Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:18 AM   #1
BubbaMonkey
macrumors newbie

Legality of GarageBand Sounds for App

Hello,

I am currently developing an application which contains a portion that relies on (at least for now) Garageband-generated sounds. Of course, these sounds are generated through the software, which I think would make them my creation--just as if I had played a note on an instrument. However, they are very short sounds--just a single virtual instrument at a time--which is where I am concerned that I could be violating Apple's license--(you may not use, extract or distribute, commercially or otherwise, on a standalone basis, any photographs, images, graphics, artwork, audio, video or similar assets).

Furthermore, I was wondering if there was a better way to obtain instrument sounds of each note on the musical scale.

Thanks,
Jacob
BubbaMonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:42 AM   #2
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
IANAL, but I believe that it's perfectly legal to use any sounds from GarageBand - a music composition program you purchased - in any app you develop, whether you intend to charge for it or not.

FWIW, all of the audio in any of my apps is done with GarageBand... Collision sounds are generally just a single "note" from a software percussion kit.

Your safest route is to always to ask an actual lawyer, of course.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming