Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:20 AM   #1
DJ Racing
macrumors newbie

2012 Mac Mini power supply

Does anyone know if the 2012 mac mini power supply is pfc? I did some quick searching but can't find a definitive answer. The reason I ask is that I just bought an APC ups. It's the xs 1000 and on the APC site is says that it has a stepped approximation to sine wave. The UPS works excellent and I have both my hackintosh and mac mini on it. Ive tested the battery back up and haven't had any issues. I read some people say that the power supply may hum or the mini would just do a hard shut down. Mine did not hum and continued to run well.

I'd appreciate any answers
DJ Racing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:00 PM   #2
dvdchance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Racing View Post
Does anyone know if the 2012 mac mini power supply is pfc? I did some quick searching but can't find a definitive answer. The reason I ask is that I just bought an APC ups. It's the xs 1000 and on the APC site is says that it has a stepped approximation to sine wave. The UPS works excellent and I have both my hackintosh and mac mini on it. Ive tested the battery back up and haven't had any issues. I read some people say that the power supply may hum or the mini would just do a hard shut down. Mine did not hum and continued to run well.

I'd appreciate any answers
Not sure if this helps you or not, but I have a 2011 base and a APC UPS myself. Just this past Thursday I had a blackout in the morning. My first test of how the APC and Mac play together. All went well. It switched without missing a beat to backup power. I didn't hear a hum at all but the beeping from the APC sure was annoying.

Again, this was a 2011 so I don't know if the 2012 differs in power supply or not.
dvdchance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:06 PM   #3
DJ Racing
macrumors newbie

Thanks, that was the same experience I had. It worked perfectly. I was just concerned about it not being pure sine wave. Not sure if your ups has one, but mine has a mute button that stops the beeping.
DJ Racing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:18 PM   #4
FreakinEurekan
macrumors 68030

No idea what the internals of the power supply look like, but mine also runs fine on my APC UPS.
FreakinEurekan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini