Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:10 AM   #1
carlsson
macrumors regular

Can't see the subtitles

I have some m4v/mp4 files that have english subtitles. I am able to choose the english subtitle in Quicktime Player on my Mac, but ATV refuses to show them.

Is there a way to force my ATV to show subtitles (I have english subtitles set in ATV preferences)?

If not, is there an app that can burn them in on the movie (couldn't find this option on Subler)?

BTW; I miss a way to get info on movies on the ATV. Eg, during playback I may be curious on what subtitle languages are available. I think I've read about a key combination for this, but I'm not sure...

Tia,
/andreas
carlsson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:16 AM   #2
J@ffa
macrumors 6502a

If you hold down the select button on the Apple TV remote for a few seconds (the metal one), it will flip over from the film to a screen displaying any available subtitles and any alternative audio tracks. If it doesn't, that almost certainly means there aren't any. It would be worth opening some of the files in question in Subler to check they're definitely in the files.
J@ffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:51 PM   #3
carlsson
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by J@ffa View Post
If you hold down the select button on the Apple TV remote for a few seconds (the metal one), it will flip over from the film to a screen displaying any available subtitles and any alternative audio tracks.
This is totally awesome information. Thanks!
carlsson is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater