Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nkaufman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Which is preferable - usb or wifi?

With tether via usb it seems that battery life is prolonged but have to take phone out and step out for personal calls which kills internet connection.

With wifi, can move upto 25-30 feet with no connection loss but battery gets drained.

Anything else??

Last edited:

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Some other considerations:

Tethering via Wi-Fi allows for multiple connections.
Tethering via Bluetooth uses less phone battery power, and allows you to make/take phone calls (on some networks) but the data throughput is slower than Wi-Fi.

nkaufman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Some other considerations:

Tethering via Wi-Fi allows for multiple connections.
Tethering via Bluetooth uses less phone battery power, and allows you to make/take phone calls (on some networks) but the data throughput is slower than Wi-Fi.

Nice point about multiple connections on wifi.

Since I have ATT, I can make calls while tethering.

Also, is there a way to confirm that while using USB tethering, the battery is not used but rather the power through the USB port is used? That would be helpful for extended periods of tethering.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Nice point about multiple connections on wifi.

Since I have ATT, I can make calls while tethering.

Also, is there a way to confirm that while using USB tethering, the battery is not used but rather the power through the USB port is used? That would be helpful for extended periods of tethering.

If you use usb tethering it will still charge the phone and tether.
If you do wifi tethering for a while it will eventually eat up your battery unless you have it plugged in to an outlet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.