Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andyyyy

macrumors member
May 27, 2012
I agree with the last part but personally I would rather have a small unobtrusive slit for the speaker than hold it folded open to make a call

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I agree with the last part but personally I would rather have a small unobtrusive slit for the speaker than hold it folded open to make a call

Exactly. Just like they've done with the first BookBook case and its omission of a camera cutout. I think it was a mistake not to include an earpiece cutout.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I've noticed (with this case) that the top and bottom of the iphone is exposed. I have a black iphone and was wondering if this exposure will lead to scratches on it? Thanks! :)

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I've noticed (with this case) that the top and bottom of the iphone is exposed. I have a black iphone and was wondering if this exposure will lead to scratches on it? Thanks! :)

It is likely if you're not careful. Did you understand the purpose of the SurfacePad? It isn't a case.

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
My short review

I have one - I ordered it without really waiting for reviews. I wish I had waited. In short, it is very beautiful, but is completely useless when it comes to practicality.

So the good parts:

1. The leather is very nice, smells good, and looks expensive.
2. It looks sleek and very nice
3. The adhesive is very strong, I have no worries of it ever accidentally coming off. However its still easy to remove if you want to, and I can see it coming off and on as many times as you want.

The bad:

1. What on earth to do with the front flap when taking a call? Take a look at their marketing photos - none of them are actually using the phone, because its terribly awkward.
2. The front flap doesn't stay shut, as there are no magnets on the phone/case.
3. Doing a few 'drop-tests' on a soft landing, the front cover always opens, and the phone goes splat on the screen.
4. It offers no edge protection. If it was a few mm bigger in each direction it would stop the edges of the iPhone coming in contact with anything, but its not. If you drop your phone or put it down on its edge, the metal will hit first, not the leather case (they say its 'not a case', but thats just marketing ;) ).
5. The front flap doesn't wrap around the back very nicely, so two-thumbed typing becomes difficult.

I handed the phone around a few people in the office and they all had the same reaction - looks amazing, but a total pain when it comes to practicality. Again mainly due to what to do with the front flap when actually using the phone!

I want to love it, and i've tried to convince myself, I'm still looking at it now trying to persuade myself as its such a beautiful cover, but in the end - it fails too badly on practicality for me. Returning it won't be an option as it was an international order (to the UK), so i may stick it on ebay.

A lot of money wasted for me ($59.99 with international shipping), I guess its why I usually research things for weeks :D

----------

can anyone confirm for me that if you ordered one online that you received an email back confirming your order from twlevesouthnr@gmail.com

Yes, thats who sends it. I guess they don't realise its pretty easy to have gmail send emails out as _____@yourdomain.com!

---------
An update after a couple of days - the leather has softened and the flap now bends behind the phone a lot easier.

I'm still undecided though- its the most beautiful case, but a bit pointless :)

Last edited:

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
Just to follow up - above is obviously only my opinion.

I can see some people absolutely loving it. If you don't really want a case, then its obviously better than no case at all. I don't want to seem totally negative! :D

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Just got mine today and it is beautiful. I've always used naked iPhones in the past and this only compliments the industrial design and does not distract from it.

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Although originally figured these weren't really my type of case (folding it open to use, etc.), been considering it ever since seeing the OP up top because of the sharp looks (damn you!), but then it caused me to research other folios and now the Spigen catches my eye more, simply because of the idea of being able to use it w/the flap closed (since it has the "slot" for earpiece, etc.).

Thoughts?

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
For those that received their SurfacePad, can you please post some pictures... or video even better. Thanks!

My camera is my phone, so it cant take a photo of itself! ;)

I think I may have found a cheap solution to my issues with this 'case' and the unprotected sides. I've bought a 0.3mm iphone plastic case. I'm going to put this on the phone, and then the SurfacePad. So then the sides are covered, the phone comes out easily, and it still looks like the surfacepad from the front. Its a silly idea, but the 0.3mm case was cheap.

I'll see if i can get pics of my case-merger once it arrives

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
Here's the first video, this guy has a pretty bad camera but wth, it's a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhq082U2_zo
Thank you Adutrumque! It's a little hard to see up close but just enugh to make out how the adhesive attaches to the back of the iPhone 5.

I'll be ordering a black one. I just need a front screen protector and side wrap to protect the bezel from scratches. The built-in stand in back cover is a bonus... I can see it using it on my desk at work (Netflix, video chat, etc)...also just close the front cover when not in use so that it doesn't accumulate dust.

I can see it's a little hard if you make a lot of calls. It's not a deal breaker for me as I don't call a lot and I use a wired and bluetooth headset...and speaker phone.

Last edited:

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
It's a shame it doesn't fold back nicely (maybe some creases would do the trick?). I've used the samsung flip case on the Note 2 and it works pretty well folded back.

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
It's a shame it doesn't fold back nicely (maybe some creases would do the trick?). I've used the samsung flip case on the Note 2 and it works pretty well folded back.
It's weird...on twelvesouth.com website, if you click on "Gallery" there are photos showin the front cover stays on. However, someone commented that it doesn't shutdown (not enough magnet) and it clearly shows on the video.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/surfacepad_iphone/gallery/

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
The video is useless. Why cant this person show how it looks when you phone the back over when trying to make a call? How hard is that?

rperalta

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Hercules, CA
The video is useless. Why cant this person show how it looks when you phone the back over when trying to make a call? How hard is that?
I played the video from twevesouth.com and found two stills that they're talking on the phone at 0.14 and 0.19 seconds.

Attachments

• SurfacePad001.png
    SurfacePad001.png
    245.1 KB · Views: 136
  • SurfacePad002.png
    SurfacePad002.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 141

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
I think I may return it. I got the black one for the 5. Very awkward. I don't like it. Folding back and typing is very hard to do, taking calls feels weird and the flap doesn't even stay shut. :(

But, the packaging was very nice. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.