Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:42 PM   #1
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Helping someone fix their Windows computer?

Hi everyone. I am trying to help someone fix their Windows computer(it's a Dell de051 tower) and according to them, they got a virus which caused the computer to crash. They also claim that it is the fbi virus and their machine does not boot up.

Now, they do have a usb port and I would like to help them but not sure if I am able to do so.

What I have to help:

1. XP SP2 installation disc(retail version)
2. external HDD docking station
3. iBook G4
4. 8GB flash drive

Does anyone know if I can boot that old PC into a form of TDM to reformat the HDD, boot the machine from the 8GB usb, then load the OS onto the original HDD to save the computer? Thank you in advance for any assistance.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:46 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Pull the drive, backup the data, put the drive back in, wipe the drive, reinstall XP, put on some form of antivirus. Windows machines lack Target Disk Mode.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:48 PM   #3
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a
 
Stooby Mcdoobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
You can boot from the installation disc by entering the boot menu (should be one of the F keys during boot up) or changing the boot order in the BIOS. From there, you can erase the HDD and reinstall Windows.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:54 PM   #4
RedCroissant
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Pull the drive, backup the data, put the drive back in, wipe the drive, reinstall XP, put on some form of antivirus. Windows machines lack Target Disk Mode.
So I guess using the external HDD docking station would be good for that. Should I back up the data if there's a virus on the drive? I know that they lack TDM, but I was hoping for something similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooby Mcdoobie View Post
You can boot from the installation disc by entering the boot menu (should be one of the F keys during boot up) or changing the boot order in the BIOS. From there, you can erase the HDD and reinstall Windows.
Yeah, the only problem with that that I forgot to mention was the fact that their ODD isn't working either.

So what I was planning to do was burn the DVD into a bootable .iso file to boot the machine via usb. Or does that just not make sense?
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:55 PM   #5
WhiteIphone5
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lima, Peru
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Hi everyone. I am trying to help someone fix their Windows computer(it's a Dell de051 tower) and according to them, they got a virus which caused the computer to crash. They also claim that it is the fbi virus and their machine does not boot up.

Now, they do have a usb port and I would like to help them but not sure if I am able to do so.

What I have to help:

1. XP SP2 installation disc(retail version)
2. external HDD docking station
3. iBook G4
4. 8GB flash drive

Does anyone know if I can boot that old PC into a form of TDM to reformat the HDD, boot the machine from the 8GB usb, then load the OS onto the original HDD to save the computer? Thank you in advance for any assistance.
F2 for Bios, change order using +,- boot from USB and it may ask to press any key to boot from USB then proceed with installation i believe.
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:08 PM   #6
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a
 
Stooby Mcdoobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
So I guess using the external HDD docking station would be good for that. Should I back up the data if there's a virus on the drive?
You could back up his/her data to a separate drive if there are important files, then scan its contents for malware later on (I would do this in safe mode).

Quote:
Yeah, the only problem with that that I forgot to mention was the fact that their ODD isn't working either.

So what I was planning to do was burn the DVD into a bootable .iso file to boot the machine via usb. Or does that just not make sense?
Microsoft has a bootable Windows USB creation tool, but I'm not sure it will work with an XP disc image. I've used WintoFlash a few times and it works wonderfully. Only problem is you'll need a separate Windows machine (physical or virtual) to use it.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:13 PM   #7
carbonmotion
macrumors 6502a
 
carbonmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Hi everyone. I am trying to help someone fix their Windows computer(it's a Dell de051 tower) and according to them, they got a virus which caused the computer to crash. They also claim that it is the fbi virus and their machine does not boot up.

Now, they do have a usb port and I would like to help them but not sure if I am able to do so.

What I have to help:

1. XP SP2 installation disc(retail version)
2. external HDD docking station
3. iBook G4
4. 8GB flash drive

Does anyone know if I can boot that old PC into a form of TDM to reformat the HDD, boot the machine from the 8GB usb, then load the OS onto the original HDD to save the computer? Thank you in advance for any assistance.
You can try using a linux based bootable USB anti-virus cleaner to clean out the computer. You might be able to avoid a reformat, there might even be a free version of this genre of boot disk somewhere out there.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/...ase/52011.aspx
__________________
Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star.
--Confucius
carbonmotion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:24 PM   #8
RedCroissant
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooby Mcdoobie View Post
You could back up his/her data to a separate drive if there are important files, then scan its contents for malware later on (I would do this in safe mode).



Microsoft has a bootable Windows USB creation tool, but I'm not sure it will work with an XP disc image. I've used WintoFlash a few times and it works wonderfully. Only problem is you'll need a separate Windows machine (physical or virtual) to use it.
What if the person had an external dvd burner?
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:36 PM   #9
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a
 
Stooby Mcdoobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
What if the person had an external dvd burner?
I'm honestly not sure. I've personally never tried to install Windows from an external disc drive, but it's worth a try if you've got one lying around.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:21 AM   #10
RedCroissant
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooby Mcdoobie View Post
I'm honestly not sure. I've personally never tried to install Windows from an external disc drive, but it's worth a try if you've got one lying around.
Well I've decided that I don't have the right tools to help them, so I let them know and that's that.

I'll tell you what though, even discussing this at all has made me realize again how great it is to have a Mac.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:38 PM   #11
hallux
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Don't have all the tools you need? Boot the machine to Safe Mode (press F8 after the BIOS but before the Windows splash screen) and copy all the files needed. Once all the files are backed up, put in the XP CD and boot to it to reinstall Windows.

Where did you get the idea you needed to put the Windows installation onto the flash drive? Sure, it may save time during the installation but that time gets consumed with turning it into a bootable USB flash drive.
__________________
2012 15" MBP, 2.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB Samsung EVO SSD, Hi-Res glossy
2012 Mac Mini 2.5, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
hallux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:29 AM   #12
g4 powerbookboy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
try malware bytes, it is a decent virus removal software for windows crap boxes, if that doesnt work convince them to get a Mac
g4 powerbookboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:36 PM   #13
RedCroissant
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallux View Post
Don't have all the tools you need? Boot the machine to Safe Mode (press F8 after the BIOS but before the Windows splash screen) and copy all the files needed. Once all the files are backed up, put in the XP CD and boot to it to reinstall Windows.

Where did you get the idea you needed to put the Windows installation onto the flash drive? Sure, it may save time during the installation but that time gets consumed with turning it into a bootable USB flash drive.
The reason I needed to put it on a flash drive is because the ODD is broken. They also don't have a copy of XP(so I would have had to relinquish mine which I still need for the occasional IE requirement for school).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4 powerbookboy View Post
try malware bytes, it is a decent virus removal software for windows crap boxes, if that doesnt work convince them to get a Mac
I would consider that if they weren't already reliant on an 8 year-old PC and could afford a Mac of any kind. And I am in no position to give them one(even though I would if it would help).
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:00 PM   #14
malman89
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Might not be applicable for this situation, but due to an incredibly pesky set of trojans my father got on his Windows computer, I settled on Avast due to its nifty boot scan.

That feature alone made me switch by Bootcamp antivirus from AVG Free to Avast.
__________________
Lenovo IdeaPad Z510 running Windows 8.1
Motorola Moto G LTE running Android 4.4.4
Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:14 PM   #15
RedCroissant
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
RedCroissant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
Might not be applicable for this situation, but due to an incredibly pesky set of trojans my father got on his Windows computer, I settled on Avast due to its nifty boot scan.

That feature alone made me switch by Bootcamp antivirus from AVG Free to Avast.
The main "trick" that I use to prevent trojans(even though I don't know where they are) is that I limit the sites that I visit while using XP. For IE, I only visit websites associated with school. Otherwise, I use firefox for finding and downloading programs/applications. And even then I stick to very well-known and reputable sites(CNET, MacUpdate, Macworld...etc).

This way, AVG is still good, and doesn't take up too many resources.
__________________
Welcome to the Grid, Program.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trust this computer message FIX/SOLUTION! adriandvinsk iOS 7 1 Feb 5, 2014 05:21 AM
Is there a function to repair, scan or fix this slow computer MacM4ODA iMac 24 Jul 27, 2013 08:31 PM
how do i fix my macintosh computer macintosh4579 MacBook Air 4 Apr 29, 2013 08:27 PM
Please help! Attempted to fix screen blackout, now computer won't boot at all spacebetty MacBook Pro 11 Apr 24, 2013 07:25 PM
Helping setting up 2 ipads on one computer theanimala iPad 4 Jun 18, 2012 11:06 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC