Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:53 PM   #51
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Is it really inconvenient? One day out of the year to go to a building and vote. I consider putting gas into my car to be more inconvenient and I do that at least once a week.
Yeah I think it's pretty inconvenient. The only reason I voted this year and in previous years is because I can mail in absentee ballots.

Really it's a completely inefficient method of doing things. We make all these people go out, drive to, wait in line, etc. when we could just come up with a system where people spend 5 minutes filling out a ballot and mailing it in.
eric/ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:57 PM   #52
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Yeah I think it's pretty inconvenient. The only reason I voted this year and in previous years is because I can mail in absentee ballots.

Really it's a completely inefficient method of doing things. We make all these people go out, drive to, wait in line, etc. when we could just come up with a system where people spend 5 minutes filling out a ballot and mailing it in.
My mailman has a hard enough time getting me my mail, how can I trust him with my ballot. Sure there should be a better way but what is the safest most accurate way to vote. I like the election day voting because if you are undecided on who to pick why should you be making that decision a month a head of time. Who knows what scandal could pop up between the time you vote and election day.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:19 PM   #53
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Is it really inconvenient? One day out of the year to go to a building and vote. I consider putting gas into my car to be more inconvenient and I do that at least once a week.
To people who work irregular hours, are frequently on the road, work two jobs, etc, yes, it's inconvenient. You must work some variation of a M-F, 9-5 job. Most people don't.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:45 PM   #54
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Doesn't the US have really short voting hours? In the UK its 7am to 10pm.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:19 PM   #55
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
This is like saying "doesn't the EU have really {short,long} voting hours?"

Every single state has its own variation.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:23 PM   #56
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post

Hours to vote, early voting and absentee ballots are different for every state. Voting hours in many states are from 6am-9pm with many being open fewer hours. It wasn't unusual for people to wait on line for hours in some states.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:47 PM   #57
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

As long as immigration checks have been done I don't care.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:08 PM   #58
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Hours to vote, early voting and absentee ballots are different for every state. Voting hours in many states are from 6am-9pm with many being open fewer hours. It wasn't unusual for people to wait on line for hours in some states.
The hours in line is more a problem with redistricting and fewer voting locations. You can blame the census for part of that and gerrymandering the districts.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:34 AM   #59
zin
macrumors 6502

Yes, and I think voting should be compulsory.

And for those who don't want to vote because they believe their vote is useless, a logical thought in today's political landscape, then I think that there should be a space on the ballot paper for this choice.

It'd be interesting to see the result under this system relating to the number of people who voted, "Refused to vote because...". It would paint a not-so-nice picture, I think, of how well a country's political system is viewed by its people, and give considerably more incentive for governments to act on this.

Alternatively those who don't normally vote because they don't see themselves as politically involved, they could be swayed into joining the democratic process.
zin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:44 AM   #60
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by zin View Post
Yes, and I think voting should be compulsory.

And for those who don't want to vote because they believe their vote is useless, a logical thought in today's political landscape, then I think that there should be a space on the ballot paper for this choice.

It'd be interesting to see the result under this system relating to the number of people who voted, "Refused to vote because...". It would paint a not-so-nice picture, I think, of how well a country's political system is viewed by its people, and give considerably more incentive for governments to act on this.

Alternatively those who don't normally vote because they don't see themselves as politically involved, they could be swayed into joining the democratic process.
besides the issue of forcing people to do things, I think the problem with compulsory voting is that you get people who, frankly, don't know what the hell they are doing showing up and voting along party lines, or whoever has the best ad campaign
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues