Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:09 PM   #1
VTECaddict
macrumors 6502

Make Finder arrange/sort folders first?

Is there a way to make Finder sort folders first? I don't recall having to tweak Lion and it sorted folders first at the top (or near the top). Upgraded Lion to ML and now Folders are in some random place.

I'm using column view with Arrange by Kind, then Sort by Name...the same as I had it in Lion.
VTECaddict is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:27 PM   #2
legendzm
macrumors member

http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/
legendzm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:35 PM   #3
VTECaddict
macrumors 6502

Any free methods? Seems counter intuitive to pay 90% the price of the whole OS for one little tweak (don't care for the other features TotalFinder offers).
VTECaddict is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:16 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Snow Leopard - Finder - Sort folders first, then files (works for more than just SL)
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:51 AM   #5
VTECaddict
macrumors 6502

Not working for me. Doesn't open properly in Text Edit.

Tried PlistEditPro and the change looks like it stuck, but no difference in Finder even after relaunching.

Tried the terminal commands that converts it to XML first and I get an error converting back to binary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 9.45.04 AM.png
Views:	272
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	349993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 9.50.21 AM.png
Views:	221
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	349994  
VTECaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:14 PM   #6
matt2053
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
If you read the thread you see it doesn't work in Snow Leopard just like it won't work in Mountain Lion.

The only options I know of are to purchase Total Finder or PathFinder.
matt2053 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:55 PM   #7
sh0vel
macrumors member

XtraFinder - a free option:

http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/
sh0vel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:19 PM   #8
VTECaddict
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0vel View Post
XtraFinder - a free option:

http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/
Thanks, but didnt work for me.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:57 AM   #9
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Is there a way to make Finder sort folders first? I don't recall having to tweak Lion and it sorted folders first at the top (or near the top). Upgraded Lion to ML and now Folders are in some random place.

I'm using column view with Arrange by Kind, then Sort by Name...the same as I had it in Lion.

Just noticed this today as well after installing 10.8. It's so stupid too, because in 10.6 and before, it always sorted folders first. Then suddenly in 10.7 they did it the other way around where files came first. Now in 10.8 they've gone back again, and of course I'm used to the 10.7 way
Stridder44 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:58 PM   #10
VTECaddict
macrumors 6502

So I was playing around with the settings, and if you choose arrange by Name, it arranges things alphabetically by file extension with folders first.

I'd still like to be able to arrange by kind with folders first so i have the category dividers though.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 09:12 AM   #11
vasko.dinkov
macrumors newbie

Smile

Quote:
Not working for me. Doesn't open properly in Text Edit.

Tried PlistEditPro and the change looks like it stuck, but no difference in Finder even after relaunching.

Tried the terminal commands that converts it to XML first and I get an error converting back to binary.
This still works just fine in Lion or Mountain Lion BUT with small changes. To open the "/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings" file, you can use TextWrangler (http://www.barebones.com/products/TextWrangler/), for example. Then edit the following part:

Code:
	<key>Folder</key>
	<string>Folder</string>
for example, like this:

Code:
	<key>Folder</key>
	<string>111Folder</string>
and restart Finder. It won't work any more in Lion+ if you simply use an empty space or a symbol such as "." or "~". So I guess "111" is pretty safe alternative.

That's it! Cheers!
vasko.dinkov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 09:41 AM   #12
skadd
macrumors member

XtraFinder actually looks better than TotalFinder which is funny because it's free.
skadd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:11 AM   #13
westonm
macrumors member

Arrange by kind still sorts folders first in ML for me?
westonm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 04:21 PM   #14
Jenni8
macrumors member

Works for me!

The above tip to adjust the string as I had in Lion is a great one as on ML it stopped working. Although I installed XtraFinder and it's WAY better than Total Finder which is not free and a CPU hog. I like the tabs and other features. Now in order for me to get the XtraFinder to work was to open it and check all the features I want. Then I restarted Finder and then started XtraFinder again and all the added features were there. The tabs seems a little glitchy, but it does clearly say in parenthesis that it's experimental. So far I'm pleased. If the XtraFinder seems too good to be true in the long run I might just go back to using the above tip for the Finder strings file.
Jenni8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 04:30 PM   #15
LxHunter
macrumors regular

I use a kluge method.
I put a space at the start of the name of a folder.
Goes to the top.
LxHunter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:23 PM   #16
prcRLC
macrumors newbie

Using OSX Lion, I tried using TextWrangler to insert 111:

<key>Folder</key>
<string>111Folder</string>

However, TextWrangler won't let me save it directly, as a backup, or in an alternate location. I get a message saying the file can't be saved (error 20004).

The kludge works.

Kinda hard to understand why the Apple programmers don't give us an easy way to sort both by kind and alphabetical.
prcRLC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:36 AM   #17
aoitsukinosuke
macrumors regular

Not exactly folders first, but closest that I could figure out.
PDFS and shortcuts are lined up right before the folders.

Might work for you till you get exactly what you want.

Arrange by : None
Sort by : Kind
aoitsukinosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:00 AM   #18
krigsmakten
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxHunter View Post
I use a kluge method.
I put a space at the start of the name of a folder.
Goes to the top.
The old Windows approach - can't get Win to do things your way? Change your ways... Sad, and not Mac-like.

What annoys me is that I can't reverse sort order on the desktop - I want the newest items at the bottom. arrrgh.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:31 AM   #19
slumpey326
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thanks, but didnt work for me.
it works with xtrafinder, you need to enable it in the settings first.
slumpey326 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013, 04:59 PM   #20
wingedturbo
macrumors newbie

This works even in Mountian Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
To make folders sort before files in Finder:

1. Open Finder and navigate to this path:
Attachment 198137
2. Right-click on Finder and select "Show Package Contents":
Attachment 198138
3. In the window that opens, navigate to this path:
Attachment 198140
4. Right-click on InfoPlist.strings and open with TextEdit:
Attachment 198141
5. In the line "Folder" = "Folder"; add a space between the open quote and the "F" in the 2nd occurrence of the word "Folder", as shown here:
Attachment 198142
6. Save and close the file, entering your admin password when prompted.
7. Click  > Force Quit P7
8. Relaunch Finder P8

Guys, just tested this in Mountain Lion and it works. You need a plist editing app to properly see the file though. Also, make sure you "Arrange by" none. This will allow you to sort using the bar at the top of the window with the category headings where you can click "kind". If you "Arrange by" kind, then you're stuck with their sort method. After saving the file all I needed to do was quit from Finder (something you couldn't do in previous versions of OSX) and then relaunch.
wingedturbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2014, 09:51 PM   #21
Frayzhe
macrumors newbie

I don't think you need to mess with the hacks (which are bound to break when updates are applied) or other apps (which aren't free) to get what you want. This was driving me nuts for a long time, but I think I found a solution that works with "Arrange by Kind" for both icon and columns view (in Mavericks at least, I haven't tested previous versions).

If you go to the Spotlight system preference and re-order the categories there, it also controls the ordering of the categorized groups of files in the Finder. As simple as that. Would love to know if others find that this works for them, too.
Frayzhe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:27 PM   #22
Guardsix
macrumors member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayzhe View Post
I don't think you need to mess with the hacks (which are bound to break when updates are applied) or other apps (which aren't free) to get what you want. This was driving me nuts for a long time, but I think I found a solution that works with "Arrange by Kind" for both icon and columns view (in Mavericks at least, I haven't tested previous versions).

If you go to the Spotlight system preference and re-order the categories there, it also controls the ordering of the categorized groups of files in the Finder. As simple as that. Would love to know if others find that this works for them, too.
That's it! If no one has said, "Thanks for this solution, I will. Thanks!"
Guardsix is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion