions i've found require you to "turn bluetooth off" as one of the final steps. however, my mac won't let me do that, presumably because if i turn my devices off, my mouse and keyboard won't work, and i won't be able to turn bluetooth back on. does anyone know any workarounds for this? PLEASE AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

is this controller compatible with ps3? I mean..isn't this the original ps3 controller that you're talking about right? You should get 3rd party controller because ps3 is for PS3.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
is this controller compatible with ps3? I mean..isn't this the original ps3 controller that you're talking about right? You should get 3rd party controller because ps3 is for PS3.
Wrong. Under Windows, you may use it to play games. It works out of the box but some games don't support it so you use Motioninjoy to emulate it as a 360 controller. The 360 controller is for 360 but it works on PC as well. I really don't get your point. It's not 1997 anymore.

As for the question by the OP, I'm sorry but I can't help you. All the games I played on OSX were playable with a mouse and keyboard so never had to use my Dual Shock :/

jeeyung76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
cool, thanks. there are multiple threads (on macrumors, youtube, etc. and elsewhere on how to make this work on other macs - air, macbookpro, mac mini) so was hoping there was a solution for an imac, but thanks anyway.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
cool, thanks. there are multiple threads (on macrumors, youtube, etc. and elsewhere on how to make this work on other macs - air, macbookpro, mac mini) so was hoping there was a solution for an imac, but thanks anyway.
If there are threads to make it work on all those machines, the same procedures will most probably work for an iMac as well. We are talking about software and the OS is the same on any Mac. Just make sure you search for fixes that were made for, at least, Snow Leopard (Lion/Mountain Lion would be, obviously, better).

jeeyung76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
the problem is just the step that requires turning bluetooth off. since both my keyboard and mouse are bluetooth, the computer won't let me take that step.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Can't you just borrow a wired mouse and keyboard? I think that any one will do, it doesn't have to be from Apple (I think).

And, can't you use the controller connected through USB?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.