Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Which is the lighter weight browser when it comes to disk writes? I don't mind both browsers so I want to choose the one that is going to give me the most SSD life.

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
I cannot answer you that, but that caching will occur on both and will not impact your SSD's life.

Normally modern SSDs have a theoretical write/read limit of 10,000 to 100,000 cycles (P/E cycles), meaning if you had a 64 GB SSD and its cycle limit would be 10,000, you would have to write 625 TB to it, which would be 351 GB per day everyday for the next five years. Assuming those numbers vary and it would only be a tenth of that, it would still mean 35 GB per day, which under normal usage no average computer consumer does, not even with temporary files.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
I cannot answer you that, but that caching will occur on both and will not impact your SSD's life.

Normally modern SSDs have a theoretical write/read limit of 10,000 to 100,000 cycles (P/E cycles), meaning if you had a 64 GB SSD and its cycle limit would be 10,000, you would have to write 625 TB to it, which would be 351 GB per day everyday for the next five years. Assuming those numbers vary and it would only be a tenth of that, it would still mean 35 GB per day, which under normal usage no average computer consumer does, not even with temporary files.

hit 46gb of writes yesterday and wasn't even working with video haha. Pretty sure this SSD only has 3000-5000 P/E cycles by the way

Nov 28, 2010
located
hit 46gb of writes yesterday and wasn't even working with video haha

What did you do then? Do you have an external HDD connected? And how did you get that number of 46 GB of writes?

I for example have had 100 GB of writes with several external HDDs connected in almost three days, but many of those written GBs were data copied from the SSD to the HDD.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
What did you do then? Do you have an external HDD connected? And how did you get that number of 46 GB of writes?

I for example have had 100 GB of writes with several external HDDs connected in almost three days, but many of those written GBs were data copied from the SSD to the HDD.

Well I had photoshop open all day working on large and small files saving every 15 minutes average. I watched a few MP4 videos for about 1.5 hours, also had Adobe Illustrator open at the same time but only using it about 20% of the time. Had iTunes playing most of the day (music), skype open with 2 calls during the day (non video), Apple Mail constantly open with two accounts set up in it, Safari browsing macrumors, idling Facebook, 500px, dribbble and the occassional google image search. Was doing all this for about 14 hours.

No external drives by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.