Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:32 PM   #1
yalag
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Is there an app that will play any video format and organize playlist?

I have an app that allows me to drag any videos into iTune's documents section and it'll go right into the app and it plays it. It's pretty cool. The only thing is, I have 200 videos in it and there's no organization tool (folders, playlists etc) in the app.

Is there an app that can play all videos and have great organizations?
yalag is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yalag View Post
I have an app that allows me to drag any videos into iTune's documents section and it'll go right into the app and it plays it. It's pretty cool. The only thing is, I have 200 videos in it and there's no organization tool (folders, playlists etc) in the app.

Is there an app that can play all videos and have great organizations?
Do you want to play back those videos after synching them to your iPhone, or, via streaming?
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Menel
macrumors 601
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by yalag View Post
I have an app that allows me to drag any videos into iTune's documents section and it'll go right into the app and it plays it. It's pretty cool. The only thing is, I have 200 videos in it and there's no organization tool (folders, playlists etc) in the app.

Is there an app that can play all videos and have great organizations?
AcePlayer does.

Can stream from DLNA server. e.g. PS3 Media Server
Can save/download from DLNA server.
Can copy into iTunes documents folder.
mkv, mp4, mpeg, etc etc. Best to run your videos through Handbrake into a mobile optimized m4v format for best battery life.
It can also airplay the m4v properly encoded files to an AppleTV.

Once downloaded/copied into the App's storage. Can create folders and/or playlists.
__________________
iPhone 6 • iPad Air • Mac mini (i5, 2011)
Menel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:40 PM   #4
yalag
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Do you want to play back those videos after synching them to your iPhone, or, via streaming?
syncing
yalag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yalag View Post
syncing
Let me ask the question in another way: do you plan to stick with synching via the Movies tab in iTunes, or, are you ready to transfer the files via iTunes File Sharing, that is, via the Apps tab?

The recommended app depends on this. Very few third-party apps are able to access videos synched in the first way; for example, the most recommended thee ones (AVPlayerHD, GoodPlayer, It's Playing) can't.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:52 PM   #6
yalag
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Let me ask the question in another way: do you plan to stick with synching via the Movies tab in iTunes, or, are you ready to transfer the files via iTunes File Sharing, that is, via the Apps tab?

The recommended app depends on this. Very few third-party apps are able to access videos synched in the first way; for example, the most recommended thee ones (AVPlayerHD, GoodPlayer, It's Playing) can't.
The second way would be fine, I'm already using that for my current app. It's just that the organization of videos sucks right now.
yalag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yalag View Post
The second way would be fine, I'm already using that for my current app. It's just that the organization of videos sucks right now.
Then, you have a lot of apps to choose from. The three most recommended, generic video player apps, AVPlayerHD, GoodPlayer and It's Playing, unfortunately, don't support playlists. However, they all support folders. Therefore, if you don't plan to put your videos on more than one playlist, they may all be OK for you - just use folders as if they were playlists.

Of course, there are a lot of players that natively support playlists; it's just that I don't recommend them as generic, all-in-one players because, in many respects, they're inferior to the three players recommended above. In the list below, I provide you with a quick evaluation of these app and also point out in which cases (with what kinds of material) you can use them as effectively as the above-mentioned three players.

Note that I've also provided a quick tutorial on adding videos to the playlist in the following list:


yaPlayer (if all you want is playing back mov / mp4 / m4v files and not, say, MKV's with AC3, this may be an excellent choice. See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16321816 for more info. Note that playlists are called Video Groups in the app)

RockPlayer2 (also a sound choice for mov / mp4 / m4v playback but in no way for MKV's. See http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...48&postcount=9 for more info.

VM Player HD (has a considerably inferior H.264 decoder than yaPlayer or the three most recommended players. However, its hardware playback is still flawless.)

LuberPlayer (I don't recommend this title at all - see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1496138 for the why's)

AcePlayer (add movies under Media Explorer > Documents > edit (upper right icon) > select > Third (iTunes) icon; playback (and removing titles from playlists via the Tools icon): “Playlist” in the main menu)

HD Player Pro (your only choice if you have SSA subtitles; add /edit playlist under Playlists tab; selected playback works)

Oplayer (recommended only for HW-assisted mov / mp4 / m4v playback; last-but-one + icon in every row after creating a playlist in the second item from the top in the top left main menu)

BUZZ Player (not recommended for MKV playback; otherwise, decent; move via Edit > select the item(s) > arrow icon)

etc.

(Note that it's not possible to synch video playlists from the desktop iTunes to iOS, unlike with audio ones. Another long-time problem with iOS.)
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:05 PM   #8
yalag
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Then, you have a lot of apps to choose from. The three most recommended, generic video player apps, AVPlayerHD, GoodPlayer and It's Playing, unfortunately, don't support playlists. However, they all support folders. Therefore, if you don't plan to put your videos on more than one playlist, they may all be OK for you - just use folders as if they were playlists.

Of course, there are a lot of players that natively support playlists; it's just that I don't recommend them as generic, all-in-one players because, in many respects, they're inferior to the three players recommended above. In the list below, I provide you with a quick evaluation of these app and also point out in which cases (with what kinds of material) you can use them as effectively as the above-mentioned three players.

Note that I've also provided a quick tutorial on adding videos to the playlist in the following list:


yaPlayer (if all you want is playing back mov / mp4 / m4v files and not, say, MKV's with AC3, this may be an excellent choice. See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16321816 for more info. Note that playlists are called Video Groups in the app)

RockPlayer2 (also a sound choice for mov / mp4 / m4v playback but in no way for MKV's. See http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...48&postcount=9 for more info.

VM Player HD (has a considerably inferior H.264 decoder than yaPlayer or the three most recommended players. However, its hardware playback is still flawless.)

LuberPlayer (I don't recommend this title at all - see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1496138 for the why's)

AcePlayer (add movies under Media Explorer > Documents > edit (upper right icon) > select > Third (iTunes) icon; playback (and removing titles from playlists via the Tools icon): “Playlist” in the main menu)

HD Player Pro (your only choice if you have SSA subtitles; add /edit playlist under Playlists tab; selected playback works)

Oplayer (recommended only for HW-assisted mov / mp4 / m4v playback; last-but-one + icon in every row after creating a playlist in the second item from the top in the top left main menu)

BUZZ Player (not recommended for MKV playback; otherwise, decent; move via Edit > select the item(s) > arrow icon)

etc.

(Note that it's not possible to synch video playlists from the desktop iTunes to iOS, unlike with audio ones. Another long-time problem with iOS.)
Thanks Menneisyys2 that was really helpful. But I guess the main question is, is it possible to organize those "folders" quickly either on the iOS or via some other admin tool on the desktop/web? I ask this because, suppose I sync 200 vidoes into the app via the iTunes documents panel. I'll now have to go into the app and manually select each one of the 200 and put them into folders. What's the best way to do this?
yalag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yalag View Post
Thanks Menneisyys2 that was really helpful. But I guess the main question is, is it possible to organize those "folders" quickly either on the iOS or via some other admin tool on the desktop/web? I ask this because, suppose I sync 200 vidoes into the app via the iTunes documents panel. I'll now have to go into the app and manually select each one of the 200 and put them into folders. What's the best way to do this?
As

1, not even the latest (11) iTunes with the latest (6.1) iOS can transfer directories to devices via the standardized iTunes File Sharing and

2, unlike, say, GoodReader, most? all? multimedia players can't be given a ZIP with subfolders in it,

your only choice is directly transferring the folder structure from your desktop to your app's Documents directory. This works just fine with iExplorer and any number / depth of subfolders (just tested it with my iPhone 5 running on 6.1).
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:44 PM   #10
yalag
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
As

1, not even the latest (11) iTunes with the latest (6.1) iOS can transfer directories to devices via the standardized iTunes File Sharing and

2, unlike, say, GoodReader, most? all? multimedia players can't be given a ZIP with subfolders in it,

your only choice is directly transferring the folder structure from your desktop to your app's Documents directory. This works just fine with iExplorer and any number / depth of subfolders (just tested it with my iPhone 5 running on 6.1).
How do I transfer the folder structure into the Documents directory? As far as I know you can do transfer files into an app via iTunes?
yalag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:08 PM   #11
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by yalag View Post
How do I transfer the folder structure into the Documents directory?
Get iExplorer, start it, navigate to Apps > (playername) > Documents and drag-and-drop the directory structure UNDER Documents.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yalag View Post
As far as I know you can do transfer files into an app via iTunes?
Only files - but not directories, that is, the ones you asked for.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:10 PM   #12
yalag
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
[QUOTE=Menneisyys2;16777811]Get iExplorer, start it, navigate to Apps > (playername) > Documents and drag-and-drop the directory structure UNDER Documents.


Oh interesting, I missed the part where you mentioned iExplorer. I will get that and try it. So the top 3 apps you suggested will respect the folder structure I setup with iExplorer?
yalag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:19 AM   #13
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
[QUOTE=yalag;16777828]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Get iExplorer, start it, navigate to Apps > (playername) > Documents and drag-and-drop the directory structure UNDER Documents.


Oh interesting, I missed the part where you mentioned iExplorer. I will get that and try it. So the top 3 apps you suggested will respect the folder structure I setup with iExplorer?
All the three of them.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iTunes Playlist format question Keukasmallie Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Apr 9, 2013 05:55 AM
Play any video format on iPhone 5/4S mandark100 iPhone 15 Mar 11, 2013 06:41 PM
App for Video Gamers: Wewana:Play Wishmonger iPhone and iPod touch Apps 1 Dec 14, 2012 05:57 AM
How to Play Music in Serial (Playlist) Non-Stop from iPad ? vish26 iPad 3 Sep 23, 2012 05:15 AM
Using Podcast App (video) some play (TWiT) and some don’t (CNet) Julien iPad 6 Jul 20, 2012 02:59 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC